Notices

#6 drives

Old 05-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #6 drives

I was curious on how expensive it really is to run #6 drives. I know it depends on how hard u run them, driving style, and how u maintain them. I've heard numbers like 3k for routine servicing.....
Old 05-07-2014, 03:41 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My father has #6's hooked to nxt trannies with merc 700's. He broke port last summer. $15K to fix. Out of my league. I'll stick to the XR's until I win the lotto!

He has 12K in props.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I think it depends on who you have repair them. For starters, not many shops service them, so you are at the mercy of a small elite crew that service the SSM drives. This is where things get fuzzy.

For example, a couple years back, oso Member Mike Tkach, sent both his #6 Dry Sumps to a big name offshore place. After waiting about a month or two, to even hear what the drives needed, he finally got a call. ''Uh yea, Mike, your drives need to be totally rebuilt. Its gonna run ya about 25k for the pair".

Mike almost fell off his chair. Keep in mind, these were working drives, not greneded, but did have a seal issue from what I recall. He more or less wanted the checked out from a maintainance standpoint. Long story short, I advised my buddy Mike, to go pick up his parts, and pay what he owed for the teardown. Which he did. He then shipped both drives to Collabella Performance, in St. Cloud, FL. I think his total cost, was somewhere around 10-12k, for both drives to be rebuilt and gone thru. That's almost 15k LESS than the previous shop wanted. Same shop did the same to another friend of mine on a pair of SSM 4 drives years back. Funny how 4 working drives sent in for maintainance were all of a sudden junk and needed everything new, every nut, bolt, bearing, spacer, collar, pin, gear, shaft, etc.

What I am getting at I think is, just like anything, you need to find a guy/shop you trust. The going labor rate to tear down and assemble a #6 is around 1000 dollars. That's labor only, but imo really not bad because they are a lot of work to properly set up. The six is a great drive, can take some power, and is relatively fast. But they have their limits too. 15-20 years ago, having a pair of #6's behind a pair of 800's in a Top Gun, you rarely hurt them. Nowadays, with the high x dimensions, 6 blade 18'' props, and mega power forced induction engines in very fast hulls turning high pitch props, their not as bullet proof as they once were considered to be. But, they are still pretty much at the top from a stern drive standpoint.

Some options for guys who service the #6's

Craig at Collabella Performance

Randy at Marine Drives

Brian Jackson at offshore outdrives

Matt at TNT marine

John at Dollar Offshore
Old 05-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Vern Gilbert at Weat Coast Drives in Havasu!! The best!! And also does TRUE DRY SUMP CONVERSIONS!!
Old 05-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Collabella has my vote. 3 weeks from the day they left my shop in il on a truck til i was back on the water. Around 3500 if i recall to have both drives tore down and reassembled with all the basic parts and fluid. Didn't include the gears i needed but everything else. Granted these were #5s, but i thought he was very reasonable. I think a 6 is like any other drive. Could last an hour, could last 15 years. Just depends how you treat it and who put it together.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by CLA
My father has #6's hooked to nxt trannies with merc 700's. He broke port last summer. $15K to fix. Out of my league. I'll stick to the XR's until I win the lotto!

He has 12K in props.
He broke a # 6 with a 700??
Old 05-07-2014, 07:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

+1 for Craig Colabella. He "went through" my #6's when they had 360 hours on them. It was waaaay more than fair and less money than I see any one else talking about. Might have been the 12 Bud Lights that I dropped off with the drives. I highly recommend him...
Old 05-07-2014, 09:53 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
Yes. Motors have Whipple kits.

He bought the boat sight unseen from a big name dealer. The skeg had been welded on so I drained the oil.
It was full of metal. I changed the oil and it made it about 1 month before blowing up. I think it had contacted something in the water with the previous owner. Boat dealers bro.....
Old 05-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER

It's more common than you would think.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:42 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Collabella fixed mine!
He's my vote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.