1997 fountain 38 with 22% prop slip >

1997 fountain 38 with 22% prop slip

Notices

1997 fountain 38 with 22% prop slip

Old 07-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
As someone else asked, what's the story on this boat? Was it running when you bought it? What power, what drives, how fast? Did you do anything to the boat besides the motors? How sure are you that they actually produce 750 HP? All things equal, any other 38 small stepped Fever could run the speed you are getting with less than 550 HP per engine. Turning the props in might help it pick up a couple of MPH. Going to 5 bladed props might also help it 2 - 3 mph, but you should be close to 100 with 750 HP per side.

Here is the story.....

Started out with a 32 Envision that was build with Eddie Young 625EFI motors with the XR 2' shorty drives. Boat was slow, 68 MPH. Knowing the motors made good power and they would be better suited in a better haul/setup we went with the 38 fountain. Boat was purchased with no motors or drives. Boat had 800HP SC motors and XR drives and ran 110 before we got ahold of the haul. Few nights in the shop switching motors...bam we were ready to test. Fountain ran 86 but always had a few issues. Motors were pig fat and often ran rough. We pulled the motors and send to Ozark speed and marine. He had them for over a year while we bounced around the idea of blowers, bigger motors etc. The injectors were shot and not working properly. They were all rebuilt. When Jim was done he dynoed them at 750. We put the motors back in the boat last weekend. Boat ran 83 at 5300 with stock 32p 4 blades. Motors did run a lot better. Idled smooth and no popping while reving up. That's when we posted here....hoping we could find a solution. Through research we thought the boat would run mid 90s easy.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 342 Likes on 120 Posts

What props did you use when the boat ran 86 MPH before the engine rebuild? If it was the same set of 32's then it sounds like those engines aren't making anywhere near the power they should be. Either the build wasn't what you paid for or an ignition or fuel issue?

Last edited by Marginmn; 07-23-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

110 with a small step 38 Fever, with 800's, sounds a bit of a long shot. The Fever hull was never one of Fountains faster hulls, even with the steps. Your boat with a pair of 415HP 502 mags, was about a 70mph boat, maybe a tad more, talking real world conditions. Not 4 ounces of fuel, at sea level, with 60 degree air temp. Im talking hot summer day, 1/2 tank of gas, and a few people on board.

I would think 90 or maybe low 90's, is a realistic goal if you truly have 750hp per side. But, you probably need some tweaking to get there. Prop rotation, prop style, trim settings, etc. Without indicators, one drive being off a number or 2 from the other can make a big difference at 90mph range.

In regards to the engines, what exactly was done to them, to go from Eddie Young 625's, to 750's? To gain 125hp, there had to be some MAJOR changes made, or a blower added. What are the details of the build?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the shorties now on the boat could your X dimension be to high?
Old 07-24-2014, 12:48 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nmca_chevy
I was thinking the same thing that the boat should run 10MPH faster. Drives have drive showers. I am not sure what you mean by check the haul for hook. I will do a google search to find out what that means haha!

We are rookies when it comes to boating....we are only capable of swapping motors because of our extensive drag racing back ground. If you want to talk small tire drag radial racing I wont sound so uneducated.

thanks for the help!
well then, first off its a HULL not haul. lol lay a long straight edge along the bottom of your hull from the transom forward. see if you see an air space. it should be fairly evident if you have a hook
Old 07-24-2014, 12:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
Did you check the cabin really good for a bunch of bikini bottoms? It is a Fountain. Im guessing thats the problem.
yeah i would do that, fountain skanks bikini bottoms weigh a ton, they average a 42" waist... look for lots of melted hershey kisses under the v berth too, thats what most fountain owners use to lure those fat skanks down into the cabin
Old 07-24-2014, 01:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nmca_chevy
Is it a bad idea to run the drives in the opposite direction as they are usually run? By switching he cables I will be shifting into what is now reverse...but with props switched it will actually be forward.
X2... switch the drives, the drives wont like being loading that hard in reverse, and might puke to demonstrate their displeasure
Old 07-24-2014, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 1,332 Likes on 743 Posts

They are XR drives, one already is running in "reverse".
Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I dont believe their is anything wrong with switching the way the bravo spins. Its not like a TRS/SSM boat. Those you MUST switch the drives, because the transmissions cant handle it. Those drives are rotation specific, (RH & LH). Bravo boats only need 1 spare drive in the garage. TRS/SSM need 2 spare drives for twin engine boats.

I'd get the props turning inwards, and some indicator cables on it to start. .
Old 07-24-2014, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

625 HP netted you 86 MPH

Nothing changed besides engines for more pow, .Right? boat already had the -2 with the 625?

750 HP netted 83 MPH.....(new engines)

Looks to me like you have been cheated and have 575 HP or so a side now.

Dose Performance boat center, LOTO marine, or one of those places down there, have a prop shaft/marine dyno? Go and verify the HP #'s. Im not sure how far away Grand sport center is fomr you but they have a dyno.

My 2 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.