Notices

Auto Bilge Pumps

Old 08-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Bilge Pumps

Trying to figure out if my auto bilge pump is bad. The boat has terrible engine access, I can't see the pump, but I can see where the discharge hose goes into the bilge water, so I think there is enough water to justify a pump trip. When I turn on the switch, nothing happens other than the switch indicator turns on. What I don't understand with the auto pump (built in float) is does the float have to trip to get the pump to run, even when I select manual on? It seems to me like that is should run any time I turn the switch on?
Old 08-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Registered

Mine runs with either the built in float, or when I manually activate the switch. The indicator light is on whenever the pump is running, as it should be.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:46 PM
Registered

Thats what I figured, which means mines not working. Going to a PITA getting that thing out
Old 08-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Sometime they stick when they haven't been used. I realize that it will be tough to get to, but if possible, try to take the pump out and give it a spin. If it's hard to spin initially, that may be the problem. You may be able to free it up without changing it.
Eddie
Old 08-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

The first thing I'd do in your case is blast the bilge pump and surrounding area with a hose. Use hot water if you can. This will generally loosen up any crud that may have gathered around the pump and float switch. If that doesn't work, then try back-flushing the pump through the outlet on the side of the boat. If that doesn't work, the pump has to come out. Is it a "cartridge style" pump by chance? (They generally have a set of "ears" on the top that allows you to remove the guts of the pump pretty easily, then replace them with a new set.)
Old 08-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not an expert-- could you squirt water into the outlet hose and maybe the pressure will free up the pump impeller???? just a thought before you crazy trying to get at it.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
The first thing I'd do in your case is blast the bilge pump and surrounding area with a hose. Use hot water if you can. This will generally loosen up any crud that may have gathered around the pump and float switch. If that doesn't work, then try back-flushing the pump through the outlet on the side of the boat. If that doesn't work, the pump has to come out. Is it a "cartridge style" pump by chance? (They generally have a set of "ears" on the top that allows you to remove the guts of the pump pretty easily, then replace them with a new set.)
Already tried back flushing. I will try and squirt the hose down in the bilge but I cant see it. Only reason i know its there is because it used to work!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

put another one at the front of the engine where it can be dealt with when you have a problem. run new discharge tube to the same thru hull exit. you need a new pump anyway. you can't trust your boat to a fixed-up freed-up POS that you can't get to. ignore old pump till engine comes out or exhaust off or something.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
put another one at the front of the engine where it can be dealt with when you have a problem. run new discharge tube to the same thru hull exit. you need a new pump anyway. you can't trust your boat to a fixed-up freed-up POS that you can't get to. ignore old pump till engine comes out or exhaust off or something.
Yes thats the plan. Not going to kill myself to get the old one out. Just like to find the harness