Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cruised Sonic 30SS to Nantucket! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31598-cruised-sonic-30ss-nantucket.html)

CBR 08-24-2002 01:49 PM

Cruised Sonic 30SS to Nantucket!

Yep, after ten days and seas up to 7 feet, I'm back home.

Cruised from Great South Bay on Long Island to Shelter island in two hours, next day to Block Island. Could not get 92 octane fuel there so we had to detour to Point Judith, cruise WAY north in a no wake zone to get 92, and back. By then the seas were building to seven footers around the R.I. points, hence detoured to Newport. Stayed there for two days, fog and strong winds. Finally shot across the ocean, up the Vineyard Sound to get fuel at Edgartown, then onto Nantucket. Stayed at Natucket for four days and then two days to get home. Awesome trip, and the Sonic weathered some truly awful seas. A cat would have sunk or flipped for sure I think......after this trip, I'll never think of buying a cat again.

beerock 08-24-2002 03:40 PM

theres not many fast boats i nantucket, when I was there in july I didnt see one deep vee race style boat or cat... pretty dipressing.

I did see tons of mega bucks yachts though...

we were in nantuket for work, we played at "the box" in nantucket.

wer are thunder road, a bruce springsteen tribute band...

CBR 08-24-2002 03:50 PM

You are 100% correct about the absence of offshore performance boats in Nantucket. Moored at the town dock three slips in, I must have answered about 200 questions concerning the "coolest boat in the harbour". I did see a Donzi 16 footer on the deck of a 130 Foot plus yacht, but that was it. I think you would have to be mad to try to take a cat hull boat there as conditions were bad enough in our V hull.

C_Spray 08-24-2002 05:25 PM

Sounds like a he!! of a trip.

Do you take your better half with you? If so, did it all go OK? I'm planning 10 days/500 miles throughout the Chesapeake Bay in my 38' in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure we'll still be talking to each other afterwards (she loves the boat), but you can never tell after a rough day or two...

Anybody want to go along or meet up with us?

PS - Did you see the "Detroit Eagle" there? It's a 156' Feadship that belongs to my boss, and probably would have had a shine on it that made the other yachts look dull.

CBR 08-24-2002 05:59 PM

Yes, CSpray we saw your boss boat as it was moored at the same marina we were at. Awesome superyacht!!!

I am sure he saw our boat as he had to walk right past it. Ask him what he thought of the Hyperfishing.com boat at the main dock. I'd be interested to know the reaction of superyacht owners, as everyone else loved the custom modifications.

Good question about the wife's reaction....in the horrific seas she had some REAL choice words for me!!! But after shopping for several days in Nantucket and loving it, and having a wonderful e trip back home, with stops at historic restaurants etc., she is looking forward to doing an even longer trip on the boat. We spent ten days on it so you will have no problems with eight extra feet. Just be sure to constantly compliment her on how well she handled the radio, lines, navigation etc.

Major tip: Find out about where you can get 92 octane fuel BEFORE you plan your stops. It is a major hassle!!!

Good luck and have fun!

Indy 08-24-2002 09:02 PM

CBR...how long did it take to go from Pt. Judith to Martha's to Nantucket? I'm assuming you did it in one shot? How fast was your cruise?

C_Spray 08-24-2002 09:08 PM

CBR - Thanks for the feedback. The good news for me is that we've already been through a couple of "bumpy" :eek: passages, and she was fine as soon as the rough stuff was over. The other good news is that not only is the Chesapeake Bay FULL of marinas, my boat uses 89 octane. :p Gotta love Innovation's engines....

Audiofn 08-24-2002 09:47 PM

Nantuckett is getting so out of control with the amount that they charge. The launch will cost you 4 bucks each way for each person!!!!!! Take four people in and that is 32 bucks!!!!! Plus tip!!!! OUCH. Stull a fun place to visit and the only place that has a better display of Mega yachts is Ft. Lauderdale when the boat show is in town. The ladies are SOOOOOOO good looking as well :D:D:D:D

Jon

CBR 08-24-2002 10:06 PM

Hi Jon:

I did meet Chris M as he walked past the boat. Nice guy, and many thanks for the recommendation.

The moorings were full, but we were lucky and got a dock spot, expensive, but worth it. Interesting about the launch trips...ouch! A few of those back and forths and it is better to have a dock spot.

Everywhere we docked, Shelter, Block, Newport, people raved about the Sonic and the custom modifications I did to it. That is what I like to see. <gg> Boat shows next?

CBR 08-24-2002 10:23 PM

Indy:

We had to port in Newport for a couple of days due to the bad wind/waves, so left from there at around 11AM.

Then we spent some time trying and failing to get gas, calling out on channel 16 "any go fasts in the Newport area, where do we get 92 octane?". Someone was listening and told us we had to travel about twenty/thirty miles north to Warwick, RI to get it.

Passed an Outer Limits hanging out there, wonder if it was him who gave us the tip. Thanks!!!! Anyway, we had to zip back past Newport, across open water, and up the Sound to Edgartown in Martha's Vineyard. There we waited in line for about 40 minutes to get more 92 grade gas. There were many no wake zones into and out of the gas areas, so we did not get to Nantucket until about 6:30 PM! We cruised between 40 and 55 miles an hour.

Be extremely careful of rocks along the way, don't even try it unless you have a good chart plotter and paper charts. I narrowly missed wrecking on the "middle ground" in the middle of Martha's Vineyard Sound because I was spending too much time looking at the impressive cliffs way off the in distance, until I noticed white water and then the rocks on the chart plotter after the screen on the plotter refreshed. I often run off the screen on my plotter and for a few moments have no information in front of me.

I definately plan to get radar mounted this winter as it was scary heading out in light fog, that mercifully lifted outside Newport.