Notices

Arneson Drive ???

Old 07-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilotpete
The most efficient method of getting propulsion in the water is dependent upon speed and application. If memory serves me (and it does less and less every year) 50mph is the cutover point for surface piercing drives over non-cavitating submerged props. Cruise ships would not benefit from a surface drive, nor would boats with sub-30 kt cruise speeds.

But in reality, surface drives ARE mainstream in the environment where they are most efficient and effective.
Sorry but not exactly. I have probably 70% of applications whereby the top speed is 35 knots or less. We are much more efficient over an under water gear or pump and at the same time are faster.

Cruise ships are not plaining ships, rather full displacement. Now take a 120' ferry that goes 38 knots loaded and odds are I've been in contact with them. Same for patrol boats, crew boats, work boats, fishing boats, etc..

Same can most likely be said for Bravos. Mercury sells thousands each year to the pontoon boat market and they go as fast as they go but in pure #'s they dominate the sales over performance boats that we see or think of.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok expliane me this ...... Why mercury drive is cheaper then Arneson but when you see the surface drive is much simpler ?

So why Arneson dont sell there drive cheaper so more people buy them ? Eventuly they will get richer by selling parts !!
Old 07-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you should read the thread
Old 07-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strength to strength they are cheaper. An arneson is not a bravo equivalent. more like a #6 strength wise, have you seen the price of a #6? I bet a XR/ITS set up is close to the price of a asd6 kit.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tough to get rich selling replacement parts for stuff that does not break.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulitz
Ok expliane me this ...... Why mercury drive is cheaper then Arneson but when you see the surface drive is much simpler ?

So why Arneson dont sell there drive cheaper so more people buy them ? Eventuly they will get richer by selling parts !!
So your business plan is just to lower the price? Sell parts?

1st. I don't want to loose $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ so I cannot lower the pricing to accommodate that plan on hopes of #2 working as

2nd.. Honestly in 4 years post sale a customer might purchase a trim hose for $45.00

So how many trim hoses does one have to sell in order to cover the loss of selling below cost to increase sales to try to recover the losses through minimal parts sales? And no this is not a trick question, rather it's a plan for failure and conversations about "remember when...... ..... .... .. .. ."

Rather, we try to cover cost, with a small profit that in turn is used to stand behind the one year warranty. You know the thing you expect when you purchase a product and expect it to last. We are not making huge $$ or really any $ on some models. The #7M Kits for example include a transmission that equates to 25% of the kit cost. Maybe I can get Velvet Drive and BAM to lower their cost to make more sales. Nope, they both just told me that that business model won't work and their bills are not paid with "Thank you's".. WTF? I read it on the internet.??

How about this business plan instead..

Arneson sales Value.. Value. You get something that works, something that is reliable, something that can make your boat and boating experience better, faster and less expensive and there is someone there to answer the phones when you have a question or heaven forbid a problem.

Today I've gotten 5 phone calls alone with one simple question.. What weight oil do I use? While we don't sell oil, this example is what a typical customer concern is and there is someone here to answer that and other questions, hence value.

I realize that no one can be everything to everyone. We make ten different Arneson Surface Drive sizes to accommodate power options from 300 ft/lbs of torque up to 42,000 ft/bls of torque and I wish we made bigger ones than that. Smaller, not really as much as there simply is no economical means to make something for nothing, for a market that has no budget in the first place. Unfortunately with this global economy cost are rising.. Inflation is rising as we are coming out of this depression so that means cost are rising for everything, marine or not as everyone who has whore'd out their inventory to make it through the depression are finding that replenishment is costing more and thus prices are rising. This squeezes the smaller market even harder as while their budget of nothing to none has not changed the items they desire have actually risen in cost while they waited to make a decision.

Hence, buy now and save.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Sorry but not exactly. I have probably 70% of applications whereby the top speed is 35 knots or less. We are much more efficient over an under water gear or pump and at the same time are faster.

Cruise ships are not plaining ships, rather full displacement. Now take a 120' ferry that goes 38 knots loaded and odds are I've been in contact with them. Same for patrol boats, crew boats, work boats, fishing boats, etc..

Same can most likely be said for Bravos. Mercury sells thousands each year to the pontoon boat market and they go as fast as they go but in pure #'s they dominate the sales over performance boats that we see or think of.
Ok, got me.

First off, I said "If memory serves me..." based on what I recall reading and studying. Just as some jet pumps are more efficient than others, some surface drives are more efficient than others. And I'm sure that the books I recall are not what might be considered "current". I also didn't specifically mention planing vs. displacement hulls. I understand the issues with power and cavitation in a submerged prop. And lest anyone think I don't like surface drives or has some aversion to them, I'd put them on my boat in a heartbeat if I had the $$$ just laying around. I am a firm believer in the concept and the issues that the concept resolves.

Rik, come on down to DP and I'll buy the beverages and bites. I do love your product.

Last edited by Pilotpete; 07-02-2014 at 05:09 PM.