Notices

Balance Trailer tires

Old 06-15-2014, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
Spin balancers only spin up to low 70's mph, so if you have a DRW diesel and tow your 47 Apache 80mph everywhere you go, you're just wasting beer money.

Don't even get me started on dynamic vs. static balancing....
I don't know if you are joking or not. Some people may take this seriously, though. You don't have to spin a tire up to the speed you are driving to measure wheel balance. Can you imagine how dangerous balancing a race car tire would be if you had to do that?

Generally, shops will balance to 1/4 oz of wheel weight size, although many of todays balancers have a "Fine Mode" for more precise balancing (often 1/10 oz). Shops usually will not use the fine mode, because the customer will not notice the difference, it takes a lot longer to do, and it is not very repeatable (i.e. put wheel/tire back on machine and shows out of balance). Larger truck and trailer tires may even be balanced to 1/2 oz. The wheel/tire assemblies are heavy, and are not driven to high speeds (or shouldn't be).

The dot on the tire indicates the high spot for force on the tire (think of a tire as springs coming from the axle). Tires aren't perfect, and the force they produce isn't even all the way around the tire. Car manufacturers drill the valve stem at the low spot of the rim (wheels aren't perfectly round either). Match the two together, and you can reduce vibration. I don't know if trailer wheel manufacturers go to the trouble of measuring their wheels for the low spot (somewhat doubtful).

Spin balancers can be set to "static" or "dynamic" balance. With a static balance, it only balances for up and down motion. With a static balance, they will only put weights on the inside of the rim, or the split the weight side to side (equal on both inner and outer). Dynamic balancing balances for up and down, plus side to side (wobble). You will get different size weights placed at different locations on the rim with a dynamic balance. A dynamic balance prevents steering wheel shake, and reduces loads on the wheel bearings. Any shop not doing dynamic balancing these days is way behind the times, or trying to cut corners.

Hope this helps.

Michael
Old 06-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Always balance trailer tires,,,,,, just because you may not feel it, doesn't mean the vibration isn't doing unnecessary wear and tear on suspension parts
Old 06-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I would also like to give these a shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullnFQD4F1I
Old 06-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I use 20gram airsoft bbs in everything...truck tires, bike tires...you name it. I use dynabeads website to estimate the amount of bbs. They work great and are much cheaper than dynabeads. I used them in a set of mud graplers for a friend....worked flawlessly. AND you never have a tire go out of balance like you can have with stick/clamp on weights. Get a hunk of mud or ice on a rim...no problem, the beads compensate..
Old 06-15-2014, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
I don't know if you are joking or not. Some people may take this seriously, though. You don't have to spin a tire up to the speed you are driving to measure wheel balance. Can you imagine how dangerous balancing a race car tire would be?

Michael
Michael, I was being facetious. Many balancers only spin up to 100-300rpm and do an adequate job.