Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
One of the greats passed away last week. >

One of the greats passed away last week.

Notices

One of the greats passed away last week.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:47 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default One of the greats passed away last week.

One of the most talented boat builders I know passed quietly in Florida this past week.
John Ives (short for Ivesivitch), the wood working genius behind Eltro boats succombed after a long battle with cancer. He was in is late 80's and lived a good long, and ornery life. Trained in Marcel Raveau's original shop on Long Island, John and Bob Dar'gagnon, backed by some other local's, crafted one of the most unique hulls in performance boating history. Using a "non constant" Vee design the boats were big, strong, incomparable in rough water, yet sneaky fast in calm seas and on closed courses. I had the privelege to race them with dual engines and the ride and handling were stunning. Gene Bianco won the 1962 Around Long Island race in one and the boats were at the very forefront of Offshore racing's beginnings. They also did very well in OPC marathons as well placing well, if not winning most events entered (see below).... Each one was hand crafted and unique. George Linder borrowed freely from the design in creating the Challenger 21 and our later Shadows. George also delivered the eulogy at John's funeral.

They also made sturdy pleasure and work boats. As a matter of fact, a couple still serve as water taxis on Fire Island where they have been in constant service since the early 60's

He taught me a lot about setup and details and left me with a lifelong respect for wood as a superior race boat material and the advantages it brought in allowing limitless changes not only in the original design of a hull, but in later modifications when needed.

So God Speed old friend and may all your seas be calm.

T2x

http://www.acbs.org/rudder/oldrudder...r03/Eltro.html
Attached Thumbnails One of the greats passed away last week.-my-pictures-060.jpg   One of the greats passed away last week.-george2.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 06-29-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

Very nice and informative piece there. I'd heard of Eltro boats, but never in that detail. Nice to know we have somebody here who knows and is willing to share this kind of stuff. Rest in peace John.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Very nice and informative piece there. I'd heard of Eltro boats, but never in that detail. Nice to know we have somebody here who knows and is willing to share this kind of stuff. Rest in peace John.
Agreed.