Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone usung octane booster in their 1,350's? >

Anyone usung octane booster in their 1,350's?

Notices

Anyone usung octane booster in their 1,350's?

Old 05-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Just run the 90 and let her eat! They are going to break anyways !
Old 05-26-2014, 02:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Check this additive out as I have the reports and tests along with dyno results, it does look promising. I have nothing to do with this product period but did inquire about it last year. Many of these pour into gas tank additives are snake oils. Form your own opinions about race-gas additive.

www.race-gas.com

Also if you really need race fuel and or no BS info about what additives are junk in your tank & all forms of fuel, call Rocket Brand Racing Fuels. The man to talk to is Tim Wusz.

This guy from birth was in the engineering and chemistry for the top brand of fuel / oil companies along with the tech side for Nascar many many years. Also for any one using jet / aviation fuel in your apps on land or water ask him why you SHOULD NOT use that form of fuel unless in your jet or plane. He has forgotten more about fuels, octane & chemistry of fuels than this whole board will ever know including engine builders. Jason aka COOLERMAN I am surprised you did not bring this up as well.

Rockett Brand Racing Fuels - Tim Wusz 714-282-1741
Old 05-27-2014, 02:34 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

My brain is not working today and I can not find the info needed on each website right now but....

If anyone gets bored how much money will it cost to convert 90 octane fuel to 94 octane using Boostane vs race-gas vs actual racing fuel (like 110 octane).

Thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
I did some digging, the rain pulled me in from outside.

Interesting.

- Trademark holder :Ian Lehn read this: http://www.trademarkia.com/boostane-85483983.html
- Same person is listed as contact in whois for the website. Hosted by GoDaddy. Website and Company Address: http://www.boostane.com/contact/
- Same person applied for a patent in January 2013 for a "COMPARTMENTALIZED PALLET PACKAGING SYSTEM FOR PERISHABLE PRODUCTS" see here:
http://www.patentbuddy.com/Inventor/Lehn-Ian-M/17831205
- Here's the company (aerial photography) he works for - with a description of him - and unbelievably at the same address that Boostane is located:
http://www.topgunaerials.com/team.html

So........we should get answers.

To: Engineer ? Prove it !

Best Octane Booster ? Prove it. Actually, who makes it for you and what are their credentials ?

I knew I smelled something. Again, all Automotive "Best Thing' in a bottle usually turns out this way.

I uncovered another on OSO a yr or two ago. All land developers, real estate holding companies, commercial real estate sales people that all worked together. They came out with a Octane Booster and Top End lube too. They started into's as engineers to.

We want something more than what comes out of your lips and marketing material.

Until then, it's more snake oil.

Remember, this thread started about a guy with 100's of thousand of dollars in engines and drives...that's not counting the boat !

Very expensive toy to dupe someone into something that may not work.

SB!

Love the enthusiasm. It definitely looks as though you googled me quite a bit. Let me see if I can't clear up some of my resume that you were able to find.

- Yes the trademark for BOOSTane is under my name as I trademarked it while attending the Georgia Institute of Technology Top 5 Ranking . This is also where I received my degree in Mechanical Engineering, with a focus in Internal Combustion engines. Also where I received my second degree in Engineering Entrepreneurship, which may help explain why my name is also on some other companies, such as Top Gun Aerials. Because, if you are going to be promoting and marketing an exciting product like BOOSTane, why not start the company that flies the tiny helicopters with cameras on them to do it, and offer the service to fellow boaters.

- As for the patent, I hold some others with other BOOSTane engineers that pertain to IC engines, but as they are provisional they might not pop up as easy. As for the compartmentalized packaging, a colleague and I developed that to extend the shelf-life of fruits and vegetables for international shipping, using our knowledge in chemical applications. This also came into use over our nearly decade of research and development of BOOSTane.

As for the proving it part! This is my favorite. Let me GOOGLE that for you
Below is a link to our testing page where we performed all of our 3rd party knock engine testing. There is also a video at the bottom showing side by side test of the benefits of our proprietary chelated carrier that enables the active ingredients of BOOSTane to stay in suspension and effective, instead of what the competition does.

BOOSTane Testing

Below you can see all 3rd party shops running tests and sometimes getting as much as +177hp when utilizing BOOSTane. These are sophisticated engines (BMWs and GTRs) much like the 1350's

Here is a link to our Dyno Testing Page

If you need further proof, contact Keith Eickert, Dave Wesseldyk, or any other reputable engine builder that has tried and tested BOOSTane in high performance marine applications.

We do all of our manufacturing and batch testing in house in order to ensure quality and reliability. Dynoing each batch to the edge and back, so we know that what we are sending to you, is BOOSTane.

And BOOSTane is not in the business of "duping" anyone. In that nearly decade of R&D, we have melted a lot of very expensive engines in testing and proving. But the result is a product that we can stand behind and are very proud of. A lot of blood, sweat, and piston heads went into developing BOOSTane as a premium octane concentrate. Something that we run in our own race boat engines.

On a final note, I hope that I cleared up any doubt about who myself, the BOOSTane team, or what BOOSTane is. You are right to be skeptical, there are a lot of products out there that claim to be "cure-alls" and are nothing but snake oil, and literally do nothing for you. There are also a few products out there that have worked in the past, but still experience the same problems that they did back in the day, and haven't gone back to the preverbal drawing board and assessed and solved these issues. BOOSTane has assessed these problems, and have solved them, and we are always testing, developing, and improving on BOOSTane. If you aren't moving forward, you are moving backward. Learned that from my Motorsports professor, at Tech.

On a side note, here is an article in Hot Rod magazine talking about how BOOSTane along with 9 other companies have been selected to act as ambassadors for SEMA on the Hot Rod Power Tour, due to our innovation and overall impact to the industry. For some reason they picked my ugly mug for the top. So now you know what I look like in case you see me and want to hit me with any questions in person.

Power Tour Article

I appreciate you voicing your concerns SB, and if you have anymore feel free to call me directly (513-265-8216) or fire away on here. Its a good forum

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
My brain is not working today and I can not find the info needed on each website right now but....

If anyone gets bored how much money will it cost to convert 90 octane fuel to 94 octane using Boostane vs race-gas vs actual racing fuel (like 110 octane).

Thanks
I can't speak for the "Race-Gas", but I can to conversion for you on BOOSTane vs Race Fuel.

Lets convert 100 gallons of 90 octane to 94 octane. In order to make this transformation you are going to need roughly 4 quarts (1gal) of BOOSTane. Lets assume that as boaters, a 5 gallon pail makes more sense as you are going to be converting larger volumes of 90 octane at the marina, compared to a guy driving around in his car with a 20 gallon fuel tank.

Quick Math:

5 Gallon Pail = $349.00

90 octane at the marina = $4.00

Therefore,
$400 in 90 octane + $69.80 for 1gal of BOOSTane ($349/5gal) = $469.80

A convenient, reliable alternative to having high octane on the water, and the peace of mind to run your engines hard... PRICELESS

So, for a cost of $0.70 more per gallon you now have 94 octane in your high performance engines. To provide 94 octane race fuel, ethanol free like BOOSTane provides, the lowest cost (not taking into account the trucking of the 2 55 gallon drums to the marina, is $504 per 55 gallon drum. so for that same 100 gallons you are looking at a cost $916.36, plus all the inconvenience.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A few comments and options to consider...

First, here is a calculator for calculating final octane ratings with different mixtures.

http://www.bazellracefuels.com/Calcs/OC1.htm

If you don't want to use additives, this calc will be handy to determine what is needed to make 91 octane (if that's Merc's requirement). As you can see, mixing 33 gal of 93 octane fuel (via trailer or some other fuel transfer method) with 67 gal of 90 octane fuel at the marina will make 100 gal of 91 octane.

Another option is toluene, it has a 114 octane rating and is very proven for this use. In fact, not only is a there a ton of research out there on using toluene in fuel, it's also used in the pump gas you buy at the pump. I don't think I'd recommend using more than a 30% mixture, but for what you're looking to do, you wouldn't need more than 4% to create 91 octane, which is absolutely nothing to worry about. It can be bought in 5 gal cans locally through someplace like Sherwin Williams, or in 55 gal drums through a distributor. I believe the last drum I bought was around $8/gal IIRC. Using the calc, it would only take about 4 gal of toluene added to each 96 gal of 90 octane pump to create 91 octane fuel... I would consider this if I were in your shoes and didn't want to trust additives or dealing with the bulk of transferring all that 93 octane fuel required to make a 91 octane blend.

You can also do the same with race fuel (available in various octane ratings) or av gas, but price and availability might be problematic.

As I said earlier, any additive with MMT (Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl) will effectively increase octane. This compound was used as an octane booster in our pump gas for decades, that is until the FDA pulled the plug on it in the mid to late 90's. It's still being used today in Canadian and Australian pump gas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylc...se_tricarbonyl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline#MMT

Anyway as mentioned, MMT is a very effective and proven octane booster. The problem with using it as an additive is not keeping it in suspension/solution (more on this in a minute), but rather knowing how much MMT is actually in the can you're buying. Without independent testing, it's hard to say if there's enough MMT in the can to make much of a difference. Luckily there have been many test on various products over the years that have shown products like Torco, Lucas, and even NOS brand octane boosters are effective. Sadly they don't measure the amount of MMT per bottle, but testing with knock engines and/or with a Shatox meter prove they work. I'm sure there are plenty of tests online (and I'm not going to go looking for all of them), but here are a couple...
http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0...osters_tested/
http://volvospeed.com/Review/misc_pe...e_booster.html
http://volvospeed.com/Review/misc_pe...celerator.html
It is worth noting some like Torco and apparently BOOSTane are available in 5 gal containers, which would be helpful when treating large volumes of fuel.

Regarding BOOSTane and the claims of other MMT based additives will harm your injectors or engines. I'm not sure I would believe this claim. If the product contains MMT, I'm sure it works. With that said, I don't buy the claims that the other MMT based octane boosters will settle out and cause damage. As previous stated above, the major oil companies having been using MMT in varying concentrations for decades, so obviously MMT is quite soluble in gasoline. Nor have I ever seen, read, or heard of an MMT based additive falling out of solution in gasoline in what would be considered recommended concentrations (add enough of it and I'm sure at some point it will crash, but it would no doubt take a lot!) With that said, it wouldn't surprise me if MMT in high enough concentrations might not be soluable in kero or some other carrier, such as a large slug of it in a 16 oz bottle as often packaged in octane boosters, but it will mix in when heavily diluted with gas (such as in your fuel tank). Any suspension that might hold the high MMT concentrations (such as used with BOOSTane) would obviously no longer hold up once diluted 100:1 with gas (or whatever ratio they are recommending). So while I have no reason to doubt the effectiveness of the BOOSTane product as an octane booster, I personally would view their suspension video as nothing more than a marketing gimmick. If their product contains as much MMT as something like the Lucas Octane Booster, I would use it in a second... especially if it's been independently tested and Dave W. can vouch for it.

I have a lot of respect for Dave W., I have spoke with him a couple of times in the past and he's not only very knowledgeable, but a hell of a nice guy as well. I didn't see Dave make the claim that the other MMT based products will damage your engine, but I fully believe Dave's comments that BOOSTane is effective at increasing octane.

The last option that's at least worth mentioning is meth/water injection. I know hardly anybody would recommend adding a meth/water injection system to a factory Merc 1350 package, but a small shot of windshield washed fluid sprayed under boost would be far more effective than boosting the fuel octane rating up to 91 or even 93 octane. But again, the critics would scream blasphemy over this option, so unless you're a pioneer and know what you're doing, this option should probably be avoided.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. The factory Merc system likely has a knock sensor system, if so, your engine is pretty safe anyway... but you're leaving a few hp on the table if the sensors are pulling timing/boost due to the lower octane fuel. If it were me, I'd likely consider adding a 5 gal pal of toluene to each 100 gal of fuel, or go with something like the BOOSTane/Torco/Lucas octane boosters.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:54 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

A lot of MMT additive or very high lead content in gas with MPI fuel injection you can have the risk of the lead compound forming deposits internally in the pintle area of the fuel injectors after heat soak of the engine, especially on a marine engine when their is not any outside air flowing around the engine. I have been cleaning fuel injectors now for 5 years so I have more than basic knowledge about some of these stuff.

Last edited by BUP; 05-28-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rarely make any comment on OSO, even though I am close to this website. OSO was run out of my office at the desk next to mine in it's infancy when Steve Schuble purchased it as a small, mostly California based website years ago. I've been watching this thread and some of the things said. Which is typical of a lot of the threads on this site and why I don't bother to comment on much, some very knowledgeable comments and others based on nothing, but this one deserves a reply.

I personally know the people behind Boostane, a collection of very talented individuals who have a history of innovation and success. I know the amount of testing and verification they have done to verify their products performance. Of coarse this is how I was introduced to it, and why I had the confidence to use it. An advantage only a few have. I've been using Boostane in my shop in all the boats long before it became available. It solves a long time problem for us. Our clientele typically uses their Hi-performance boats about two times a year. We have pumped out and discarded more gallons of gasoline than I can keep count of. The alcohol in pump premium causes many issues when it sets for long periods and we've seen and fixed it all. We have wasted hundreds of hours and accepted the risk of pumping and handling large containers of gasoline for years. For more than two years I haven't discarded any gasoline or fixed any issues related to bad fuel. It has been a game changer for us. We use 90 octane alcohol free gasoline and Boostane in everything. We used to send boats to destinations around the world to meet our clients yachts full of race fuel and dilute with available pump gas as it was used. Hoping they would not use the boats enough to burn through out mix of fuel before we shipped them back to our shop where we could refill with race gas. For us, Boostane solved those fuel problems. I can understand how anyone could be skeptical, I am skeptical of most things and products. If your dealing with fuel and octane issues, don't cheat yourself out of a solution before you find out more about it.

They are using the exact same "Knock engine" testing process performed by a third party laboratory to verify Boostane's octane, as VP and Sunoco are using to verify and rate the octane of their race gas. I cant say much about the suspension of the product other than in my case where the Boostane treated fuel is sitting for months in the tanks between uses and it hasn't been an issue for us.

You also have the ability to mix the ratio of Boostane and Gasoline to get the octane your engine requires starting with different octane gasoline. So if you can get 90 octane at one stop and 87 at the next you can modify your mix ratio and still be safe.

I've been playing this race gas / pump gas octane game, keeping my clients boats and my own boats safe with enough octane for 25+ years. I have never lost an engine to detonation. I am happy to have a new option that is far less expense and work.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Great thread Gino and thanks to all who contributed! I'm a mechanical engineer and certified performance boataholic and welcome informative posts. I will be looking into some Boostane for my old 25' "Gino Wananbee Starter Kit" Talon. Thanks again everyone." THIS" is why I come to this site!

Bob
Old 05-31-2014, 07:33 AM
Registered

Custommarine:
It sounds like you have the experience and research with this product, thank you for sharing both!
One question though, in Lubejobs case, he has warrantied 1350's in his boat (as will I when mine is completed) so it becomes important to know if Mercury will warranty engines if you are using this product?

It comes down to which would Mercury prefer, running the available 90 octane or using some sort of octane booster?
I have not asked Mercury but I was wondering if you or anyone else had?
Old 05-31-2014, 02:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Summer Obsession,
I can't tell you what Mercury's position is, however I would think they would have a good cause to not warranty an engine problem if your running 90 octane and they specify 91 octane. The industry standard at the marine fuel docks seems to be 90 octane non alcohol marine gas. There are a few docks around that have 93 but they are few and far between and they have alcohol in the fuel. Johnny at TNT has it at his fuel dock but that doesn't help if your not close to North Miami and you still have the alcohol issue. I personally feel you would have a stronger argument with mercury in the case of an engine warranty issue if you were running 90 with Boostane, than 90 without, because documented proof is available that it does make the octane when tested in the same method and facility's that they test the octane of the major fuel brands.

The new engines will protect themselves from poor octane to a point, but I would rather be running with the engine having enough octane to keep it out of that condition and making the max power it can make. You can get away with a little less octane than recommended in a case where you have no choice and nothing else is available, but I would run the engines easier and keep the load down by accelerating less aggressively keeping the boost down. That's no fun when you have all that power available in your hand, but melting down a 1350 can certainly ruin your summer if you don't take that approach. In a way, what do you have to loose? If your going to run 90 octane anyway, add the Boostane, you can only benefit. When you have a pair of 1350's under the hatch the cost to use it is insignificant, why take a chance. I have a pair of old school blower motors with no electronic protection other than a knock sensor gauge in my Skater, I'm using 90 no alcohol with Boostane.

One other point to consider for you Epoxy resin Skater owners. If you use non alcohol gasoline and Boostane, your fuel tanks won't turn into goo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.