Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Do you tow with your cockpit cover on or off? >

Do you tow with your cockpit cover on or off?

Notices

Do you tow with your cockpit cover on or off?

Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've towed my boat with the cockpit cover on twice; the first time I towed the boat home after taking delivery at Havasu, and then my next trip to Havasu. Both times the cover blew off. Haven't towed with the cockpit cover on since, have only been caught in the rain twice, and with my normal routine and regular clean-ups and interior maintenance, the interior looks great. Towing distance is typically 800 miles, done in one day.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had two snaps come undone. The flapping of the snaps beat a hole in the paint all the way to the fiberglass. Not a fan of towing with the cover on. I'd rather clean the interior then patch paint. Sure you can tape, but that may come undone as well. Not worth the risk to me.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

My exact experience 3 weeks ago. I'm using Gaff Tape next time - it doesn't leave a sticky residue behind.
Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA
My cover stays on great but when I get to where I'm going and pull the cover there are dead bugs everywhere. I didn't want to use tape but I like the shrink wrap idea.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:12 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

4" shrink wrap/preservation tape across the front.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shrinkwrap-P...95f8ea&vxp=mtr
Old 05-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
4" shrink wrap/preservation tape across the front.
Thanks, I need to order a roll before I pick up the VR 1.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by In2Deep
I've towed my boat with the cockpit cover on twice; the first time I towed the boat home after taking delivery at Havasu, and then my next trip to Havasu. Both times the cover blew off. Haven't towed with the cockpit cover on since, have only been caught in the rain twice, and with my normal routine and regular clean-ups and interior maintenance, the interior looks great. Towing distance is typically 800 miles, done in one day.
Sorry for brief hijack In2Deep how do you get into Travis now?
Old 05-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off on the way there, on going home and luckily it stays on fine.

Has some pretty stiff snaps all the way around, and the cover came with the boat.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I always tow with mine on and never a problem. I would hate to see road dirt and/or rain inside… A lot of things come in to play. Someone already mentioned fit and padded liner but more importantly, the cover must be tight to eliminate flapping. Mine is so tight, it’s a battle to get the last couple snaps snapped. I also believe that the orientation of the front snaps is very important. For example – My last boat was a 32 Sunsation SSR with the cover snapped to the front of the top edge of the fairing (horizontal plane). A buddy of mine has the same boat but the cover runs down over the fairing and snaps to the top of the deck (vertical plane). His gets air under it creating lift resulting in unsnapping. He combats that by tying a string between the mid-ship cleats. If mine would have gotten air the snaps would have to pull forward for them to unsnap which is highly unlikely. At least it’s never happened in the several thousand miles that I pulled it. My 36 has the same cover and no issues whatsoever.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Go Big
I had two snaps come undone. The flapping of the snaps beat a hole in the paint all the way to the fiberglass. Not a fan of towing with the cover on. I'd rather clean the interior then patch paint. Sure you can tape, but that may come undone as well. Not worth the risk to me.
By the way, it was the back corner that came off and beat the **** out of my paint.