Notices

Power Stroke or Duramax

Old 08-26-2002, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read the post about pulling a 40 ft. baja. The guy has had ALOT of problems with his Duramax. I love my Cummins
Old 08-26-2002, 10:35 PM
Registered

Originally posted by OkieTunnel
Read the post about pulling a 40 ft. baja. The guy has had ALOT of problems with his Duramax. I love my Cummins
I think you misread that post.
Dan
Old 08-26-2002, 11:23 PM
Registered

I think you are right Dan! My mistake. He said Vortech! Oh well, I still love my Cummins
Old 08-26-2002, 11:28 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PSD
Attached Thumbnails Power Stroke or Duramax-fuel-stop3.jpg  
Old 08-26-2002, 11:30 PM
Registered

OkieTunnel,
Wait till that new Cummins hits the street. That thing is going to be Nasty!
Dan
Old 08-27-2002, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI---
When I was in Missourri last month, a very (seemed to be) knowlegeable Ford salesman told me that in 2004 Ford is coming out with a new straight 6 cyl. diesel that has more power than the current Powerstroke!! It also has tested over 40MPG!!!! I'm sure when the real deal gets to us it will be a little less, but those are some impressive stats!

I honestly think that the Ford, Chevy/Gmc or Dodge trucks are all good trucks, they all have their strong points--and weak points. I must say that I have a Ford PSD and absolutely love it. It is definately the truck for me! Nobody in the WORLD can even come close to building a tough truck or performance boat than the USA!!
Old 08-27-2002, 06:02 AM
DEVIL MAN

If you really want the best all round vehicle for towing a mid to large size boat....the only way to go is with the GMC Yukon XL!!!!!! With the 8100 GAS engine!!!!!

First of all, you get the ride of a Cadillac along with the creature comforts and the luxury of putting a wife and five kids in the back two bench seats, plus room for storage!!!! With no NOISE!!!!

Now, here is what you guys want....I pull my Cig Top Gun with the monster engines and drives and a full load of fuel with a 3500 pound trailer......just around 15 to 16,000 pounds....that is right boys....15 to 16 K....maybe a little more...who knows???? I pull the rig out to Mead and Havasu.....you guys need to experience the Baker grade in the middle of the day.....20 straight miles up hill through the Death Valley in the middle of the day in the middle of the summer....air conditioner blasting away with Led Zeplin blasting out "Houses of the Holy!"

I smoke everything on the road....we caravan with the Scope group...usually 15 to 20 rigs all in line together....No contest boys!!!! 25,000 miles and not one single problem....we are talking mountains boys, not hills!!!! 120 degrees...in the shade!!!!! If the Ford diesels lose their momentum, they are toast...done....finished...end of story. We are all towing 38 or 35 footers, nobody has any where near as much weight as I do and I just smoke them!!! If we have to slow up, no problem, just pump it back up to speed while the Ford boys are in a panic on the grades!!!!! Gas baby...gas!!!!!

I will admit....the only truck I could not chase down was Corky Rice pulling his Top Gun with that freaking Duramax with the Allison's.....that mother moves!!!!

DMan and the D is for if it has to be Diesel, go Duramax!!!

Old 08-27-2002, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I humbly disagree......

2001 F250 Crew PSD 4X4 long bed, lariat
2002 GMC Yukon SLT

And the winners are..

luxury.......tie
Ride.........Ford (firmer won)
Power......Ford
Towing capacity....not even a contest (Ford)
Room.......(GMC) cause it has the third seat
Storage...Ford

disclaimer...all of this by the way is ONLY my humble opinion Your results may vary
Attached Thumbnails Power Stroke or Duramax-mvc-010ssmall.jpg  
Old 08-27-2002, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I really doubt it. Is your truck stock??

Originally posted by DEVIL MAN
If you really want the best all round vehicle for towing a mid to large size boat....the only way to go is with the GMC Yukon XL!!!!!! With the 8100 GAS engine!!!!!

First of all, you get the ride of a Cadillac along with the creature comforts and the luxury of putting a wife and five kids in the back two bench seats, plus room for storage!!!! With no NOISE!!!!

Now, here is what you guys want....I pull my Cig Top Gun with the monster engines and drives and a full load of fuel with a 3500 pound trailer......just around 15 to 16,000 pounds....that is right boys....15 to 16 K....maybe a little more...who knows???? I pull the rig out to Mead and Havasu.....you guys need to experience the Baker grade in the middle of the day.....20 straight miles up hill through the Death Valley in the middle of the day in the middle of the summer....air conditioner blasting away with Led Zeplin blasting out "Houses of the Holy!"

I smoke everything on the road....we caravan with the Scope group...usually 15 to 20 rigs all in line together....No contest boys!!!! 25,000 miles and not one single problem....we are talking mountains boys, not hills!!!! 120 degrees...in the shade!!!!! If the Ford diesels lose their momentum, they are toast...done....finished...end of story. We are all towing 38 or 35 footers, nobody has any where near as much weight as I do and I just smoke them!!! If we have to slow up, no problem, just pump it back up to speed while the Ford boys are in a panic on the grades!!!!! Gas baby...gas!!!!!

I will admit....the only truck I could not chase down was Corky Rice pulling his Top Gun with that freaking Duramax with the Allison's.....that mother moves!!!!

DMan and the D is for if it has to be Diesel, go Duramax!!!
I REALLY DOUBT IT!!!!!!!!!! Say what you will DMan, but I have never seen a stock gas truck come even close to out pulling a diesel, ESPECIALLY WITH A HEAVY LOAD. What is your MPG during all this towing-- 6-8MPG I bet. The PSD will get about 12-15MPG under same conditions. There is a reason all the big rigs on the road are diesel, don't you think??
Old 08-27-2002, 10:21 AM
Registered

Guys, I don't want to get into the ford/chevy thing but I have both the the quality and size of the ford is much better. Now, as for towing let the games begin. Both will tow very well but the chevy has more power in a stock configuration and does better. Stock! However, I purchased a programmer from Superchips for $385.00. It plugs into the data port under the steering wheel and take about 5 mintues to load. At any time the factory original program can be reinstalled and no ones anything has ever been done. I installed the smaller of the two programs which added 115 LBS/FT of torque and 60HP. I installed and EGT(exhaust gas temp) guage to check safety levels. What a differance. This thing drives like a gas engine...unreal throttle response.

Now back to towing. I just pulled my boat 3600 miles from Atlanta and into new england and back. I was towing 11,800 LBS according to the truck scales in NC. The truck did better than I ever thought possible. I set the cruise control at 78MPH and that's it. I drove with a street plotter GPS unit and the speed only dropped 1 MPH at a hill and would regain that 1MPH as the truck continued up. EGT never went above 1,050/1,100 degree(Limit is 1,250) trans and eng temps never increase and it was 103 in DC. And here's the topper...2MPG better. The trans dropped out of OD 6 times in 3600 miles and each time the truck gained speed and went back into OD.

I know everyone has a ford/chevy story to tell but I say this. If you have trouble towing with this set up, you're towing something you shouldn't be towing with a pickup truck.

Gig

Quick Reply: Power Stroke or Duramax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.