Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Power Stroke or Duramax (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31640-power-stroke-duramax.html)

Dono 08-25-2002 11:55 PM

Audio,
I'm a bit confused. why would you take a truck with a 100k warrenty to a tranny shop? I read of one having a pblm and gm promptly replaced it with a new one so the could send it back to allison for research. Not trying to start a truck war it just seems like fuzzy math to me. :rolleyes:

h2owarrior 08-25-2002 11:56 PM

baja bailey, are you retired from Ford ? Or do you have a brother sister mother father that is retired ? Just curious.

With your H2X (looked at your profile) either motor will blow your mind when compared to a gas motor. When people talk about walking another truck make sure you know all the facts about the trucks being compared. Axle ratios and "computer" modifications can make a significant difference in towing capability of any truck. With the weight you are talking about, you can easily get by with a 3:73 rather than a 4:10. This will help with highway speeds and fuel economy. You do not need to go with the 4:10 ratio until you get in the 9,000 - 10,000 lbs range.

The Duramax is built in the US. It is an Isuzu design and uses a Bosch fuel system.

The PowerStroke is built in the US, is designed and built by Navistar and uses a Caterpillar fuel system.

Another point to think about is the Powerstroke is actually a Navistar T444E. These engines are capable of substantialy higher power and torque and are limited in light duty truck applications. Next time you see a class 6 International truck look for the T444E on the side, its the same engine you'll find in the Ford.

Based on my experience to date, the Duramax is only used in light duty trucks. GM puts Cat diesels in their class 6 trucks. Would be interested if anyone has any other info. on this.

Again, not supporting one or the other, just passing on information.:cool:

Audiofn 08-26-2002 12:04 AM

Dono her rebuilds for 6 dealers in the area. Just relaying his experiences to me. He said that they should all (Ford included) be assamed of their transmisions. He said that the best fix for the Fords is to replace the Torque converter as soon as you can. Then he has never seen one fail. HOWEVER if you waite to long then the TQ spits crap all over the inside of the transmision and you are screwed.

Jon

Dono 08-26-2002 12:07 AM

again not to stir the pot but izuzu has been making diesels engines in big trucks for over 20 years. Allison has also been around a long time putting trannys in busses to fire trucks and everything in between.
I know it looks like im a gm salesman or something but i'm not and could care less what truck you prefer. I'm just trying to give you some insight. I spent several months researching trucks and driving them and i admit i too was skeptical of the newness of the dmax. People were saying you could'nt add bigger tires because the allison would have shifting pblms. I put a 6" lift and 35's on mine the day i bought it. Did i mention i love this truck. :D :D

Dono 08-26-2002 12:13 AM

Audio,
I had heard that they were just replacing them so allison could research what failed. Guess ya learn something new each day here on oso.:D I hope my truck last a long trouble free time cause i sure love it. :D Hey by the way where are the pics of the boat. She's looking good so far. good luck with the labor day launch.

Playn 08-26-2002 12:16 AM

Personally I think that all the diesels are capable of a lot more power than any of the trannys can handle. I think (without info to back this up) that the trannys are lightened up a bit in the interest of weight and cost savings and they are the weak link with any of the manufactures. Because of this all the engines are tuned down as far as their power output compaired to what they are capable of. (IMHO)

Audiofn 08-26-2002 12:21 AM

Ya Dono I was suprised when he said he was doing the warrantee rebuilds as well. I figured that they would all go back to their respective builders. As far as research goes to be honest I think that they all know they are making tranny's that are all overloaded with the HP of the new engines but they figure it is a crap shoot. Those that drive them nice and easy will not likely have problems. However those that treat the truck like it should be built for towing and what not will perhaps have problems. It is sad that if they spent just a little more on the transmisions then they would own the industry. Like if Ford Built a killer tranny.

The boat is coming along. I have not had pictures as the sanding and guide coats do not show much. Soon, maybe tomarrow we will have something to see :D:D

Jon

Dono 08-26-2002 12:24 AM

I agree , you can put a chip in the dmax that will get almost 400hp and 640 torque. Theres a guy with this set up plus running propane :D He's in the 14's quarter mile with a dually.:cool: The interesting thing with the allison is that it's computer controlled so it shuts down if you do something thats gonna make it break.

h2owarrior 08-26-2002 12:25 AM

I am not sure that is exactly correct. I don't think Isuzu makes big trucks or big diesels for anyone elses trucks. I think they compete with company's like Perkins on the smaller end of the over the road diesel engine market. I'm pretty sure the Duramax is at the large end of the engines Isuzu has designed / produced. :)

baja bailey 08-26-2002 12:29 AM

H2OWARRIOR
No I have no family retired from Ford, the company I work for has this set up for us. I am sure the weight I am pulling now with my H2X is not gonna give a diesel much of a workout at all. I am gonna get a bigger boat someday though, I already have that go bigger bug.:p :p

DONO

I know I can get quite a bit off the sticker of a Chevy with the D-Max, but even with the best deal I have negotiated with Chevy dealers, the plan I can use through Ford is still 5K or 6K less! I own a detail shop also, and am aware that the retail sticker don't mean s**t...I deal with alot of wholesale and retail lots around here, so I am aware of the price games they play...I will most likely still test drive a D-Max, I am not partial to either brand, as I have owned several of both, just never a diesel engine...