Looking for a new project:  '70s Cigarette 28SS >

Looking for a new project: '70s Cigarette 28SS

Notices

Looking for a new project: '70s Cigarette 28SS

Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for a new project: '70s Cigarette 28SS

Leaning on the power and knowledge of the OSO community. It's been a while since my last project, OFF DUTY, the McManus Comanche 42 that I had restored a few years ago. Now, for something a bit smaller but presumably with more history.

Ideally, I am looking for an early '70s Cigarette 28SS; race set up, even better if there is some race history with wins. From my bit of research, I understand that there were a limited number built, but enough that there should be some still around. Please let me know if you are aware of such an animal.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 07-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

HORBA has too many historic race boats to work on, looking for some help in moving some of them.

We would like to move the 1974 Cigarette that is 35 feet long and raced under both SPIRIT and more famously with Rocky Aoki as BENIHANA.

It has a tremendous race history, having won the very last Miami to Nassau race, the Bahamas 500, Bushmills twice, Strohs, San Francisco etc etc.

We have tons of the original race photos under both names, a bunch of Benihana stuff that Rocky gave us when he realized we had it. A signed photo from Rocky that says this was his luckiest boat.

You can purchase as bare hull and deck, with original trailer, with all of the pieces we assembled from that period including period correct engines with stacks like in my avatar here. We,have custom color matched awlgrip paint and all the original windshield, fuel fills, cleats etc etc.

If you buy the bare hull and deck, we will make all the other pieces available, if you want them fine, if you just want to do your own restoration, fine too. We are here to help keep these old boats alive for the generations that never saw them run in the races back then.

Power it to look original or repower it with new 700 HP with 6's. Either way it will be the boat that gets the most attention at any poker run or race gathering.

Other boats we have to restore is the 32 foot Cary....The Cigarette.
A 38 foot Bertram race boat..... Vincentive
And my old race boat, the 38 foot Top Banana has just come on the market too.

Last edited by Top Banana; 07-04-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

The HORBA site has photos of the Spirit / Benihana

Look under archives....there are 2 sections it is in.

First, under restorations, the boat as it is now

Second, under members boats, racing photos of the boat back in the day.

www.historicraceboats.com
Old 07-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Saw this on South Florida craigslist,,,,dont know anything about it ,but maybe worth a call? Under heading---- 1973 Cigarette 28ft contact #561-346-1664. good hunting!!!

Last edited by PARASAIL941; 07-12-2014 at 10:46 PM.