FWC Officer Hits/KILLS Manatee!

Notices

FWC Officer Hits/KILLS Manatee!

Old 08-22-2002, 10:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Angry FWC Officer Hits/KILLS Manatee!

This was in the local paper this morning!
Manatee Fun fact #8789,
Manatees will CONTINUE to be hit, and or DIE, without the Manatee Acoustic Warning device that WE, CFW, have helped fund the studies, and presented the studies as EVIDENCE in our legal challenge, and the FFWCC, and SMC CONTINUE to ignore! These Under water emitters would allow Manatees to be ALERTED to ANY BOAT eqiupped with them, at a cost of ~ 35.00 each. This a win/win solution for both the Manatee and boaters, but the SMC doesn't want a scientific solution, they want to be the HEROES AGAINST the EVIL Powerboaters!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...me%2Dheadlines
Sorry, just venting a little
Old 08-22-2002, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That begs the question, was there any damage to the gear case, prop, etc? I do not intedn for this to sound inhumane but it will show what and if damage occurs when striking them and will be able to better prove your point Dean. Good luck.

For the Manatee
Old 08-22-2002, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Shane, What in the world do you mean INHUMANE? Manatees are not human!!!
Old 08-22-2002, 11:02 AM
Registered

(Snicker, Snicker)

There is just some justice here, that is rather poetic, don't you think???

Glad we have no manatees at LOTO, just spoonbill that jump out of the water here and there...god, what if manatees learn to jump like that????

WM
Old 08-22-2002, 11:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Shane,
I don't know, they are pretty much soft tissue and fat, so I don't think they could do much damage to a boat/prop/O/D, but you never know?
BUT another issue that begs to be answerd is:
I don't know of a single RECREATIONAL, (or commercial) boater in my area that has ever HIT a Manatee! Now, I don't claim to know every boater in my area, (Resident since 1990), BUT I do know alot of Power boaters, and NONE of US know of anyone else that has EVER HIT A MANATEE!! WHO IS HITTING ALL THE MANATEES!?
Now, I have hit a couple of birds, @ ~80-90 MPH in my old Eliminator, but actually, the birds surfaced the water and flew into the side of the Elim.! Scares the crap out of ya!
MD

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 08-22-2002 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:04 AM
Registered

Default Roger

I think you took it wrong. The key word in that sentance is "sound".
Shane would not mean that.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Plus if you read the article, the FFWCC officer was coming on plane in 4 FEET of H2O! He was DEFINITELY NOT in the channel/ICW. I wouldn't even try to jump on plane in 4 FT. of H2O! Actually, most of the local FFWCC officers are pretty good guys, they don't write the laws, they just have to inforce them!
MD
Old 08-22-2002, 01:51 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

Kinda reminds me of last summer when the FFWCC came over the wake of a large cruiser I was following.....at about a 100 yards to his stern......and decided to jump over his wake....just too bad i was following the rules and he wasn't.......scared the chit out if us.......we actually got spray from his bow when he landed....

Do you think he even said sorry or gave a "my bad" wave......HELL NO!!!!!!!......

Now had that been me..........Oh boy i sure would have paid for that F-up......
Old 08-22-2002, 03:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Shor',
I remember last summer when you posted about that! We had a FFWCC officer come to a CFW meeting last month, and basically the officer ADMITTED that he PERSONALLY DIDN'T Like all the Manatee Zones, BUT he also stated that when he was in uniform, and out on the H2O, he HAD to enforce the LAW, like it or not!
MD
Old 08-22-2002, 05:08 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

The law is rediculous.......speed doesn't kill these cows.......and when ya go slower you draft more.........so what gives?????You get up on plane and a lot less is at risk.......

I would actually venture to guess the odds would be greater to hit one when you spend more time in their "spot".......kinda makes sense.......

Quick Reply: FWC Officer Hits/KILLS Manatee!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.