Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Our New Twin 650HP Big Block Running Strong!! >

Our New Twin 650HP Big Block Running Strong!!

Notices

Our New Twin 650HP Big Block Running Strong!!

Old 09-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by excalibur82
Was that a radar speed on the test report or from the regular speedo it came with ? Cause no way it was doing 71 with 23 mirages
Agree the cruise speed is also quite high at 56 @ 4k. Would be more like 50. (HILL) is listed next to 23 prop, labbed and up pitched by Bronson Hill? Thought I read some past post with someone named Hill who labbed props.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's very cool the RFIII spent so much time helping him out.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

What ever happened with this? And hows the engines running?
Old 10-26-2014, 01:28 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boat was obviously stamped in error by fountain in 1989. Performance report shows HIN as a 99 but all dates and equipment verify it is an 89.
Patrick when called, runs HIN and tells him it is a 1999 based on the last two numbers as anyone would. Then tells him it has 454s and bravo drives with 89 serial numbers not even thinking twice about it, cuz why should he? He is just reading off the info for the HIN number on record and is thinking about what he is going to do for lunch. I could easily see this happening........it's not his boat so why would he question anything.
As far as title and registration goes, no one has committed fraud if they didn't have documentation showing anything other than a 99 which the HIN number verifies. I am sure there is more than one person like the OP who just saw the boat, fell in love, and didn't know any better that it wasn't a 1999.

Now the unanswered questions still are..
Did fountain always scribe HIN numbers or did they stamp them on some? Reggie Jr says they were always scribed, but others say they have similar year boats that are stamped.
When JOA sold the boat what did they sell it as? Surely not a 99? It could have been sold as a 1989 to a titled or non titled state. Then at some point after 1999 the boat changed owners, new owner goes to DMV to title or register the boat and the high IQ government worker looks at the paperwork and says " this is a 1999 not a 1989, look at the HIN#" . New owner says " uh i don't know.....ok" and there you have it!
OR........
At some point after 1999 the owner at the time looks at HIN and says " aha, I can change my paperwork because the HIN supports a 1999 boat! cha-ching!!
Either way, it will be next to impossible to prove either one of these scenarios, with or without legal counsel.

Enjoy your boat, it sucks that it is 10 years older than he thought, but it could be worse........... could've been stolen and confiscated by the police and then he is out $45K and boat, and is fighting for who knows how long to TRY and get his money back.

Just my .02 after reading the entire thread for an hour and a half!

Last edited by Carbon Footprint; 10-26-2014 at 01:30 AM. Reason: mis typed