Notices

LSC Crash

Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by rfgonzo
I will agree with most of what you said but boating and drinking go hand-in-hand the only problem is the driver and operator of a vessel should not be intoxicated what so ever. MADD would stop all open intoxicants inside of a vessel just like they do in cars. Boating is a stress reliever for a lot of people if I take A group of people out I would like them to enjoy themselves as long as I'm sober I don't care if my passengers are puking over the side my job is to make sure I get them there and back in one piece.
I'll pass on the drunken passenger idea......My buddy did that, brand new Top Gun, drunk guy never put the fuel cap back on so it dangled by the chain for 100 miles of open ocean running.......repaint time, had a 1/2 moon shaped scrape about 3 inches wide all around the gas filler.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

May have been a poor time for it though...my bad.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

With all that damage to the cruiser how in the Hell did the Baja stay in one piece and still be floating? Also none of the pictures I have seen shows any damage to the cruiser just that it Scheared in half? This is unlike any other boat accident I've ever seen. Prayers sent to all family members.
The flybridge was probably bolted on and it was old heavy glass so it wouldn't have taken much impact to break it loose. I suspect it got poked by the bow of the Baja and the Baja settled back into the water......not a James Bond blow through type crash.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truely tragic. Obviously horrible judgement on the Baja owner. We can speculate on how drunk he was and what his decisions were on driving the boat. That doesn't matter. One thing we can all agree on is there is no reason to be at a speed great enough to clear a 29' boat free of the water close enough that it will take out the top deck of a much larger cruizer.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Registered

From what I understand, the Baja driver is set to be arraigned today; they are waiting on BAC test results.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I'll pass on the drunken passenger idea......My buddy did that, brand new Top Gun, drunk guy never put the fuel cap back on so it dangled by the chain for 100 miles of open ocean running.......repaint time, had a 1/2 moon shaped scrape about 3 inches wide all around the gas filler.
Your buddy should have double checked.

I let my buddies get sh*t housed on my boat and at times I get housed and one of them stays sober and drives the boat. Either way it's my boat and my responsibility to check on things......that drunk friend could just as easy be the dock hand and and a stranger.....no reason you shouldn't double check things. Not everyone on the boat is a pro or an owner so don't take the chance.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 08-05-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why, if drinking is the prime directive, don't the so inclined go on some type of party boat with a professional captain? Or just go to a dockside bar and watch the boats? There you go, get as fkd up as you please. Poker run this year pretty girl puking all over the new center console she was in. What fun is that for her the "passenger", or the slightly less inebriated driver/boyfriend? Its time for us to get out of the group-think that boating equals booze in a mobile floating bar. Too many deaths.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Registered

I'm sorry, but you are wrong my friend, there is no breaks for this guy drunk or sober we have a responsibility as go fast boaters to do the right thing it's not all about going fast, there's times when you need to throttle back. Nobody cut in front of him as far as I know it was pure reckless driving and that brings A bad name to all of us that try to boat responsibly. I myself have made bad judgment mistakes on the water, as I think everyone has but I learn from that and continue on. Of course he didn't have the intention of hurting someone but the fact of the matter is he did. Now he must pay for his consequences and I think he should relive that memory day after day because innocent people are dead. In my younger days I would drive back to the docks Half in the bag every time I got there I would thank God we made it back alive full well knowing I made a ton of mistakes, as I get older I realize it's not worth it. Enjoy your day have fun relax and head back safely.
I hate to read about events like this, but unfortunately they are good reminders that we do our very best at keeping everyone around us safe.

I don't think kevinb230 was saying give this guy a pass or it's okay to drink and boat. The point I took away is that we all wake up in the mornings not intending for something like this to happen, and in a split second lives could be changed for ever. This is a scary reminder how dangerous the world we live in can be.

There are a lot of assumptions on this crash, and right now I haven't read if in fact the driver was drunk. For all we know there was a steering or drive malfunction, maybe an engine shutdown at the worst possible moment. This also could of been his very first boat and he may of had no idea what he was doing, never mind knowing how to conduct himself in dangerous water. 45-50MPH as I read it, doesn't sound all that "out of control" for twin engine boats of this size and up in rough water.

While it is very easy for the public to point their fingers at our loud boats and say we're all out of control when tragic accidents like this happen. But until we have all the facts, and not rumors and hearsay we shouldn't cry, lock him up and throw the keys away. Remember, it's not; guilty until proven innocent.

My guess, unless this driver has no sole, he'll be reliving this event for the rest of his life, drunk or not, locked up or not.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
Why, if drinking is the prime directive, don't the so inclined go on some type of party boat with a professional captain? Or just go to a dockside bar and watch the boats? There you go, get as fkd up as you please. Poker run this year pretty girl puking all over the new center console she was in. What fun is that for her the "passenger", or the slightly less inebriated driver/boyfriend? Its time for us to get out of the group-think that boating equals booze in a mobile floating bar. Too many deaths.

That's your thoughts and you are entitled to them.....that said if that was how we all felt why ever buy a boat all. Just buy rides to pre determined spots that you prob don't want to go to with tons of people byou don't know.

I for one see zero prob with boating and people having drinks. As long as someone is responsible and does not drink that plans on operating the boat and also knows how to operate the boat.

I for one have never had anyone puke on my boat. If they did....oh well....it happens. Some water, 409, and a good scrub and we are back in biz.

If you don't care to drink then that's fine and all respect to you. But don't tell others how we should boat if we actually plan it to have a safe and sober operator.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
That's your thoughts and you are entitled to them.....that said if that was how we all felt why ever buy a boat all. Just buy rides to pre determined spots that you prob don't want to go to with tons of people byou don't know.

I for one see zero prob with boating and people having drinks. As long as someone is responsible and does not drink that plans on operating the boat and also knows how to operate the boat.

I for one have never had anyone puke on my boat. If they did....oh well....it happens. Some water, 409, and a good scrub and we are back in biz.

If you don't care to drink then that's fine and all respect to you. But don't tell others how we should boat if we actually plan it to have a safe and sober operator.
You read me wrong. No one is talking about making boating and boozing illegal. Just driving while impaired or under the influence. And the anecdotes above show drunk passengers are not totally benign. Other threads on here report drownings of drunk passengers. It's dissappointing you and others might not have gotten into boating if it wasn't connected with boozing. I repeat:

"It's time for us to get out of the group-think that boating equals booze in a mobile floating bar. Too many deaths."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.