Notices

Boat Lift Question

Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Lift Question

Most boat lift manufacturers recommend to put the center of gravity of the boat in the middle of the lift. In some cases (mine) the bunks will end a couple feet before the transom. When a picture of a boat on a short trailer is posted there are many comments on "hooking" the hull. Will the same happen on a lift? Is there a good compromise on location?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by jvcobra
Most boat lift manufacturers recommend to put the center of gravity of the boat in the middle of the lift. In some cases (mine) the bunks will end a couple feet before the transom. When a picture of a boat on a short trailer is posted there are many comments on "hooking" the hull. Will the same happen on a lift? Is there a good compromise on location?
This will absolutely happen on a lift, probably worse on a lift. Often, lifts have even less contact points with the hull than a trailer.

Such is the reason that Myco builds cradles for boat lifts as well as trailers. http://www.mycotrailers.com/MYCO-Custom-Boat-Lifts.htm

Not only do you need to have your bunks extend to or slightly past your transom, but they also need to be supported. 4 feet of wood bunks sticking aft of the last cross support on the lift is no better than having the boat hanging off the back of short bunks. A solution for this would be long boxed metal bunks that have a wood cap on them.

FWIW, also a boat lift must also be cut to fit/match step bottom boats. I have seen step bottom boats stored on flat bunks on lifts, and this can/will screw up the steps.