Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Opinions needed... adding aluminum swim platform. >

Opinions needed... adding aluminum swim platform.

Notices

Opinions needed... adding aluminum swim platform.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions needed... adding aluminum swim platform.

Think its worth adding an aluminum swim platform to my Powerplay? The wife is sick and tire of climbing in and out of our boat with what we have now, but loves the boat. I know for a fact that we will own the boat for another 3-4 years knowing we just purchased a house on inland lake that the boat itself is perfect for... about a 800 acre lake. I got quoted 800 bucks for one that looks like the one in the picture... which in all isn't too much money considering we just put a 475hp motor in it and a bunch of other work. But still... its a 19ft boat and its a 89'. Would like to here opinions... good or bad. I feel like it would give the boat a much more updated look.

Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-04-2014, 10:53 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

looks like you could add a ladder to what you have
Old 08-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The single platform looks great, but I'd have twin platforms fabbed up to match the mounts for the current ones, unless they can do a single with 4 uprights. I'm just not a fan of any new holes in a transom. It doesn't look like you'll be able to use the stock tow eye without damaging the powdercoat, but I'm guessing the platform will have one. One thing is for sure, round aluminum is not as sharp as the stainless exhaust tips when servicing the drive or getting in the water. I have 3 small scars on my head and one on my foot from my XLT, and I only owned it one season.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

There are a number of good swim ladders out there, this one worked well on our Nordic:
http://www.aquaperformance.com/ourproducts.html

Agree with the look though, going with the new style platform would look great and update your boat.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a ladder and a grab handle would help out a lot.

How far is what you have now out of the water ?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Is this what you are thinking about? If yes, they are about $400 each and that doesn't include the Aqua Perf. Swim step/ladder, that is another ~$260.
Dean
Attached Thumbnails Opinions needed... adding aluminum swim platform.-2004-talon-25-swim-platform-aqua-perf.-ladder-installed-7-18-14.jpg   Opinions needed... adding aluminum swim platform.-32-max-prop-7-13-14.jpg  

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 08-04-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the responses! I know I could do the cheap route and just add a ladder... but the teak wood is getting really old/brittle and starting to fall apart. Probably going to be the last year and some kind of replacement will have to be done no matter what. I guess I like the idea of aluminum big platform just for the extra added space also. Like mentioned above... I hate adding new holes to my transom... and having to fill in all the extra holes form the other brackets. The gel is not faded but it will be tricky to match and I really do not want a bunch of screw heads all over the damn transom so Ill probably take it to a professional to have that sorted out.

I guess I was mostly concerned about if its worth spending more money on the boat since its a 89'. Motor is one thing... I can always pull it and drop it in my next boat... but the this would be a custom thing that would on fit on this boat. But 800 bucks seems like it would be worth and it would probably help at the resell considering people like those big platforms. If I do the platform Ill defiantly do that ladder though!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisf695
Thanks for all the responses! I know I could do the cheap route and just add a ladder... but the teak wood is getting really old/brittle and starting to fall apart. Probably going to be the last year and some kind of replacement will have to be done no matter what. I guess I like the idea of aluminum big platform just for the extra added space also. Like mentioned above... I hate adding new holes to my transom... and having to fill in all the extra holes form the other brackets. The gel is not faded but it will be tricky to match and I really do not want a bunch of screw heads all over the damn transom so Ill probably take it to a professional to have that sorted out.

I guess I was mostly concerned about if its worth spending more money on the boat since its a 89'. Motor is one thing... I can always pull it and drop it in my next boat... but the this would be a custom thing that would on fit on this boat. But 800 bucks seems like it would be worth and it would probably help at the resell considering people like those big platforms. If I do the platform Ill defiantly do that ladder though!
If you go the route of a new platform, make sure of the color they will be using to powder coat at that price. I was going to have on made for my Velocity and was quoted about the same price. I was going to have it done in a silver. But then found out the manufacture was going to use a single stage for the powder which would have been a very dull look. If you are gong to go with a simple non-metallic) white, red, black, blue, etc the single stage powder coat will be fine (and will be glossy). However if you want a metallic look, then it needs to have a clear powder to look right, otherwise it will be a dull finish and susceptible to scuffing. IF/When you get closer to having it done, have the company send you a sample chart of his powder colors so you can see the colors in person. Looking at your boat, you will probably not need a metallic color anyway. Either non-metallic White or a medium-dark grey would look good.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
If you go the route of a new platform, make sure of the color they will be using to powder coat at that price. I was going to have on made for my Velocity and was quoted about the same price. I was going to have it done in a silver. But then found out the manufacture was going to use a single stage for the powder which would have been a very dull look. If you are gong to go with a simple non-metallic) white, red, black, blue, etc the single stage powder coat will be fine (and will be glossy). However if you want a metallic look, then it needs to have a clear powder to look right, otherwise it will be a dull finish and susceptible to scuffing. IF/When you get closer to having it done, have the company send you a sample chart of his powder colors so you can see the colors in person. Looking at your boat, you will probably not need a metallic color anyway. Either non-metallic White or a medium-dark grey would look good.
Thanks for the heads up on that! I had my windshield powder coated last year and I made the big mistake not getting a sample of the white. Now my windshield frame is bright white and doesn't match my gel. Looks stupid in my eyes... but no one else notices it.... until i bring it up to them and then i get "oooohhh yeah, that doesn't match".
Old 08-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I say go for it. If it will make you and the wife happy and you are going to keep the boat for another 3-5 years, you should do it. As said before make sure you get it powder coated right (if you match the windscreen or gel it will work!) and have a professional install it. Even if you spend $1000-1500, it will update the look of the boat and it will probably enhance the value of the boat. Since the teak is shot and needs to be replaced, that would be a few hundred $ done right and honestly, it really dates the boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.