Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Constant Alarm 496 HO only on initial launch. >

Constant Alarm 496 HO only on initial launch.

Notices

Constant Alarm 496 HO only on initial launch.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Constant Alarm 496 HO only on initial launch.

Had boat out three times, did new impellers before I even took out. Will not do it on a hose but when I ramp boat after about 2 minutes I get a constant alarm.

First time out had just changed drive oil so figured plunger was stuck. Pulled on it with pliers, alarm went away

Second time out same thing, took drive bottle off turned upside down re installed. Alarm went away, so figued drive bottle sensor is bad. Borrowed a scan tool from mercury tech who says drive indicator will not do constant alarm. Scanner has like 9 codes, mostly older stuff probably but did have, Port/ stb EMCT overheat (Manifold tep sensor) so I changed them.

Took boat out today, idleing away from ramp get constant alarm. Shut Starbord engine down for a minute restart still has alarm, smack drive bottle and shake drive bottle couple of times, restart no alarm. So while it does not make any sense will probably change out drive bottle.

Engines run fine, not hot plenty of water pressure, oil pressure. The engine with the alarm has more water pressure than the other. I would probably just take somewhere but its going to be tough because it won't do it on the hose Only initial start up in water. And if you have it off even for a few hours it will not do it again. Boat runs great otherwise.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Registered

Codes were

Port EMCT
Starb EMCT
Cam Sensor
Fuel level circuit HI
Pitot CKT LO
Crank Sensor
Trim Ckt LO
Steering CKT HI

Some of these could be from 5 years ago and never cleared after repair. I did clear, at least I think I did when I had scanner.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

if you or anyone ran the boat out of fuel while running you can set a cam and or crank sensor code,

Just unplug your drive lube reservoir wires to see if alarm goes away instead of smacking it, if it goes away and comes back on when you plug the wires back in, its your gear lube bottle needs to be replaced, Also plug back in a couple of times to make sure its not a wire problem as well.

Next gear oil sludge built up on the bottom of the gear lube reservoir bottle can make the float stick to the bottom causing an alarm as well. Clean ur reservoir out spotless. Merc high perf gear lube will gel up in the bottom of the gear lube reservoir like no tomorrow plus make sure the float - floats on top of the gear oil and moves freely up / down.

The reason for the alarm at the launch is because the boat / motor is at an angle making the float to go to the bottom in the gear oil reservoir causing the alarm. Again you might have a bad or broken float in the reservoir as well so unplug those wires to see if it goes away making sure its your problem.

Last edited by BUP; 06-01-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 PM
BUP
Banned

Also you can do the other end of this - make the alarm happen - push the float down to the bottom of the gear oil reservoir with a clean flat blade screw driver to see what kind of alarm you get. Make sure the wires are plugged in for that test.

Merc says no constant alarm for the gear lube monitor but I could swear they are wrong. I forgot in the real world if it is a constant alarm or not but again Merc says no. Test it and see what happens about the alarm.

Last edited by BUP; 06-01-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Registered

Thanks, I will unplug next trip and see. I did turn bottle upside down while running on hose, and got two beeps not constant. But like you said maybe if its stuck that will give constant. Runs great otherwise, I always have weird problems.

Thank You.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Expensive.......You are a moron! The first thing you should do is start a rant thread on the dealer, he screwed you with a boat you only used 3 times and it is already throwing codes/beeps. Start with "5 yr old codes still in computer" then finish with the boat is unusable and needs total rebuilds.......

*of course this is ^sarcasm^ above in relation to another rant thread about a 30 year old used boat!
Old 06-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Registered

http://www.rinda.com/acro/prodlist.pdf

Is the laptop software the same as what the Mercury dealers have?
Old 06-01-2014, 11:55 PM
BUP
Banned

Dealers most use the diacom software PC version with a laptop. Most just persay Merc & Mercruser only dealers use CDS - Merc sells it but is a SPX product. I still have a Merc DDT and Diacom Software PC version update currenty even for all catalyst engines. My DDT is not that current as Merc stop selling that unit years ago and the cartridges for it also.

MY DDT will work up to early 2007 year model computer controlled Merc & Mercruiser engines. It will read MEFI as well but only 1 thru 4 that's it. I like diacom full version because I can scan every darn marine engine currently even Ilmor marine and all GM marine as well. GM sells marine crate engines as well. Also some computer controlled marine engines have MEFI 6.

Diacom is not that great for outboards across the board but I am sure one day they will cover more outboards than just mercury. .

Others on the market are

Sierra

CDI MEDS - dashboard is their best version.
there is others as well,

Last edited by BUP; 06-02-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Tim,
Got your message; on business travel this week. Good info here:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...run-of-the-day
Old 06-02-2014, 12:36 PM
BUP
Banned

2 beeps every minute is sensors and or open short in curcuits

Intermittent continuous beeps is drive lube bottle. This is for 496 PCM 555 but I swear there is a model of 496 that has a continuous horn but it might be DTS with smartcraft 496 - I can not remember at this time.

Continuous horn is
1. Battery Voltage
2. engine oil pressure low or none
3. EMCT overheat
4. Multiple CAN circuit faults
5. ECM memory
6. ECT overheat
7. Overspeed
8. Guardian Strategy

This is for 496 mag Bravo and HO BRAVO PCM555

So do you have both 2 beeps every minute sometimes and then other times a continuous horn or am I misunderstanding you.

2 beeps every minute could be your - "TRIM Ckt LO - I will have to double check about if warning horn / beep is active for that alone but the fault surely is active as it should be if there is a problem.

Last edited by BUP; 06-02-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.