Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cordless Power Tools for working on boats, trailers, and everything else. >

Cordless Power Tools for working on boats, trailers, and everything else.

Notices

Cordless Power Tools for working on boats, trailers, and everything else.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dagnabit...I'm happy with my 18v Dewalt cordless drill. Just bought new batts yesterday after 8+ years. (gotta love Chase reward points= Lowes gift cards)
My only comparison prior; were old 9v Makita(s) that dated back to mid-80's, so, that doesnt say much.
Someone mentioned speaker holes.....new Rotozip is awesome for it. Granted its not cordless, but its sheer awesomeness makes up for it. Done many a speaker & dash holes with it.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I keep one of these on the boat. Impact driver for sockets and screws. Simply amazing and small, incredible powerful for it's size. It prob won't break a lug but loose, but it will break loose any bolt in your engine bay. With this little guy I can change my impeller in about 3 mins, no joke. And for around the house it will drive 4 inch screws into wood with no pre-drilling

Best tool I own all around. I have the 18v snap on 1/2 for lug nuts

Old 05-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Dewalt = Black & Decker.. Go Makita!!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love all my Hilti tools and they back up there tools.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:51 AM
Registered

On a construction site that I'm on, it's all hilti, wondered about their quality / durability etc
Old 05-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

+1 On Ryobi sucking now.

I had ALL the tools and eventually after all the batteries went dead I bought some new batteries and some new LiPo tools and they all SUCKED. The old ones lasted 5 years thru tough projects.

I actually bought a tool box for the inside of my truck at Sears last week has anybody weighed their new 18V lineup. They look pretty robust.

http://www.craftsman.com/search=18v%20cordless%20drill

Just wondering, I always liked their replacement policy...
Old 05-14-2014, 09:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
I keep one of these on the boat. Impact driver for sockets and screws. Simply amazing and small, incredible powerful for it's size. It prob won't break a lug but loose, but it will break loose any bolt in your engine bay. With this little guy I can change my impeller in about 3 mins, no joke. And for around the house it will drive 4 inch screws into wood with no pre-drilling

Best tool I own all around. I have the 18v snap on 1/2 for lug nuts

I have the exact same thing only it is the drill. I was doing some work on my wife's co workers house for her and forgot my drill so I went down to one of the stores and picked up one of these. I have had it for probably 3 or 4 years and only used it maybe 4 times in that amount of time. It has been kept in it's box with no battery installed I went to charge the batteries this past weekend and neither one of them would charge. Now if was a Ridgid I would just send them the batteries and or charger and they would fix or replace, I do not have that option with the Milwaukee.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A while back I picked up a new in box Rigid 18 volt impact driver and drill kit. After doing some research I read a ton of horror stories about the "lifetime service agreement". Some people had good luck, others took months to get new batteries. I ended up swapping for a Milwaukee Fuel 18V impact driver. I'm a light duty user and could get by with anything but the new brushless stuff from Milwaukee and Makita is amazing. Was really suprised when doing research how crappy dewault is now. On the message boards that catered to pro's (construction, mechanics, etc) they're considered crap.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:26 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a bunch of 18V craftsman tools and the tools have held up exceptionally well.....but the damn Ni-cad batteries do not last 2 years anymore. Last fall I bought a couple Lithium Ion batteries so we'll see how long they last. Even my 12-14 year old drill still works fine so no idea what the replacement policy is on those tools but the batteries aren't warrantied for very long.

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
+1 On Ryobi sucking now.

I had ALL the tools and eventually after all the batteries went dead I bought some new batteries and some new LiPo tools and they all SUCKED. The old ones lasted 5 years thru tough projects.

I actually bought a tool box for the inside of my truck at Sears last week has anybody weighed their new 18V lineup. They look pretty robust.

http://www.craftsman.com/search=18v%20cordless%20drill

Just wondering, I always liked their replacement policy...
Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Techtronic Industries manufactures power tools for Ryobi, Ridgid, Milwaukee, and Craftsman. The service agreement seems like a good deal though if you ever have to replace or repair anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techtronic_Industries

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.