Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sea trial 2005 Fountain 35 - what should I look for? >

Sea trial 2005 Fountain 35 - what should I look for?

Notices

Sea trial 2005 Fountain 35 - what should I look for?

Old 07-10-2014, 06:03 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sea trial 2005 Fountain 35 - what should I look for?

OK, I'm in the process of buying a 2005 Fountain 35 Lightning w 525s. It has 160 hours relatively light use. Boat looks to be in excellent condition. I've read a lot about the header leaking issues so short of pressure testing them what can I look for during the sea trial which might indicate problems. Short of the obvious (rough running, hard shifting, gauge readings, etc) are there other tell tail signs of problems to look for relating to the engine & drives. Any and all advice is appreciated.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also want to add its a fresh water only boat.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it has 525's is there a possibility of getting the engines on a scanner? That will tell you actual hours, etc. lot of good info if I am not mistaken.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
Since it has 525's is there a possibility of getting the engines on a scanner? That will tell you actual hours, etc. lot of good info if I am not mistaken.
get them scanned. takes only minutes. Headers are not cheap. Keep that in mind as those seem to be an item most owners of 525's switch out eventually. Might be worth it to have a certified merc mechanic go over the motors drives gauges and have a surveyor look at the hull.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for? See if you can find that other three feet of boat in that 32 footer! lol All kidding aside, sounds like a nice boat if the price is right. Just add in the price of a new set of headers when you figure the price. At 9 (really 10) years old, it should be about time.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

I'd be more concerned about wet stringers or transom than the overstated header issue.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Stringers should not be an issues on that vintage. Check the transom at the bottom of the inner transom plate, look for water stains cause by rotting wood. The sealing of the hole cut for the drive leaves a lot to be desired. You can also shine a light from the top side and look at the transom in between the plates under the drive shaft.

Some of these boats get wet in the cabin too, the carpet should notify you of water issues in the cabin. Jump on the floor a little and see how it feels.

Header can be an issue with 525s, I read a lot and know someone that had issues. However I also know quite a few with more hours than that....no issues.

Scan will show hours by RPM, its a must. If the dealer is willing I would also have them drain drive oil and remove rear caps from drives to inspect the XR gears. 200-250 is about the life of the gears under normal use, however abuse will shorten that life span. You will be looking for metal chunks (not shavings) in the oil, and chipped or pitted gears in the drive.

Besides that just prepared to go fast in a stable ride, and take a beating from old school boats without molded platforms picking on the LOA measurement. Seems to really hurt those guys deep how fast you will be able to go in rough water, so you will pay for it with childish jabs
Old 07-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Stringers should not be an issues on that vintage. Check the transom at the bottom of the inner transom plate, look for water stains cause by rotting wood. The sealing of the hole cut for the drive leaves a lot to be desired. You can also shine a light from the top side and look at the transom in between the plates under the drive shaft.

Some of these boats get wet in the cabin too, the carpet should notify you of water issues in the cabin. Jump on the floor a little and see how it feels.

Header can be an issue with 525s, I read a lot and know someone that had issues. However I also know quite a few with more hours than that....no issues.

Scan will show hours by RPM, its a must. If the dealer is willing I would also have them drain drive oil and remove rear caps from drives to inspect the XR gears. 200-250 is about the life of the gears under normal use, however abuse will shorten that life span. You will be looking for metal chunks (not shavings) in the oil, and chipped or pitted gears in the drive.

Besides that just prepared to go fast in a stable ride, and take a beating from old school boats without molded platforms picking on the LOA measurement. Seems to really hurt those guys deep how fast you will be able to go in rough water, so you will pay for it with childish jabs
Yep, ton of butt hurt around here.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

check for snail tracks in the v berth, left by skanks from the local watering hole. also check for stress cracks everywhere
Old 07-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 54 Posts

Check for busted stringers in the v berth, being a fountain I'm sure they've been beat up pretty good from the top.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.