Notices

The damn key broke!!

Old 06-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The damn key broke!!

I have a key that just spins..... Will start the motor. Thinking about setting it up as a one key setup with2 push button a to start it..I don't know. Anyone done this? Where did you get the switches. If not where can I find a factory key set up.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I have one that stripped out. Can you get behind it and tighten it up?

I wouldn't go to one key...can't shut just one down that way.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:56 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Keys are just a formality in a boat. I can hot wire most boats within a minute. I'm sure many other people too.

Nice to have though so little 6yr old Johny doesn't turn a key (or push a button) and drive your boat thru something while still attached to the dock.

Pretty much every boat place sells ignition cylinders with keys. Look behind yours for the type and amt of terminals and then go internet shopping with pics.

Edit in: as mentioned, you sure the big barrell nut in back of cylinder hasn't loosened and thus why your ignition can spin ?
Old 06-21-2014, 03:01 PM
Registered

Don't they make a switch that you can start and shut off each motor indidualy
Old 06-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes..my buddy has them on his cat I believe. Single key gives power to the buttons and have toggle switches to cut the juice to each motor
Old 06-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did that in my last boat, you need a switch and button for each motor. So much nicer than key setup. I just went to a local electrical supplier and got some continuous switches and momentary push buttons. It would be interesting to see what you find though my setup was kinda plain looking, it would be cool to find some of those bright red buttons like you see in f1 cars
Old 06-21-2014, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could also find an (on)-on-off rocker switch for both engines and use the key to provide power to the switches for security.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Registered

SB is rite,,i use to steal boats every weekend(legally)..Still do it legally for the banks from time to time ....i have 2 wires with 3 allagator clips on each and a starter button on each,,boy have i phucked up some peoples weekends,,thy come back to where hey thought they parked their boat and im on it on my way back to their ramp and usually my buddy un hooks the trailer from their vehicle and hooke it to his tow truck..then off we go..but back to the ? i use a key on my donzi and my bigger boat twin starter buttons and key switch to each engine..
Old 06-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

or you could reach behind dash and grab ign switch and put pliers on collar on front of switch and tighten it.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Keys are just a formality in a boat. I can hot wire most boats within a minute. I'm sure many other people too.

Nice to have though so little 6yr old Johny doesn't turn a key (or push a button) and drive your boat thru something while still attached to the dock.

Pretty much every boat place sells ignition cylinders with keys. Look behind yours for the type and amt of terminals and then go internet shopping with pics.

Edit in: as mentioned, you sure the big barrell nut in back of cylinder hasn't loosened and thus why your ignition can spin ?
I have a buddy that is "quirky" on certain things. He brought is Top Gun in for service and purposely kept the keys. I think they were pulling the drives, greasing them and then swapping them. The marina deals with dozens of high end, 100 mph+ boats, a 525 TG isn't exactly exotic. So they do the service, run the boat and leave it in the water for him to pick up. Mechanic is going over the bill and notes "it runs fine, test drive was done".......my buddy inquires "How?" since I forgot to leave you the keys and then the mechanic showed him how easy it is to start a boat.......

Same guy, orders a new Ferrari 458 Spyder.......is going to see it at the dealer (not prepped for delivery yet according to dealer) and he is getting off the highway only to see a Red 458 Spyder fly past him heading in the direction of the dealer......he had the 7th Spyder delivered in South Florida so the chance it was his car was 1 in 7.......he gets to the dealer and flips out that they were out "beat riding" his new Ferrari........Dealer told him, take it or leave it.....If you don't want the car we can sell it to someone else on the wait list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.