Notices

496 issue....any clues

Old 07-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts
Default 496 issue....any clues

Having it looked at this week but wondering if anyone has some possible insight.

Started doing this last out......twin engine and the issue only is with the port engine.

First....go to start the boat and I get 2 beeps apart from one another and they do not repeat usually (they have though).

Main prob I can get the boat up and on plane. Once going the port engine alarm goes off.......i can give that motor power once the rpms drop and the alarm goes off. So since I can I keep the starboard side powered up and just keep dropping and then reading throttle to the port side when the alarm sounds.

We scanned the boat last week and got "low fuel pressure codes". Also the boat is only drinking from one gas tank although each motor is set to it's own tank.

Any clues?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:10 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

You will have to be a lot more detailed with "we scanned and got low fuel pressure codes" Mercruiser lists for the 496 non catalyst motor 236 fault codes and not one of them is listed as a low fuel pressure fault code.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:30 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the gas tank issue should be your first focus. don't know it's design, but sounds like you may have a stuck check valve or possible bad pickup in one tank
Old 07-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
You will have to be a lot more detailed with "we scanned and got low fuel pressure codes" Mercruiser lists for the 496 non catalyst motor 236 fault codes and not one of them is listed as a low fuel pressure fault code.

I will get it.

My buddy in store the boat with got those codes last week and that's what was relayed to me.

However we also found the fuel selector switch in between tanks so we figured that maybe the cause. We cleared all the codes, set the tanks to the coordinating motor, and did a hose test......all OK.

As soon as I hit the open water the issue started again.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
the gas tank issue should be your first focus. don't know it's design, but sounds like you may have a stuck check valve or possible bad pickup in one tank
This is where we plan to start....fuel pump maybe or a bad pick up. We had no clue about the one tank only till yesterday.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Run your motor on a portable gas tank with correct size fuel line hooked to the fuel water sep filter head. In your case two portable gas tanks for testing both motors That will eliminate all gas side delivery components and even crap in your boat fuel tank.

This takes out of the mix all fuel valves - anti siphon valves - fuel pick up cracked or broken off, quality of your fuel and any water in the mix with the fuel and so on. If your problems go away from testing with portable fuel tanks then you know which side was causing the grief.

This is how we do it all the time to save time and pin point where the problem is. Also fuel pressure test readings is wise in both tests. Check it with running your fuel supply and check it with the portable fuel tanks. Also Nice Sonic really like the colors. Good luck.

Last edited by BUP; 07-21-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

What year 496? Could be the booster pump located near the fuel/water separating filter. Turn the key on and listen for the pump to energize.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
What year 496? Could be the booster pump located near the fuel/water separating filter. Turn the key on and listen for the pump to energize.

I will do this
Old 07-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Run your motor on a portable gas tank with correct size fuel line hooked to the fuel water sep filter head. In your case two portable gas tanks for testing both motors That will eliminate all gas side delivery components and even crap in your boat fuel tank.

This takes out of the mix all fuel valves - anti siphon valves - fuel pick up cracked or broken off, quality of your fuel and any water in the mix with the fuel and so on. If your problems go away from testing with portable fuel tanks then you know which side was causing the grief.

This is how we do it all the time to save time and pin point where the problem is. Also fuel pressure test readings is wise in both tests. Check it with running your fuel supply and check it with the portable fuel tanks. Also Nice Sonic really like the colors. Good luck.
I will also try this with the tanks to eliminate one or the other. So far it has been a trouble free boat and at the end of this I don't see it being a major issue just a pain in the ass is all.

At least I can still get out there and get it home.

Thank you for the compliment. The paint was one of.many things that drew me to her.

This was yesterday at Anclote sand bar.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Boost pumps on the early 496s do go bad, especially with crappy or untreated ethanol fuel. So can the inline fuel filters.

I believe:
...the early 496s have the Inline Fuel Filters, Boost Pumps, and spin-on Q01 fuel/water separators (that look like a short oil filter
...the later 496s have the canister/replacement element fuel/water separator that comes out with 3 screws, and no inline fuel filter and no boost pump

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.