Notices

Boating in KY

Old 06-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

Boated for years on Kentucky lake and lake Barkley. Channel is wide and depth can be good bank to bank when the water is up and you're near the damn. My parents had a place on the lake. You have to import your friends, food and booze. There isn't much going on around there.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

River boating is a blast, and being within a couple hours of Cumberland is a good thing too. We run down to Louisville from Cincinnati on the river, it's a good run to do for an over nighter.From what i have seen the river is normally 20-30ft deep. If you venture down to Cumberland there are no shallow spots, almost the whole lake is 50plus and in some spots well over 150 ft deep. Goodluck in your decisions
Old 06-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The Means
We've had a place on Kentucky Lake for years. It's a fun lake but lacks bars and restaurants that you can visit with a boat (most of the lake is in a dry county). There's a rock quarry near the dam that is the party cove and also a few sand bars where people hang out.

If you visit Kentucky or Barkley lakes be mindful to stay in the channel as they both get shallow in places. If you cruise down the lake into Tennessee there are a few fun bars/restaurants with nice docks.
True statement for Kentucky lake and places to eat/drink...We have a place on Barkley and while i was scared of running the lake i just stay in the channel now and have learned where its safe to run outsie of it. Barkley is in a different county and has three marina resturants within a 30 minute run of the barge canel that have live bands on the weekends and now serve drinks. Running to Fat Daddys in TN on Kentucky lake can turn into a very expensive day..its a long way especially if you try to conserve fuel.

Last edited by bigredbaja; 06-26-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Registered

Great info guys, thanks alot for your responses
Old 06-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

One other place to gather info on Pa/Ohio/Kentucky boating is boatlocal.com
Old 06-27-2014, 05:06 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Louisville is a great town. I lived there for 4 years while doing my residency. People are friendly and lots to do. The river at the right time of year is great. A lot of boaters in Louisville get away from everything by boating at Lake Cumberland, Dale Hollow, Kentucky and Barkley Lakes. These lakes are most famous for their stunning natural beauty. 200 ft rock palisades, 100 ft deep clear pristine waters, mature hardwood forests. They are not boating bar areas. This does not mean at all that there's not a party if you want it. It's there just not in a bar. Houseboats are king at Cumberland and Dale Hollow because access around the steep banks is difficult.
Boating in Louisville is great just different than the Chesapeake Bay. The lifestyle in Louisville is great. Good cost of living, decent economy, good schools and great place to raise kids. The Mint Juleps aren't really a great drink, but your expected to act like you like them.