Notices

Power Stroke or Duramax

Old 08-28-2002, 03:49 PM
DEVIL MAN

Playn.....You totally messed up your disclaimer by starting off saying that the luxury and the ride was better with the Ford! After that, I can't rely on any of your opinions....sorry!!!

DMan

Old 08-28-2002, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DEVIL MAN
Playn.....You totally messed up your disclaimer by starting off saying that the luxury and the ride was better with the Ford! After that, I can't rely on any of your opinions....sorry!!!

DMan
DMan, As the owner of both vehicles I stand by my post , however, I realize that as my disclaimer states it's only my humble opinion. Your opinion, (and my wife's by the way) may differ

Happy towing
Old 08-28-2002, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a Dodge Cummins Less parts and I never had a big truck
cum apart! They also have a better warrenty on the engine.
2003 engines are to be 50+% quieter... And more HP...
Old 08-28-2002, 06:39 PM
Intolerant1

S Wildhorses pointed out, the Duramax is very nice. I rode in his, the only one Ive been in. He stepped on it a couple times and it moves. I have a 99 F250 PSD. The truck is light being a 2 wheel drive extended cab and it has the lower gear ratio for towing. I also have a Hypertech chip which is mild compared to some other chips but I couldnt live w/o. Sorry Trevor, but my PSD with the chip wil destroy your or any other stock Duramax. With the chip, the hp and tq numbers are about the same. I have to be careful when towing (about 7500 pounds) not to light the tires when leaving a red light. For the money difference, I would buy the Ford, throw in a chip which will also help your trans, and be done with it.

Your also forgetting the best part of driving a diesel...smoking out tail gaters. A little brake and alot of accelerator produces a nice cloud that is garaunteed to back anyone, especially convertibles, off your bumper

Old 08-29-2002, 12:10 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by DEVIL MAN
Semper....I never talked about fuel mileage...I have a Top Gun with twin 1,000's and use it every weekend.....fuel mileage for a car or truck is meaningless. I am also talking about stock trucks...straight from the factory!!!

Do not consider yourself a towing expert or have multiple towing experiences unless you have pulled your rig up the Baker grade in the middle of the summer time on your way to Vegas from Southern California.....there is nothing comparable!!!!! Guys, it is 20 straight miles in a straight line from the Death Valley up a mountain....you cannot find a more torturous climb in the worst conditions...period. All I can tell you is that I am in front of the pack and the big boys with the F-350 turbo diesels are in an absolute panick if they have to slow down for traffic. We all have our hand held radio's on and guys with the diesels are screaming, yelling and cussing out anyone that might cause them to lose their momentum. The guys with the fancy upgrades and the chips and all the other bs are going 45 miles per hour due to the fact their exhaust temps are in the red. I am just reporting the facts and remember, I have 11, 200 pounds dry from the factory plus 500 pounds in gear and junk and another 1500 to 2,000 pounds of fuel and another 3500 pounds for the trailer!!!!!

That is just the facts gentlemen....once you have conquered the Baker grade, then we can discuss towing!!!!! It seperates the men from the boys!!!!!

DMan
DMan,
Funny you should say that. I have towed about 80% of all of Dick Simon Marine's boat's for the past 3 yrs. I have been to the East Coast and back 5 times this year alone. I stopped towing ( full-time) about 3 months ago. I have alot of towing experience --- 192,000 miles (yes 192K) on my 1999 PSD can back that up. I have been on the Baker grade probably more times than all the Scope members combined! I have driven a friend's PSD (Banks Kit) over that grade with a 42' Outerlimits and it ran about 65MPH without getting in the red!!
Let's not even go there with the fuel mileage!!! That's another post!!
I have seen your boat many times, It is a sweet ride. I was at the Scope event last weekend. You would recognize me if you saw me. Email me, I wanted to talk to you about helping out with Scope next year/ possibly this year.

***I think the Scope guys let you run in the front because ... the D stands for up-in-Da-front!!

Last edited by Semper Fi; 08-29-2002 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:59 AM
Wild Horses

Originally posted by Intolerant1
S Wildhorses pointed out, the Duramax is very nice. I rode in his, the only one Ive been in. He stepped on it a couple times and it moves. I have a 99 F250 PSD. The truck is light being a 2 wheel drive extended cab and it has the lower gear ratio for towing. I also have a Hypertech chip which is mild compared to some other chips but I couldnt live w/o. Sorry Trevor, but my PSD with the chip wil destroy your or any other stock Duramax. With the chip, the hp and tq numbers are about the same. I have to be careful when towing (about 7500 pounds) not to light the tires when leaving a red light. For the money difference, I would buy the Ford, throw in a chip which will also help your trans, and be done with it.

Your also forgetting the best part of driving a diesel...smoking out tail gaters. A little brake and alot of accelerator produces a nice cloud that is garaunteed to back anyone, especially convertibles, off your bumper
Ah geeze, here ya go just breaking down the barriers between our two countries. We worked so hard at building relations. Well IT1… you might remember that my Dmax is bone stock, and we were in 90 degree heat. Not 50 degrees that you get in the north. Come to think of it, did your heap not just leave you high and dry a few months ago with a brunt out chip???? Days in the shop, walking to work ) My baby runs just fine and still get 700 km to a tank of fuel (when the wife drives at least).

What I love about this truck, it is effortless to drive. Upshifts and downshifts are all in the programming. Just last week Cathy hitched up Wild Horses and hauled it down to Toronto (50 miles) in the pouring rain, into the city (downtown) to meet me after work. What a gal. One totally reliable truck. That’s where the real value is. Now if I were to chip it where would you be now…… in the dust and not breathing my smoke… cause she’s a clean burn’ in hauling ass machine.

Old 08-29-2002, 09:06 AM
Wild Horses

Here' s old Fat Ass
Attached Thumbnails Power Stroke or Duramax-fat-ass.jpg  

Old 08-29-2002, 11:03 AM
Registered

PLAYN,
I've got several race car friends that tow there 40ft + fifth wheels at speeds I don't like driving without a trailer.

I towed a 31 Scarab across the state and if you don't at least do 80 your always stuck behind some slow ass in the right lane.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:45 AM
Registered

Default Whatever ????

You guy's are out of control and posting a bunch of very hard to believe stuff.

A Duramax tow better than a Topkick with a Cat. You must have bought the cheap version that only puts out 250hp and 500ft-lbs of torque and put tall gears in it. There is no way any Duramx could compete with a 350hp 800 ft-lb Cat.

A Yukon that can keep up with any Big Three Diesel. Whatever.

It might be true, but it is very hard to believe.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:52 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

h20warrior,

I want some of what their smokin' also!!

F250
7.3 turbo powerstroke
4x4

Quick Reply: Power Stroke or Duramax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.