Notices

Donzi ZX28

Old 07-10-2014, 01:10 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Donzi ZX28

Hello All,

I am brand new to this site.... A very good friend of mine turned me on to it and so here I am.
I'm trying to do some research on a Donzi ZX 28. I believe that that is the boat and model that I am after but to be honest, I don't know that much about them.
Can anyone give me some of things I should look for in a used version of this boat? I am really considering a 2002 model or later but I don't know exactly the models that had the most or the best changes... I know that I do want the twin 350's. In searching for this dream boat, what if anything should I be looking for? This boat, in my hands, will be a fresh water boat and I really think that I need to find a boat that is only been fresh water... I have plans eventually for 1000 to 1200 HP and a generator that provides A/C to the cuddy... I would greatly appreciate any help on this boat, the pros, the cons. what to look for, etc... the only other boat that I am considering is the Formula, same vintage and comparative model.
I'm glad my buddy turned me on to this, I look forward to being an active part. Thanks in advance for any information on this boat!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:15 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Twin engines in that size range of boat can be a real PITA for maintenance. It sounds like you want to go to a twin LSX platform one day. Given what you want to make of the boat, you will be putting a lot of time and money into it, that you will never get back out of it. You could get into a Donzi or similar 33, 35, or 38 (several different models, ZX, ZR, ZRC) that has 500EFIs or 525EFIs with the HP requirements you want, bone stock; in a package that is turnkey AND has resale.

Also, I don't know if you can fit a permanent mount generator in a 28ZX or Formula 292. Are you thinking about a Honda EU2000i 'suitcase' generator? A few people have mounted them in engine compartments, but nearly no one endorses it, especially not the USCG. (search Honda generator in engine compartment here on OSO)
Many folks do carry on the EU2000i and run it on the swim platform overnight for AC/power; myself included.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Registered

Tons of info and opinions on Donzi here. http://www.donzi.net/forums/index.php
Old 07-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Registered

We have a 35zr and a 28zx the 28 is a great package with 350 mags.
Ours is a 99 it tops out at 70 not sure i would consider putting big power in it.
That's what's the 35 is for.
The 28 is good on fuel and very easy to dock.
Ours does have the usual stress cracks around the fairing
The ones with a 1.5:1 drive ratio seem to work better.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

U can go wrong with a donzi i think. I love my zx it has the most room in its size range and has every thing me and the wife want and need. Grate boats in big water being so heavy
Old 07-10-2014, 10:29 PM
VIP Member

Sydwayz,

Thanks for the info! One issue is that my home lake is pretty shallow and not drought resistant at all. The next issue is that I want to step up to the big boats slowly (over 30") and anything over about 28 is tough for our lake right now. I will take into consideration what you had to say. Thanks for the input!
Old 07-10-2014, 10:33 PM
VIP Member

Thanks so much! I am just getting started in my quest for the my perfect boat so I greatly appreciate the link!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:06 PM
VIP Member

Are there any issues that I should look for with a used one? Do you have anything going on with yours that you would try steer away from if you bought another one?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:16 PM
VIP Member

I didn't realize there were different ratio options, that is certainly something I need to know. Thanks! I'm not really after the speed, 65 to 70 is plenty fast for me (for now lol). The healthier power units that I plan to include down the road is not as much about the speed as it is the sound and just to say "my boat has 1000 HP". I'm an old motor head that has been working with 350's for years... I know it probably doesn't make sense financially but that's not the point. I don't want to race anyone, ever, its just something for me...
Please tell about the stress cracks, where are they? Are they normal? What is excessive?
Old 07-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Cool

Welcome to the crew. This is a great place to learn. I have Donzi 26 ZX with a 502 MPI MAG. Plenty of get up and go. Great looking boat. We still get compliments on it and its a 2000. Buy one that's been well cared for and that will save you trouble. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.