New York City Super Boat Grand Prix Canceled

Notices

New York City Super Boat Grand Prix Canceled

Old 07-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 554 Likes on 263 Posts
Default New York City Super Boat Grand Prix Canceled

After more than 20 years, the New York City Super Boat Grand Prix will not be taking place this year, according to Super Boat International officials.

http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...-prix-canceled
Old 07-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Johnson
After more than 20 years, the New York City Super Boat Grand Prix will not be taking place this year, according to Super Boat International officials.

http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...-prix-canceled

Carbonell really needs a new line: "The early years were very successful and well supported by the teams and the local municipalities. Over the recent years, we've received very little to no support from the state and local authorities and it doesn't make sense for us to continue racing there until things change."

This is almost word for word what he said about Key West last year and potentially moving the races there also. Fact is, powerboat racing isn't a mainstream sport, it really shouldn't be funded by the public or if it is the funding shouldn't be a major percentage of revenue. If I was a city councilor, state rep...whatever I would turn his statement around on him by saying......"after 20 years you haven't built enough of a paying fan base yet?"

The whole concept is bad......free attendance yet you need local government support? I can't think of any mainstream racing event that the attendance/tickets are free! Heck the boat show gets $20 a head to attend and they are just boats on display!