Notices

Gull Island shut down ?

Old 08-22-2002, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Gull Island shut down ?

I heard a rumour that the island is shut down. There are no trespassing sings and you will be ticketed if you land.

Any truth to this?
Old 08-22-2002, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some truth but has not happened YET!!! Just approved but Clay Twp board in which it is located. No date given as to WHEN it will be shut down but it is going to happen.
Old 08-22-2002, 03:39 PM
Registered

Why would they shut the island down. I know about the stabbing at Muscamoot, that has nothing to do with Gull. It's not like people can't find other spots to party in the lake. Makes no sense to me.
Old 08-22-2002, 03:55 PM
Registered

Another wonderful case of the gubberment coming to save us from ourselves

Q: What are the scariest words in the English language?

A: I'm from the government, I'm here to help.

Gary, I know you're a deputy and I understand the concerns about access to the island for emergency crews, etc., but this is a complete overreaction. What was not mentioned is that the Clay Twp board decided on this action after listening to a pitch/***** from Mother Against Drunk Driving, laced liberally with accusations of underage drinking, etc.

Of course, none of them are boaters. And if they are so concerned about underage drinking, perhaps they should spend some time at any high school football game; I'd venture to guess that there are a hell of a lot more underage drinkers at a high school function than there are that own a boat able to get to Gull Island.

But of course that's not the point. The parties at Gull have been deemed "dangerous" by those who know better than you how you should live your life, and therefore must be banned. Mark my words, Muscamoot will be next.

Message to the Clay Township board:
Attached Thumbnails Gull Island shut down ?-stupid.jpg  
Old 08-22-2002, 04:26 PM
rerun

It doesn't matter if they shut it down from the island. There are so many places that you can go. There just moving it from one place to another.

Old 08-22-2002, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey Guys

I agree with what you are saying! I have had more than one disagreement with the powers to be. I have said why send the crazy's all over when MOST are at Gull.Not to be confused that most at gull are crazy. Believe me I have been there on my own time. For example 2 Thursdays ago with my son in my Phantom. I was not at the meeting although I live in Clay twp. But this is not the place for me to air my personnal opinions as I don't know who is reading this PUBLIC form and might cause problems. When I post things about the department It is public knowlege that anyone could get for the sheriff's office. I joined this forum as I too have the need for speed and enjoy my personal time out in my boat.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I Read That they will put up the signs of no trespassing for Sept. 7th & 8th. when they wanted to have Jobbie "2" .This time i think it may happen
Old 08-22-2002, 09:19 PM
Registered

Gary,

I definitely understand and I think everyone else does as well. Sucks that you have to worry about airing your opinion in the "free" US of A, but that's the way it is these days.

Maybe we should invoke the power of OSO and let Clay Twp know what we think.... hmmm, not a bad idea...
Old 08-22-2002, 09:43 PM
Registered

Then maybee they will all go to sea way island or Muskamoot...Where is the harm in the Gull Island party ???
Ok then who will enforce these rules?? what if you hang out in the water 100ft off the island??
Old 08-24-2002, 10:40 AM
Registered

I could see this action being taken if it were an every weekend event and was getting totally out of control. The party is twice a year at most, and something tells me the September one will not be quite as big as June, because of end of season and the back to school thing where everyone suddenly ends up busy with life. You have Mark Hackel practically promoting this party and why don't these do gooders go out and rope off an emergency path to the island and that problem is solved. Lot less energy than trying to keep everyone off the island.

Clowns like Kevin Deitz doing his news special on the "Island Parties" that are out of control don't help. He mentioned Strawberry Island (family island) as one of the party spots and made it sound like Gull was completely out of control all summer. Thanks media.

Quick Reply: Gull Island shut down ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.