Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help! Is there any thing to keep those damn seagulls off my boat?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31481-help-there-any-thing-keep-those-damn-seagulls-off-my-boat.html)

CJC 08-22-2002 01:32 PM

Help! Is there any thing to keep those damn seagulls off my boat??

For the past 6 years, I have kept my boat at the and of my dock in a boat hoist. I have never had any problems with seagulls .......until the end of last year. I blew it off ......until this year. From day one, those F#@%*!^G sky rats have taken over my dock and boat. I always kept an owl decoy out there for the hell of it, but now they will sit right on it's head! I just bought a motion sensing high frequency speaker designed to keep pests away. They just S**T on that too! My boat is protected by a full mooring cover. But the mess and smell is just overwhelming. Ever seen a dead fish AFTER it has been eaten by a gull? :mad: It has gotten so bad, I have resorted to trailering my boat.

Has any one heard of anything that will keep these bastards away from my stuff????

Help! I'm a marked man!

CJC

Dave M 08-22-2002 01:36 PM

SMITH & WESSON

dockrocker 08-22-2002 01:39 PM

The marinas around here string monofilament fishing line over the boats - I can't remember if the gulls can see or not see it, but it keeps the SOBs away (for the most part).

Of course, Dave M's solution is probably a bit more permanent... :)

Strike 08-22-2002 01:40 PM

They don't like plastic mesh on swim platforms. Tie some ribbons where you can and pray for wind.
I know one guy that cut a peice of plywood to fit his platform, then drove nails from the bottom up! (Carefull where YOU step.)
Blue is also their favorite color canvas!

Good luck!

Waterfoul 08-22-2002 01:43 PM

Not sure if it will help with the dock or not, but up at my parents cottage the boat owners have been using these helicoptor looking devices. They are about 6' in total length and spin in the wind. They appear to be attached to the pitch pole for the cover and have a small plastic thing on the end that makes them spin. Seems to work well. But most of these boats are in the 16'to 18' range. The one guy with a bigger boat has two of them on his.

Mike

Shorgasm 08-22-2002 01:45 PM

Glock makes a real neat little item.......it's called a .45.........tends to mess up things a bit but nonetheless effective as hell......:eek:

Waterfoul 08-22-2002 01:47 PM

Or, rock salt loaded 12 gauge shells!!!! Less damage to the hull if you miss!!!

Padraig 08-22-2002 01:58 PM

Have not had any problems the last couple of years but in the past the fishing line always worked the best. You will need to put poles that are higher then the boat and cover. Strech the line in a cross hatch pattern over the boat and make it high enough that it does not interfere with you boarding the boat. Use a heavl weight line that it will not easily break.

If you don't have any PETA type neighbors...go for the shotgun.

Strike 08-22-2002 01:58 PM

BTW

Forgot to mention, dish soap on platforms and such works good too. Nice and slippery!

jr 08-22-2002 02:01 PM

alka seltzer. You might have to buy alot until you take care of the local population.:D