Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Breaking News: Canoe Flips On Small Lake. Helicopter, Police, Fire! >

Breaking News: Canoe Flips On Small Lake. Helicopter, Police, Fire!

Notices

Breaking News: Canoe Flips On Small Lake. Helicopter, Police, Fire!

Old 06-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish thay were this way last sunday on the illinois river where my friends sister whent under in a boating accident and they found her 10 miles down river at noon on tuesday..rip emily..
Old 06-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roll what you got. Launch it all for practice. No different than driving a boat, The more you do it, the better you are at it. Proficiency.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Never mind. I thought it was overkill. A canoe....They float. lol
Old 06-28-2014, 09:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everyone lived call that a good day!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2014, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Those helo pilots have to have x number of flight hours for certification purposes, anyway. Overreacting makes headlines, underreacting makes for lawsuits. Fuel and man hours are cheaper than cash settlements and bad press. Who knows what the caller told the dispatcher in the heat of the moment, plenty of people panic and communicate perceived elements in emergency situations.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FIXX
I wish thay were this way last sunday on the illinois river where my friends sister whent under in a boating accident and they found her 10 miles down river at noon on tuesday..rip emily..

They did have a chopper on site..... Water was just crazy.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I found the video....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C4_13xYlgfY
Old 06-29-2014, 12:10 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
i was about 3 miles from there and saw the coast guard helo,i had got a call from my buddy who was the batallion chief on joliet,s west side asking me if i saw anything ,i told him i had not but the current was fast and lots of crap in the water,he then told me what had hapened and that the coast guard requested the dive team for recovery,i was very sorry to hear that one person did not survive the incident.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I'm very sorry to hear about the fatal accident but that situation is really quite different from the debacle that I posted about. Pleasant Lake is 95 acres. It's shallow and warm. Two people have flipped their canoe while wearing life jackets. Not exactly a boating accident. Has anyone here not flipped a canoe? It's not a big deal unless you are in ice cold water. They float, and while it's not easy, they can be righted. It was 7 PM and the sun is still shining until past 9. A lakefront resident could have just motored out to assist them. Police and fire I have no problem with showing up but what the hell was a helicopter going to do? This is not Lake Huron. They could be seen from shore. OMG. Our Sheriff's Dept. has been criticized already for spending too much money on it's helicopter program. It was overkill. Trust me. Fixx, sorry you lost someone in a real boating accident.

Here is my comment on the on-line Oakland Press and other comments:

Carl Chamberlain • a day ago
This should go back on the front page. Breaking news for sure. Canoe flips on small lake spilling two people in life vests into the warm water. OMG The horror. Send a helicopter.
• Edit• Reply•Share ›
SuperBeeee • a day ago
Was that a Mexican Military helicopter?
• Reply•Share ›
Carl Chamberlain • 2 days ago
A helicopter is dispatched because a canoe flipped over? Don't you dare ask for another police millage increase. The water is warm and they had life jackets on. Ridiculous.
• Edit• Reply•Share ›
pontiacnow Carl Chamberlain • 7 hours ago
I'm wondering what kind of crazy circumstances could have caused this to happen. The article also conveniently doesn't mention if paddles were recovered or if said canoe was impounded and tested for any irreparable stability issues......

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 06-29-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, totally uncalled for, making sure the public are protected.... If ever you don't like the police response, call a crackhead instead of 911.

Send an FOIA request for the dispatch call, and determine if the 911 call was phoned in as a "canoe" rather than "boat", and "2 people in the water with life jackets" rather than a "possible drowning". EMS/Fire/Police/dispatch have to go off the information PROVIDED BY THE CALLER when prioritizing and sending resources. I don't have firsthand knowledge of this incident, but I'm betting your gripe lies with an ill-informed/panicked citizen who freaked out and dialed 911, thereby wasting your tax dollars.

If you find out it was indeed phoned in as a canoe and that the occupants had life jackets, give me an address and I will personally send you a check for $0.63, your approximate tax portion of that particular call, including postage.

Last edited by Speedracer29; 06-29-2014 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Poor spelling on my part

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.