Notices

what to do?

Old 08-26-2002, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry what to do?

i want to be fair with mechanic,not sure what to do?.i was having problem with holley carb on 1993 503 mag.took boat in and mechanic said that i blew out power module?,and that holley marine carbs are junk and also this carb was to bigg for my engine.so i went along with his suggestion and replaced holly with a q-get{$885.00 installed}now the boat idles like crap,keeps on sputtering when i shut off and is smoking.i took back one time and they adjusted mixture,worked fine for 15 minutes and then back to running bad.my question is should i have mechanic rebuild holley and put back on ,and not pay the full $885.00 or have him just replace q-jet with another one.?
Old 08-26-2002, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If he ment the power valve, it takes about 15 minutes to change and cost about $8.00. Ask the guys on the technical Q & A section. They will know.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:30 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. He should have just replaced the Power valve for about 50 bucks with labor and sent you on your way!!! I do not know what engine you have now but if the engine was modified unless the guy really knows his stuff then he will have a VERY hard time getting the Q-jet to run correctly. There is a guy on the site called BO-Knows that seems to have these carbs fairly well wired so you can ask him. I have never heard ANYONE say that Holly marine carbs are junk.

Jon