LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning >

LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning

Notices

LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning

Old 06-03-2014, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts
Default LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning

I apologize if this has already been posted elsewhere. Assuming the life jacket was properly secured, it might give you pause as to the type of jacket you wear when running. Condolences to the man's family and friends.

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/n...zarks/9862923/
Old 06-03-2014, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Such a sad story. I though I remembered talking to either marine patrol or coast guard once and they told me they wouldn't handcuff people because of this, but apparently not. RIP.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I apologize if this has already been posted elsewhere. Assuming the life jacket was properly secured, it might give you pause as to the type of jacket you wear when running. Condolences to the man's family and friends.

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/n...zarks/9862923/
No disrespect to the man's family but this story screams of a kid trying to avoid an arrest (though he was already in custody). Kid was an athletic 20 yr old and I suspect he ditched the vest while trying to get away. Being drunk (was accused of BUI) probably didn't help the decision making process.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.mshp.dps.mo.gov/WP03/Acci..._NUM=140343670

I heard about it it yesterday . Vary, vary, sad. My My deepest condolences to the young man's family. Every one loses. I hope there is major change coming to WP. This is preventable and no reason anyone should get killed wile in police custody. To serve and protect......... I think the WP forgot something.

My question, Why have him handcuffed wile transporting him to land? Where is he going? Is he going to out swim a boat? Is 1 drunk kid going to over take 2 WP's? What happens is the boat hits something under the water line and starts to take on water? What if boat gets swamped my a huge boat wake? What if the engine(s) starts on fire. Anything is possable and safety should always be first on the mind and the "what if's" covered. Now once on land I understand.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 92nsx
http://www.mshp.dps.mo.gov/WP03/Acci..._NUM=140343670

I heard about it it yesterday . Vary, vary, sad. My My deepest condolences to the young man's family. Every one loses. I hope there is major change coming to WP. This is preventable and no reason anyone should get killed wile in police custody. To serve and protect......... I think the WP forgot something.

My question, Why have him handcuffed wile transporting him to land? Where is he going? Is he going to out swim a boat? Is 1 drunk kid going to over take 2 WP's? What happens is the boat hits something under the water line and starts to take on water? What if boat gets swamped my a huge boat wake? What if the engine(s) starts on fire. Anything is possable and safety should always be first on the mind and the "what if's" covered. Now once on land I understand.
There are many reasons to keep an intoxicated passenger cuffed. Have you ever watched cops? Plus they don't know if he is just under the influence of alcohol or maybe something else. I got Into a fight one time with a guy on, what we think was, PCP. This guy was uncontrollable. Kicks to the face, 4 guys on him it didn't matter there was no stopping him..... While this is a sad story, I agree.... I don't think not cuffing a intoxicated rider is the answer. He could have done more Harm then just to himself. If his jacket came off unintentionally then I think the jackets need to be reviewed. For the record, back in my younger days, I too took the ride of Shane in the front of the Sheriffs boat (in cuffs with a bright orange life jacket on).....
Old 06-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the big question in this investigation is if the life jacket was applied correctly to the kid. If the officer left the kids hands cuffed and just slipped the life jacket around and over his arms then obviously that is the officers fault. The jacket should have be put on the kid then handcuff the hands behind his back so the jacket cannot slip off. With handcuffs on and the jacket put on properly, there is no possible way that a person can slip out of a level 3 jacket.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGSLOW
I think the big question in this investigation is if the life jacket was applied correctly to the kid. If the officer left the kids hands cuffed and just slipped the life jacket around and over his arms then obviously that is the officers fault. The jacket should have be put on the kid then handcuff the hands behind his back so the jacket cannot slip off. With handcuffs on and the jacket put on properly, there is no possible way that a person can slip out of a level 3 jacket.
When I took my ride of shame I was put in a jacket first, then cuffed.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is WTF all the way around so sad
Old 06-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 385 Likes on 154 Posts

I wish we knew the circumstances of his arrest . What did he do to draw attention of the WP , anything or was he simply seen drinking a beer while relaxing on his boat . The law of unintended consequences strikes again but unfortunately a young man has paid with his life . Very very sad .
Old 06-03-2014, 12:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 569 Likes on 262 Posts

We saw a guy jump out of WP boat handcuffed and with vest on. Funny as chit watching WP poke him under with docking pole to calm him down.

Not that This situation is a laughing matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.