Notices

Keep Humidity out?

Old 05-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Keep Humidity out?

For the ones that leave the boat on a lift/ trailer outside covered. What do you guys do to keep the humidity out ? Do you guys leave a fan running ? What do you do?
Old 05-23-2014, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

When I bought my 292 in 2005 I got a dehumidifier made by Arrow Pneumatics just like the one in the link. I built a small stand for it that sits on the floor in the cabin and I keep the door open and the boat is fully covered. I set the dehumidifier to 40-50% and it drains into a small condensate pump that has a float switch. Run a hose overboard and she pumps out the water. It is amazing how much water is pumped out when it is hot and humid. I have kept my boat on a lift at the marina for the last eight seasons. The cabin still has that 'new boat smell'. Works great!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARINE-RV-ST...-/230998761458

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-V...xp_grid_pt_0_1

Last edited by 4mulafastech; 05-23-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
When I bought my 292 in 2005 I got a dehumidifier made by Arrow Pneumatics just like the one in the link. I built a small stand for it that sits on the floor in the cabin and I keep the door open and the boat is fully covered. I set the dehumidifier to 40-50% and it drains into a small condensate pump that has a float switch. Run a hose overboard and she pumps out the water. It is amazing how much water is pumped out when it is hot and humid. I have kept my boat on a lift at the marina for the last eight seasons. The cabin still has that 'new boat smell'. Works great!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARINE-RV-ST...-/230998761458

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-V...xp_grid_pt_0_1
Thats a good idea.. Tempted to get something like that and run it to the sink since the sink drains overboard, it would work perfectly.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:43 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

I use the tub size damp rid. I make sure to close up cabin and place it on the counter, change it every three or four months. It is OK, but it cannot be compared to a real dehumidifier.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have a old school trick. Just some regular charcoal used for grilling in a bucket. It absorbs moisture.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sleev-les
Thats a good idea.. Tempted to get something like that and run it to the sink since the sink drains overboard, it would work perfectly.
Thanks. My sink drains to the bilge. Yours draining overboard would work great.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
I use the tub size damp rid. I make sure to close up cabin and place it on the counter, change it every three or four months. It is OK, but it cannot be compared to a real dehumidifier.
If you have A/C access a dehumidifier is great if you can arrange for proper drainage. Most will NOT drain uphill. A few of the more expensive ones do. If it overflows it could flood the interior.

I use Damp Rid. The hanger kind. It works great. I buy it in bulk. Be very careful of the tubs! I had two of them crack and will never use them again. They leaked the CaCl juice all in my cabin carpet and you walk on it and it makes everything extremely slick and it gets on your feet and then you fall on your ass and kill yourself putting out the anchor. I called the company pissed as hell and got put on terminal hold two times so screw them but their hanger product is good.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I use the UFO lookin thingies from westmarine. Cost me 68 each with port supply, keep everything dry and smelling fine. No need to drain, the element inside evaporates the moisture....like the one on the ice water in the door of my fridge.

WEST MARINE
Air Dryer with Fan, Dehumidifier
A built-in fan circulates warm air within your boat to keep interior comfortably dry. Designed for safe, continuous dockside operation, the spark-free Air Dryer draws less current than a 100W light bulb so it’s inexpensive to operate all year ‘round. Housing is anodized aluminum for corrosion resistance. 10"dia. x 4-1/2"H. Available in 110V AC and 220V AC models. Two-year warranty.
4.7Read 35 ReviewsWrite a Review
Old 05-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by commandersander
I use the UFO lookin thingies from westmarine. Cost me 68 each with port supply, keep everything dry and smelling fine. No need to drain, the element inside evaporates the moisture....like the one on the ice water in the door of my fridge.

WEST MARINE
Air Dryer with Fan, Dehumidifier
A built-in fan circulates warm air within your boat to keep interior comfortably dry. Designed for safe, continuous dockside operation, the spark-free Air Dryer draws less current than a 100W light bulb so it’s inexpensive to operate all year ‘round. Housing is anodized aluminum for corrosion resistance. 10"dia. x 4-1/2"H. Available in 110V AC and 220V AC models. Two-year warranty.
4.7Read 35 ReviewsWrite a Review
I use the same thing for winter. Boat sits on lift under roof shrink wrapped. 4 yrs now and never an issue. Been told air circulation is the key. Doesn't take much
Old 05-23-2014, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in S La, so it's pretty humid down here. I put a damp rid tub in my sink that drains out hull. I put holes in it so it would drain the excess.

I keep the door closed and it stays nice and mildew free and make sure not to leave any rafts or anything on the vinyl as it will mold underneath. Hard to get out, don't ask how I know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.