Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   boost and a 1012 felpro head gasket (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31592-boost-1012-felpro-head-gasket.html)

36spectre 08-27-2002 09:10 PM

I hav a similar set up on a cat with alot more water pressure so it's probably not that. What fuel are you using. Safe to say that it should be 100.

jdnca1 08-28-2002 08:14 AM

Charlie;

For reference, the Carrera in NC I've told you about runs 118 Octane in his injected 622 with 15# of intercooled boost (Pro-charger) Also runs a solid roller for cylinder pressure control, something like 252/272 with .700 lift. on 114 CL. No problems in 3 seasons. Sounds like a tank for 108 Octane storage is in the future.;) :p

bobby daniels 08-28-2002 11:09 AM

Originally posted by jdnca1
Charlie;

For reference, the Carrera in NC I've told you about runs 118 Octane in his injected 622 with 15# of intercooled boost (Pro-charger) Also runs a solid roller for cylinder pressure control, something like 252/272 with .700 lift. on 114 CL. No problems in 3 seasons. Sounds like a tank for 108 Octane storage is in the future.;) :p

IF YOUR TALKING ABOUT THE CARRERA THAT THE ENGINE WAS BUILT AT LAKE NORMAN AND BELONGS TO A GUY NAMED JOHN SOMETHING ,,,,,ITS ALSO LIKE THE MOTOR YOU DESCRIBED ABOVE ALUM. BLOCK INJECTION ,ECT..
I VISITED LAKE WYLIE AND WATCH HIM RACE 2 OTHER CATS ONE WAS A ELIMINATOR 510 CID SOLID ROLLER ECT AND HE BARLY GOT AROUND THIS GUY AND THE SECOND WAS A 28 W P M CAT ( TOM sTOLARTZ OF WARLOCK ) FAME ,AND HE DID NOT EVEN
COME CLOSE TO IT . ONLY THE 28 CAT WAS RUNNING RACE FUEL
AND HE WAS 9 TO ONE AND 14 LBS OF BOOST ,NO INTERCOOLER !
BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY ,THOUGH MAYBE MIX FUEL 50/50
BUT YOU SHOULD NOT NEED THAT ,HOPE THIS HELPS :) :)

jdnca1 08-28-2002 01:12 PM

Bob;

That is the boat. I bought my Carrera from the same guy who supplied his boat and built his engine... I spoke with him (the engine builder) about 2 weeks ago and asked how John was getting along, etc. His motor made 1480HP @15# of boost on the Dyno with CMI headers @6700ish. It was on for close to a month getting the fuel injection, etc re-dialed in. John runs 93 Octane in one tank for cruising around then swithches tanks to 118 Octane for boost over 8#. His 622 is 9:1. Was that the Eliminator with a 350hp fogger kit on it I've heard about down there? How can you not need fuel if you're running 9:1 with 14-15# of boost? Do you realize the CR with that boost is around 14:1 intercooled, and closer to 16:1 non intercooled....I realize they are FI motors that can back down timing, etc but it seems if the timing has to come down to like 20 degrees you would be at the same power level with less boost and more timing. Please explain.

Wette Vette runs 13.2:1 CR Natural on 108 Octane and gets into light Detonation from time to time when he plays with his set-up. Another buddy who has a 17:1 drag racer burns a "wicked" mix of 130 Octane.

bobby daniels 08-28-2002 01:43 PM

Bob;

That is the boat. I bought my Carrera from the same guy who supplied his boat and built his engine... I spoke with him (the engine builder) about 2 weeks ago and asked how John was getting along, etc. His motor made 1480HP @15# of boost on the Dyno with CMI headers @6700ish. It was on for close to a month getting the fuel injection, etc re-dialed in. John runs 93 Octane in one tank for cruising around then swithches tanks to 118 Octane for boost over 8#. His 622 is 9:1. Was that the Eliminator with a 350hp fogger kit on it I've heard about down there? How can you not need fuel if you're running 9:1 with 14-15# of boost? Do you realize the CR with that boost is around 14:1 intercooled, and closer to 16:1 non intercooled....I realize they are FI motors that can back down timing, etc but it seems if the timing has to come down to like 20 degrees you would be at the same power level with less boost and more timing. Please explain.

Wette Vette runs 13.2:1 CR Natural on 108 Octane and gets into light Detonation from time to time when he plays with his set-up. Another buddy who has a 17:1 drag racer burns a "wicked" mix of 130 Octane.

WELL YOU'VE GOT A NICE BOAT THEN !!
MY POST THE WAY I READ IT AND MEANT FOR IT TO READ WAS HE
THE 28 WAS THE ONLY ONE USING RACE FUEL ,JUST GOT TO READ IT SLOW :)
THATS ALOT OF HORSE POWER OF COURSE THE DYNO HELPS THAT ,THIS IS ONLY MY FEELINGS AS I SAW HE OUT RUN BY 117MPH BOATS AND A BOAT LIKE THIS WITH THAT MUCH POWER SHOULD BE MUCH FASTER ,RIGHT???
ALSO I FEEL SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST VERY LUCKY IN THEIR COMBOS.,THEY DO THINGS I COULD NEVER GET BY WITH ON MY DYNO OR BOAT ,TAKE CARE SORRY FOR CONFUSION :) :)

jdnca1 08-28-2002 04:43 PM

Johns best speed to date is 129 @6400 1.30 gear with 32 bravo, on a B-Max. He wants more boost, but Pro Charger doesn't make any "taller" overdrive pullys...:rolleyes: ;) You don't hear that from guys with Bravo's..:rolleyes: I think a Box would help him more and we'll soon know. ;) :cool:

Rick252 08-28-2002 04:46 PM

Merlin

Did you get your boat back together and are you going to make the Cumberland Poker Run ?

Rick

bobby daniels 08-28-2002 05:34 PM

Johns best speed to date is 129 @6400 1.30 gear with 32 bravo, on a B-Max. He wants more boost, but Pro Charger doesn't make any "taller" overdrive pullys...:rolleyes: ;) You don't hear that from guys with Bravo's..:rolleyes: I think a Box would help him more and we'll soon know. ;) :cool:
:confused:

:D JOHN HAS NEVER DONE THIS WITH ANY WITTNESS THAT WE KNOW OF ! I HAVE FRIENDS ON HIS LAKE AND CALLED THEM JUST NOW AND FOR THE MOST PART HE NEVER RUNS OR RIDES .BO AT LAKE NORMAN SAID IT WAS 1100H.P. BUT WHO REALY KNOWS !
JOHN IS A NICE GUY BUT HIS BOAT IS NOT THAT FAST AS DEE GAINEY OUT RAN HIM 2 TIMES WITH A 110 M.P.H. BOAT
DEE SAID HE WOULD BE GLAD TO TRY HIM AGAIN ANY TIME !
ALSO A 29 FOUNTAIN OWNED BY MARK JAMES WAS QUICKER AND STAYED WITH HIM AT TOP END (BOX,557,QUAD ROTOR WHIPPLE ,,ECT.)
PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS WRONG AS ITS ONLY SOMETHING I SAW HAPPEN AND THERE TWO SIDES TO EVERY TAIL !!!!!!
HE DOES HAVE A NICE BOAT AND CARRIEA IS THE BEST CAT JUST NOT THIS ONE !!!:) :)

jdnca1 08-28-2002 09:15 PM

I can't really disagree with you because I don't know John. I do know Ed (BO) fairly well and he has always been a straight shooter with me....I also have have been told John doesn't run very often (maybe a little afraid of the boat) Anyway, when I was buying my boat his motor was in the shop on the dyno (the first time around) getting the fuel injection dialed in, for what its worth I saw 1280hp on one of the sheets at (I believe) 10# of boost. This was almost 3 yrs ago now, my memory is a little foggy. My understanding is the motor was just turned up this past spring..but as you've stated who really knows. I often tell people my 632 is a 454...:eek: I learn real quick if they are performance boaters or not by the look on their face when I fire up. :rolleyes: I really don't know Fountains that well, I'm guessing that is a twin? FAST NONE-THE-LESS. I'll let Bo know how the (newly installed) box turns out on mine with a 2" shortie. Maybe (John and myself) will be able to experiment with anything other than a Bravo...can't get on plane with any other props....
I will say there is some SERIOUSLY HEAVY IRON on that lake. It would be fun to live there.:) :cool:

bobby daniels 08-29-2002 11:20 AM

yep ,I THINK YOU WOULD HAVE FUN WHICH IS THE NAME OF THE GAME !!!!!!!! JOHN IS AFAID I AGREE OF HIS BOAT AS WE FEEL IT SHOULD BE MUCH FASTER :) LETS ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO BRING YOUR BOAT DOWN AND WE CAN MEET YOU AT LAKE WYLIE ,I HAVE A FRIEND THAT LIVES THERE AND HAS TONS OF FREE ROOM ,WE CAN TERRORIZE THEIR LAKE :D
SEE YA