Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1000 Islands poker run. Will it be the last One? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31271-1000-islands-poker-run-will-last-one.html)

ronrally 08-19-2002 08:40 PM

1000 Islands poker run. Will it be the last One?

I was reading through a lot of posts about the poker run next weekend and thinking about the years that have past. It occurred to me that there is a frightening trend. About ten years ago when I first saw it, there were a handfull of boats that would do 100 mph. Now there are probably a handfull that won't. A couple of years ago they turned the parade of power into a dial in 90 mph-max event. They did well to slow down things in front of Gananoque, but what about the rest of the course. Is it just a matter of time before something bad happens? I wonder if the event has evolved as fast as the boats have? Are there any new rules or safety precautions. I'm sure that we'll see 170 mph+ this year. Is the 1000 Islands ready for that? Does anybody have any thoughts?

Jay_98ca 08-19-2002 11:14 PM

Well Ron,Lets put it this way.Alot of these guys run together alot and know one another,You still get the odd ball.But the main problem is the spectator boats.They don't know enough to stay back when a marshall boat tells them.I know that Power boating takes alot of pride in safety and has its drivers meetings.They also split the groups up and the authorities are on hand in the meetings to tell them obey or else. I think we have a good track record here and proud of it.I would like to keep it that way.

Hustler 26 08-20-2002 12:13 AM

Like Jay says. The spectator boats are a concern. Each year there are more and they seem to crowd the course trying for the perfect viewing spot.

As for the issue of speed. We all know that this is not a race but a POKER RUN. Lets hope that we can all be professionals and make this and all other runs safe. ;)

C_Spray 08-20-2002 12:25 AM

While I can't speak officially...

I've had conversations with several of the key Poker Run organizers, and I can assure you that most of them understand where the trend is going, and are committed to keeping things under control and fun. These are subjective definitions, of course, but safety has become an increasingly important aspect of Poker Runs in the last year alone.

1000 Islands is an amazing and unique event. I've only had the pleasure of doing it once, but I've never seen as much community support, nor a spectator fleet near as large anywhere else, before or since. I think that Poker Runs America has done a terrific job of getting the local authorities and the local communities behind them. I'm sure that Jay_98ca and the other organizers will stay on top of whatever guidelines need to be issued to keep the program going for some time to come.

It's the groups that serve booze and run amok that are going to screw it up for the rest (majority) of us.

Safety -> More Poker Runs.

jb 08-20-2002 08:45 PM

I would hate to see it happen for sure.
This is an incredible event. Having been a spectator and finally riding in this one upcoming I cant wait to see the difference. I was in the spring run, yes the small fountain was...well thats enough.
I also have been in the spectator fleet where some boats went off course and split the spectators on the outside causing boats to run on both sides. We were not in the channel at that point by the way. So it was tense for sure. Its a very tough course as you know and there are a lot of places to get confused.

Lets hope for calm waters
Why no Clayton this year?

46tomcat 08-20-2002 08:52 PM

hopefully the spectator fleet will stay out of the lanes of the boats.Last year had a to close call with a jet ski in the middle of the channel with myself and my way at 160.these boats dont respond well at these speeds.We all hope the patrol boats due a better job .

Hustler 26 08-20-2002 11:39 PM

Canada Jeff this is true . I was at the June run and had the pleasure of talking to Bill Taylor the next day. The organizers stated that it is their responiblity and that of the participants to make very event a safe one. In accordance with this Bill told me that future events will not allow a participant who do not have past poker run experience. He or she must have been a driver or at least a rider in past events. The collision of the two Fountians according to the police report was cause by the inexprience of one of the boats. And the experience of the other boat driver kept it from being deadly.

Rico 08-21-2002 10:25 AM

tomcat

I remeber your cat last year and the incident. Now I am not trying to be rude. But if your boat does not respond well at 160 why would you do that in an area that there are thousands of islands very narrow , and thousands of boats that do not know that the poker run is going on. I love fast myself and grew up in alexbay but it is such a big area it is impossible to let everyone no the run is on, do you agree? Don't get me wrong if I could go that fast I would too. I do agree with you I hope the patrol boats do better but I think it is a big job and the poker runners are more responsible than the spectators, after all it is a basic fun run with cards involved not a race. I just would hate to see this poker run abolished due to high speeds or fatalities. I think lake Ontario is the place for speeds of 160 not around the thousand islands. Once again not trying to offend you, just concerned. I hope we have many years to come of this run. Thanks

wilerty 08-21-2002 11:21 AM

All good posts ... I have been a spectator for years and have ridden in the poker run on a 39' boat. I have seen several close calls. Last year, for instance, leaving ABay heading east a number of boats got mixed in with the spectator boats because they got out of the channel.

For this run they might want to consider a volunteer fleet of boats to act as patrol boats to help keep other boats back. Give them flashing lights, flags, decals, etc so people will know who they are. I bet there are a lot of people who would like to get involved. What if Poker Runs American let people sign up for this for a fee. The people would have certain privaledges, maybe special hats or T-shirts, have to go to a meeting, say Saturday morning to be instructed on their responsibilities and locations they will be at, and Saturday night they could go to the dinner with the drivers.

Jay_98ca 08-21-2002 11:40 AM

Were way ahead of you on that.For years all of us here in Gananoque have had marshall boats.They get all that stuff.They go out around our area and down river on the Canadian side and try and keep boats back.But to many people are rude and ignorant.Their only jepordizing there own safety cause they want to be in front.That isn't worth it.As for the state side,I know they try as well.Not sure what they have for marshalls.But I know we do here on our side.I know we have around 24 boats.And around the waterfront in Gan we have used PWC cause they can catch boats before they cross the path.I know this cause I have used mince to keep people back.I caught a guy last year about 1min before a big cat would have hit him.He wasn"t even paying attention. Hopefully there is no problems this year. Have a safe ride everyone.