Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Power Stroke or Duramax (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31640-power-stroke-duramax.html)

Rickoffshore 08-27-2002 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been hauling race boats around for 20 yrs., and I have driven them all from Ford F-350's to Top Kicks w/ cats, and none can tow around my 15,000 lb. race rig as effortless as my Duramax Dually w/Allison. I can tow @ 90mph with ease. I went to Lake-X with a 37 Active Thunder with my truck and it was like it wasn't there,(ask Tim from Thunder). The next week I returned to the lake with another 37 Active Thunder which was a lighter boat(race boat with no a/c, cabin, or genny) and it was with a 2002 F-350 with modifications(60hp box), and it was like day and night, power, ride, fuel economy, quietness, etc. cannot compare. It doesn't take much to see the difference, especially if your on the road as much as me. Ford guys will be Ford guys etc., and the only thing I can tell you is Ford is coming out with a new deal to try to get back on the same page for a reason. Plus if your a speed junkie like myself, you can take your duramax and with a 90 hp box w/250 ft. lbs., K+N air filter, and in 4 wheel drive (can't come out in 2 wheel, just lights them up) ran a 60ft. time of 2.0 sec. and turned a 14.9 @ 91mph, and thats with 6 wheels, imagine with 4! P.S.- I sell the boxes for Fords, GM's, and Dodge diesels.

SeaDated 08-27-2002 10:43 AM

Rickoffshore

It's like I said, everyone has a story. The point is, if you are having trouble towing with this set up, you're towing something you shouldn't be towing with a pickup truck. Somewhere safety for those around us needs to come into play. ( there's more than pulling. Things like stopping, turning-possibly at speed, and hitches/balls etc)

Gig

Playn 08-27-2002 11:05 AM

This post is taking an interesting turn. When did this towing thing turn into a race? I don't know where you are towing heavy loads (15,000-19,000 lbs) at 90-100mph WTF, you guys don't have police in your areas?

:rolleyes:

I'm talking real world, stock, off the lot real world trucks. I'll continue to pull construction equipment down the road at 65-70mph effortlessly. If your towing at 100mph with ANY load expect me to pass your crumpled up rig in the ditch ;)

Rickoffshore 08-27-2002 11:32 AM

Playn, who is talking about racing with a load? They won't let me race at Moroso with my Jaguar in tow! LOL! As far as where you can tow @ 90 mph apparently you don't haul across country or you would realize there are many places that you can carry that speed, if your truck can do it. Rick

SeaDated 08-27-2002 11:38 AM

Playn

In a nut shell...the truck with the most HP and TORQUE will tow the most load at any speeds. Period. With that said it's just a matter of quality, style, size, resale. As for the cops...they're in the dounut store.:D

Playn 08-27-2002 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Rickoffshore
Playn, who is talking about racing with a load? They won't let me race at Moroso with my Jaguar in tow! LOL! As far as where you can tow @ 90 mph apparently you don't haul across country or you would realize there are many places that you can carry that speed, if your truck can do it. Rick
Will the truck pull a heavy load that fast?..probably

Is it smart to do so without putting people at risk..NO!

Rickoffshore 08-27-2002 11:48 AM

Your right Playn, I never said it was safe or a good idea, I just said it could be done. Rick

Jassman 08-27-2002 01:54 PM

Thanks Rick for your help, the Edge box was everything and more than you explained, thanks, talk to you later.:D

Wild Horses 08-27-2002 01:58 PM

My 2001 Dmax ext. cab dually does not even break a sweat towing 12000#. I have to go easy to not spin the tires off of the line and if I get into it at a light, it leaves regular traffic in the dust towing the F311. We have 30k of trouble free problems to date.

It had one fuel leak one week after taking delivery. We change all the oils as to the set schedule ourselves. This thing has never been in the shop, (well it has been in the body shop - people - quit running into it and dropping it off of hoists at the rust check dealer - please). Nor has it given us reason to take it in. Truly an awesome truck.

Trevor

DEVIL MAN 08-28-2002 03:42 PM

Semper....I never talked about fuel mileage...I have a Top Gun with twin 1,000's and use it every weekend.....fuel mileage for a car or truck is meaningless. I am also talking about stock trucks...straight from the factory!!!

Do not consider yourself a towing expert or have multiple towing experiences unless you have pulled your rig up the Baker grade in the middle of the summer time on your way to Vegas from Southern California.....there is nothing comparable!!!!! Guys, it is 20 straight miles in a straight line from the Death Valley up a mountain....you cannot find a more torturous climb in the worst conditions...period. All I can tell you is that I am in front of the pack and the big boys with the F-350 turbo diesels are in an absolute panick if they have to slow down for traffic. We all have our hand held radio's on and guys with the diesels are screaming, yelling and cussing out anyone that might cause them to lose their momentum. The guys with the fancy upgrades and the chips and all the other bs are going 45 miles per hour due to the fact their exhaust temps are in the red. I am just reporting the facts and remember, I have 11, 200 pounds dry from the factory plus 500 pounds in gear and junk and another 1500 to 2,000 pounds of fuel and another 3500 pounds for the trailer!!!!!

That is just the facts gentlemen....once you have conquered the Baker grade, then we can discuss towing!!!!! It seperates the men from the boys!!!!!

DMan