Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Do you tow with your cockpit cover on or off? >

Do you tow with your cockpit cover on or off?

Notices

Do you tow with your cockpit cover on or off?

Old 05-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you tow with your cockpit cover on or off?

Has anyone had their paint rubbed off from the cover going down the highway? Mine won't stay on anyway at about 55 mph it catches air and peels back like a sardine can. I've had my interior get wet twice from the rain. What I'm thinking is run a piece of duct tape across the front to keep the air from going underneath if I have to drive threw rain. Just looking to maybe learn something new, thanks for any input.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nova26
Has anyone had their paint rubbed off from the cover going down the highway? Mine won't stay on anyway at about 55 mph it catches air and peels back like a sardine can. I've had my interior get wet twice from the rain. What I'm thinking is run a piece of duct tape across the front to keep the air from going underneath if I have to drive threw rain. Just looking to maybe learn something new, thanks for any input.
Here we go again, really its about the cover set up and aero on your boat some boats just cant be done, Ive had 3 Formula's and no issues, must be tight and not have a pole that will give way, snap or poke thru is best, when on a long trailer run I have used shrink wrap tape which works really well, Id use that over duct tape
Old 05-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

My cover stays on great but when I get to where I'm going and pull the cover there are dead bugs everywhere. I didn't want to use tape but I like the shrink wrap idea.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We use a white hull tape that is sold by by the shrink wrap distributors. It holds well in the wind and does not leave any residue. Duct tape is a mess, especially in the summer. We also had a clear strip of vinyl sewn on the from edge of our cover to get good adhesion.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Painters tape. The vinyl kind and not paper. You're set
Old 05-14-2014, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On. But I get the bugs too. Carry a vacuum.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:56 PM
Registered

I used this while towing my boat home from illinois last spring during the monsoon season. It worked flawlessly and removed clean.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/ScotchBlue-...6EC/203878655/
Old 05-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Registered

Use shrink wrap tape, you don't want to use duct tape it will leave all the sticky glue on the boat when you peel it off. Ask me how I know
Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Registered

IMHO, best to leave it off. Depends on the speed, fasteners, fabric, etc. Fasteners (snaps, turnbuckles, etc.) will beat the chit out of your gel/paint if the front edge comes loose. Sunbrella and abrasive woven fabrics are like 300 grit sandpaper at high speeds - just ask Flori-duh boat owners after the last hurricane. It'll wear the surface off of anything. I wouldn't on any boat of mine.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
Painters tape. The vinyl kind and not paper. You're set
This right here. I don't like towing with the cover because it does fly off on mine.. Learned the hard way lol. But blue painters tape, no residue, holds firm and easy to remove. Use that across the front and it won't peel back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.