Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mercury Marine Fighting E15 >

Mercury Marine Fighting E15

Notices

Mercury Marine Fighting E15

Old 06-27-2014, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like SS930, I cannot find ethanol free gas near Houston. All marinas and car gas stations I have seen are E10. So far no problems in my boats or cars but I use blue Sta-Bil on every boat fill up. Anybody know anything about "GULF MARINE 100 with ISO BUTANOL " on one of the comments? Is this a viable alternative to booze gas?
Old 06-30-2014, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pbekemeyer
E15 still not going be that much different than E10 . Beside here is Florida nothing but E10. If E15 become a standard Mercury Racing will have to do what other manufacture's do adjust and keep going. They can not say you don't have a warranty be cause you use pump gas. That my friend would bring a big law suit against Mercury. I have used pump gas for over 10 year in my boat with no problem. I will keep using it and have found that it does work good in my case. I will know more when I get carb complete converter. I am not saying everyone should convert and not the fuel for everyone. Ethanol is not the same as Methanol two different fuels, two different calibrations.
I think I would disagree with you here. The stoichiometric value for each fuel is as follows:
Gasoline :14.7:1
E10: 14.08:1
E15: 13.79:1

Max power air fuel ratio:
Gasoline 12.5:1
E10: 12.0:1
E15: 11.75:1

Almost any marine motor that was originally setup for standard gasoline will have drastic issues with E15. Even with a typical margin of 5% which would be high, your still leaner than peak power of E15 and just under E10. If the calibration, or carbs are not adjusted, you can see at least a 50deg EGT increase during peak RPM levels, further taxing the engine components. You then have to factor in the detonation level, as you've increased temps, leaned the motor out, the detonation level gets closer and closer. The results are lower power, increased fuel consumption and higher level of emissions as the volume over comes the benefit of the ethanol.

We had to significantly richen our calibrations up for E10 to make the motors live, E15 would do the same. But when we do this, we lose HP. OEM auto makers state that this could hurt 2 out of every 8 vehicles on the road today. The fuel systems simply were not built for ethanol in most applications. Only the later engines have proper injectors, orings, seals, gaskets, pumps..... And then only some boats have tanks that can actually withstand the massive corrosion issues associated with the ethanol fuel. E10 has been bad, E15 will be worse.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I live in FL and right next to a public boat ramp the station sells non E10.

Crystal River there is a couple right on 19, same for down by saint Pete.

Not that hard to find.
WG,
Is correct, in fact I've found a gas station over in Satellite Beach, (15 miles away) that has 93 Octane PURE Gas! And man does my new 572 love it! Go to:

http://pure-gas.org/?stateprov=FL

and enter your state and it will tell you where the non E10 stations are. It seems very accurate.