Another cool project from Marker 17 Marine >

Another cool project from Marker 17 Marine

Notices

Another cool project from Marker 17 Marine

Old 06-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
They also talk about shafts, and yes in that case complete waste of a diesel engine, but that is just boatbuilders being lazy.

That is not true at marinas here in Miami and in the Bahamas, gasoline is $1.00 more per gallon, I'm pretty sure you aren't taking that beast on a trailer to the local gas station. Running costs in $/mile is double with outboards vs diesels. Not saying wasn't a cool idea what you did, just a lot of misinformation being thrown around here.

Sure, why not!
Attached Thumbnails Another cool project from Marker 17 Marine-image.jpg  
Old 06-25-2014, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Earthwerks

Sure, why not!
LOL ok wow!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 878 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
Sorry I disagree 100% you can run a diesel at 90% throttle forever, and the commercial rated ones are for continuous 100% throttle, try that with an outboard. I have 600+ hrs on my Yanmars and I have not had one single problem with them, not one, in 4 years. The total maintenance I have done, one valve adjustment, oil changes every 150 hrs, one coolant replacement, one set of zincs and impellers, outdrive gear lube every 50 hrs. Everybody I know with a verado boat has had multiple issues, the Yamahas don't seem to be as bad. My boat runs a best of 58 mph and gets 2 mpg going 50 mph. I have run them throttles pinned to the dash for 30 minutes many times, no issues.

Outboards have also increased in complexity, no way they are more reliable than a diesel. So two people you know have had issues with diesel engines nobody you know has had any problems with an outboard??

Now if you are talking about trouble free because you can get a 7 year warranty and worst case just slap a new one on yes that is easier, and more people can work on them.
I understand your experience but I relayed two that I knew of. Part of that "trouble free" equation is definitely the 7 year warranty and the ease finding a service center. Nobody wants to work on I/O's!
Old 06-30-2014, 01:53 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

We ran the boat this weekend in Norfolk for Power Boating For a Cure! I could not be happier with the performance! It ran 55 mph with 18 people and ten coolers on board. Jumped up on plane (not sure it would have planed with diesels and all those people) was quiet and it sits about a foot higher out of the water with the less weight and buoyancy from bracket. That was another issue, I could only get it off the lift at high tide. With half a tank of fuel and three people, it ran over 60 mph. I didn't even look once to see if oil was being pumped out of the bilge into the marina.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

All statements above are correct, the boat is a stellar package now that makes one heck of a great place to party. Looks and runs great, congrats on a very successful conversion. I would add that the design/engineering stress test went very well as no motors were left behind as the boat hammered the less than perfect water conditions Saturday.

So who was putting down that sheen in the marina ? LOL
Old 06-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Registered

After riding on the 48 this weekend I have not stopped thinking about taking the in-boards out of my 38 Sport Cruiser & going with outboards. Flawless, stealthy, sporty, and performed great in rough water. Could not hear the engines running. I watched the screens in the rough and the RPM's were the same across both screens. Other than the sound of big blocks I wouldn't miss a thing about inboards. Great job to all involved in that change over.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcraymond3
We ran the boat this weekend in Norfolk for Power Boating For a Cure! I could not be happier with the performance! It ran 55 mph with 18 people and ten coolers on board. Jumped up on plane (not sure it would have planed with diesels and all those people) was quiet and it sits about a foot higher out of the water with the less weight and buoyancy from bracket. That was another issue, I could only get it off the lift at high tide. With half a tank of fuel and three people, it ran over 60 mph. I didn't even look once to see if oil was being pumped out of the bilge into the marina.
Congrats on the balls to make such a big conversion. You really went outside the box on this one....sounds like you achieved all your goals. The fact you can use it with tide out is huge.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly O
All statements above are correct, the boat is a stellar package now that makes one heck of a great place to party. Looks and runs great, congrats on a very successful conversion. I would add that the design/engineering stress test went very well as no motors were left behind as the boat hammered the less than perfect water conditions Saturday.

So who was putting down that sheen in the marina ? LOL
100% agree...not sure who was putting down the sheen but I am pretty sure I saw some folks putting down a little shine
Old 06-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were looking to lose weight and get 1200 hp of outboards why didn't you go with two Seven Marine 557 hp outboards?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Registered

Full boat
Attached Thumbnails Another cool project from Marker 17 Marine-image.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.