Cobalt 263 Opinions Needed >

Cobalt 263 Opinions Needed

Notices

Cobalt 263 Opinions Needed

Old 07-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobalt 263 Opinions Needed

I posted in the Cobalt specific section but got no response so thought I'd try here for better luck.

I found a decent 2001 Cobalt 263 for sale and I am looking for some thoughts on the boat...good & bad PLEASE!! It's got the 8.1 Volvo 420hp w/ duo prop outdrive which was the max hp that year. The boat also has the fixed arch & sun shade. Good looking rig. The bow rider version is the 262. My hesitation is that I had a 22 Pachanga a couple years ago and the boat didn't fit my families needs. Cuddy was hard to access, only rode well in flat water, and cockpit was cramped. My hope is that bumping up to a 26' with 22 degree deadrise will help the ride, space, etc....

The boat should cruise around 35 mph and top out in the 50's which is fine for me. I'm looking for something that will be family friendly (wife, 3yr old, 1 yr old), do well in the ocean where there is typically some chop and rollers that come in when the tides change, and can be trailered to the big lakes.

For those of you with young kids, is having the little cuddy useful? My thought is that the kids can get out of the sun and takes naps, extending the time we'd use the boat but I don't know how realistic this is. Also, any input on the engine/drive set up is welcomed. My IO experience is limited to OMC Cobra (disaster) and Merc (no issues).

Thanks for the help. It is a big purchase for me and trying get as much info as possible.

-Jags

Last edited by tjags; 07-30-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a chaparral 256 bowrider now I used to have a closed bow donzi z22, but with the kids and then there friends a bowrider is a much better choice. It cerrtainly helps distubute them around on the boat and makes it feel bigger. Good Luck.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't specifically comment on the 263- but I can comment on Cobalt -- We have a 226 with 7.4 mpi Bravo III. Cobalt IMO is one of the finest factory boat builder on the planet. Most of the components that are used and not "cheap" by any sense. All hardware is backed with aluminum plates, the hull is a combination of fiberglass and Kevlar. For us the most important feature was the lack of wood anywhere - the transom, floor, stringers etc., are all composite - therefore nothing can rot. Within the interior the finish and attention to detail are exceptional- our boat is 14 years old and there isn't one piece of loose hardware. Doors still close and the "metal" looks like it came out of the box. Another item that we really enjoy is the ability to hose the entire interior down and have it drain the in bilge and them pump it out.

The ride is exceptional - I don't know all the specifics of hull design but the extended running surface is really positive for the slow plane speeds - it slices thru the waves - our daughter said during the first ride "dad it's like floating on a cloud".

Now the down side - most if not all of the Cobalt parts are very expensive - I priced a couple of items such as Terrycloth seat covers --- These were over $100-- for a seat cover? that's way to much. Dealers know they have a good product and will exploit the Cobalt name.

Sounds a commercial for Cobalt - but I'm being 100% honest.

3pointstar
Old 07-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review. Cobalt does have a great reputation and the no-wood construction is attractive. My biggest dilemma is how much use I'd get out of the cuddy. My thought is that the kids could nap, change, and play in there which would extend out boating time. My fear is that the cuddy doesn't get used.

With toddler aged kids, is it unrealistic to think we can spend a 1/2 day on the water? For those who have/have had kids...what did you do or wish you had done to extend the boating day?

thx
Old 07-29-2014, 03:04 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The Cobalt 262 BR was at one time their best seller and still a lot of people looking for a used one. I understand the 263 is a Cuddy cabin same hull bottom. They are very good quality for a production boat. They are fairly good in rough water but I am talking about under 4 footers here. The Volvo SX and or duoprop (DP) outdrive has a lot less problems in the rec use field than the Merc side. The impellers on the Volvo side are somewhat weak, it best to change them out every year before you get rolling. I own a couple of older Cobalts and they were really good quality back then as well. I am very familiar with their brand especially 27 ft and down. Most Cobalts come with a Volvo engine & drive package.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Our son was 6months when we bought our 33 Cig and 4 when we sold it. Never thought we'd use the cuddy much but turns out it was perfect. Afternoon naps in the cuddy were a standard. Open the hatches for a breeze and let the slow movement of the water do the rest. The 262/263 has been a very popular hull and with Cobalts you get a larger cockpit area up top than most other manufacturers. The curved top entry door to the cabin helps with access. The quality, fit and finish go without saying.

We love our 293 and can't seem to find a plausible replacement, unless it's a 323.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

what do you do with a cuddy? sand toys, rafts, towels, beach chairs, life jackets, PORTA POTTY. (I am assuming you have a woman if family is too big for a 22). great giant closet for all the extra stuff. and you can pass out in if you overdo it. and all the stuff up front helps it plane out. and unless you want max performance Cobalt is about the best built boat out there. which means it'll hold it's value better than most others.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 07-29-2014 at 05:59 PM.