Another cool project from Marker 17 Marine

Notices

Another cool project from Marker 17 Marine

Old 06-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
What did you do to the space where the motors used to be?
Storage! Lot's of it.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by stimleck
love that rooster
Not quite. 58 mph so far on first run. I never saw more than 57 mph with diesels.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by DirtyMoney
Wait I thought you still had the diesels? Is this where you shed some pounds? What did it weigh before?
Any pics of the cockpit?
about 2,000 lbs. lighter?

Cockpit same for now. That is next winters project.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by pstorti
not in any way more efficient than a pair of diesels with surface drives that is a stupid statement.
I don't think it is either. That is off Intrepid Boats website. However, if you factor in that diesel fuel is almost $1.00 more per gallon.........
Old 06-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Sportboats
[ATTACH=CONFIG]525186[/ATTACH]

I have never seen a twin but anything is possible.
They only made a few twin 480's that topped out at 51 mph per Boating Mag Cover March 2008 ("Fastest, most efficient cruiser ever!" Boat test 2481). Mine had twin Cummins 600 hp with ASD 10's that would push 60 mph that was also rigged by Marker 17 Marine, Brian Forehand.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Mc,
Do you take that bad boy down New River? I spent 11 months at New River MCAS back in 2010 working for Lockheed, and loved boating on New River, ONCE I figured out where to go and NOT to go...
Old 06-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks sweet, where are you going to be running that thing?
Old 06-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

I love it.....I have ridden in a 48 a few times and really like the room and the performance of the boat but the engine noise was too loud for a cruiser....Brian and I had often talked about the answer would be to rig one with outboards.....Congrats to Mat and also to Brian Forehand at Marker 17 for putting together one badazz cruiser
Old 06-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcraymond3
I don't think it is either. That is off Intrepid Boats website. However, if you factor in that diesel fuel is almost $1.00 more per gallon.........
They also talk about shafts, and yes in that case complete waste of a diesel engine, but that is just boatbuilders being lazy.

That is not true at marinas here in Miami and in the Bahamas, gasoline is $1.00 more per gallon, I'm pretty sure you aren't taking that beast on a trailer to the local gas station. Running costs in $/mile is double with outboards vs diesels. Not saying wasn't a cool idea what you did, just a lot of misinformation being thrown around here.

Last edited by pstorti; 06-25-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
The Cummins aren't as bulletproof as the OB's. Diesels don't break down? Bobthebuilder blew one up in his 50 Nortech after 500 hours, my buddy has them in a diesel flybridge cruiser and they have been fair at best with reliability. Also keep in mind the diesels are more way more complex than an old Detroit Diesel from 25 years ago and they don't love high rpms, throttles nailed to the dash for long stretches.

In my opinion, if you want trouble free boating, go OB whenever possible.
Sorry I disagree 100% you can run a diesel at 90% throttle forever, and the commercial rated ones are for continuous 100% throttle, try that with an outboard. I have 600+ hrs on my Yanmars and I have not had one single problem with them, not one, in 4 years. The total maintenance I have done, one valve adjustment, oil changes every 150 hrs, one coolant replacement, one set of zincs and impellers, outdrive gear lube every 50 hrs. Everybody I know with a verado boat has had multiple issues, the Yamahas don't seem to be as bad. My boat runs a best of 58 mph and gets 2 mpg going 50 mph. I have run them throttles pinned to the dash for 30 minutes many times, no issues.

Outboards have also increased in complexity, no way they are more reliable than a diesel. So two people you know have had issues with diesel engines nobody you know has had any problems with an outboard??

Now if you are talking about trouble free because you can get a 7 year warranty and worst case just slap a new one on yes that is easier, and more people can work on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.