Notices

41 apache worth.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 41 apache worth.

let me start by saying - no fanboys. please. the 41 apache is IMO the best example of true offshore performance ever built. however, they are all over the board as far as price.

I'm interested in "yellow warpath" and "warpaint"

both are listed competitively at around $125k. both are 1985, and have been for sale the entire time I've owned a performance boat.

which tells me the sad truth is they are overpriced... as hard as it is I think a lot of us need to realize times are changing with the economy and the glory days are over. myself included.

so, realistically - what are they worth and how much $ in maintaining a boat like this per 100 hours ( 1 season) - keep in mind while I would wring the boat out from time to time - I'd be more interested in cruising in a poker run until it was somewhere snotty.

sort of a day dream, sort of a reality if that makes sense...thnks for the help.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Buying the boat is the cheap part. Fuel and maintenance will be $$$$
Old 07-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 269 Likes on 132 Posts

Hammerhead can be bought in the very low $100K's.

Ive asked this question before and could never really get a solid answer, when is the last time a staggered 6 person 41 sold, and what did it bring?

My best guess is Ghost Runner and I think it brought $75k...

Last edited by 302Sport; 07-21-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
Buying the boat is the cheap part. Fuel and maintenance will be $$$$
yah in two motors and drives you'd be close to purchase price of the boat.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Hammerhead can be bought in the very low $100K's.

Ive asked this question before and could never really get a solid answer, when is the last time a staggered 6 person 41 sold, and what did it bring?
kind of what I'm getting at. Tonto is by far my favorite, but @ 225k - its double the other boats listed. also I can't find anywhere to book the 41. Nada lists 36,42, 47.

edit - didn't I see pics of hammerhead with the bow sticking up out of the water? (sunk) - thatll change negotiations for anyone with as much brains as money.

Last edited by PigNaPoke; 07-21-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 878 Likes on 476 Posts

The problem is the boats are "underwhelming" in many areas. While we have all seen the Apache raceboats running 100 mph in 6 ft seas with Saccenti working the magic sticks but in reality a new boat with 565s will run the same speeds with modern amenities/styling and none of the hassle of maintaining a 30+ year old boat that needs huge HP to run 80 mph.

There seems to be 2 moves with Apaches:
1. Over restore, make it perfect for 3-4X what you could ever sell it for (Spirit of Apache 47 and Sacred Ground 41 come to mind)
2. Take the boat apart, restore it on a budget and it never sees water again (Jay 13 41 and Razz 41 boats come to mind). What kills me is both boats were running boats, looked fine before the "restorations" began........yet neither boat ever got put back in the water again! I suspect the 45 Apache Kid boat ended up this way also.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PigNaPoke
Tonto is by far my favorite, but @ 225k - its double the other boats listed.
You have good taste my friend. That is by far IMO the best 41 Apache. I've been in it many times and it's incredible in the REAL rough. Also Robert has kept that boat in showroom condition. Also he doesn't need to sell it but that is a prime example of what a BRANDNEW 41 Apache looks like.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
The problem is the boats are "underwhelming" in many areas. While we have all seen the Apache raceboats running 100 mph in 6 ft seas with Saccenti working the magic sticks but in reality a new boat with 565s will run the same speeds with modern amenities/styling and none of the hassle of maintaining a 30+ year old boat that needs huge HP to run 80 mph.

There seems to be 2 moves with Apaches:
1. Over restore, make it perfect for 3-4X what you could ever sell it for (Spirit of Apache 47 and Sacred Ground 41 come to mind)
2. Take the boat apart, restore it on a budget and it never sees water again (Jay 13 41 and Razz 41 boats come to mind). What kills me is both boats were running boats, looked fine before the "restorations" began........yet neither boat ever got put back in the water again! I suspect the 45 Apache Kid boat ended up this way also.
great post IMO... you're exactly right about taking a boat like this completely apart without spending top $
Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
While we have all seen the Apache raceboats running 100 mph in 6 ft seas with Saccenti working the magic sticks but in reality a new boat with 565s will run the same speeds
Might run the same speed but definitely not in the same conditions of REAL 4-6 ft seas. Remember many people say " I was out today in 6ft seas" and when you see the video, they're like 2-3ft. But I agree with your "2 moves"
Old 07-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

The way I see most of the 41's listed for sale forever at prices higher than comparable vintage cigs etc is that:

1. I have been on a 41, they are one hell of a boat.
2. It takes a certain person to own one to begin with
3 The common saying is "everything is for sale"

So you have a guy with a 41, he likes the boat, but like everything else its "for sale" at a price that shows he likes the boat, doesn't really want to get rid of it, but if somebody shows up with a suitcase full of benjamins....

The ones that have sold have sold for considerably less because the owners actually wanted to sell them, take the chief for example. ( not the first mohican, but the white/pink apache).

Your going to need fairly healthy blower motors to make one fun, not huge but starting around 850's and decent drives both which take a bit of care and feeding. Granted today you could build a decent cube motor with fuel injection, whipples, hyd.roller cams and make it "realitively dependabe" with modern tech, But most of the old boats have carbs, big roots blowers, solid cams etc.

If things go right, its not that bad to run one, but if things go bad it can get real expensive real quick.

Consider in my little boat, I hit a log the other day, tore up the drive and prop. thats going to cost a couple to get the drive fixed up and got a used prop from hotrodlncn. Do that in an apache, a set of new props for a 6's can cost as much as a new kia....... So that 120k boat can easily cost 240k if you have a bad season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.