Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Well they pretty much Neutered the Lake Cumberland Poker Run. >

Well they pretty much Neutered the Lake Cumberland Poker Run.

Notices

Well they pretty much Neutered the Lake Cumberland Poker Run.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Have to be 1 hell of a phone call, he passed in 2005, just sayin... I hope to make it to LC some time, maybe next year as I will be working in Lexington Ky. next spring...
It's a must visit lake, let me know I'd be happy to show you around. What kind of work are you doing in Lexington?

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Personally, I felt that the poker run was safer (on this lake anyway - and stats prove it) when the slowest boats went first and the big dogs last. Under that format (which worked without incident for the fist 10+ years)
agreed 100%
Old 08-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tman
I do not like the new format but they may get more boats to enter because the start can be a little crazy plus I know in the past it seems Sat. is a big rush to be there for the drivers meeting and run the run and still go to harmon creek it makes for a long day.
The mad dash of all the spectators going from the mouth of Harmon Creek to the party cove may have had a little (although I'm sure on a much lesser scale than the accidents in the actual run) to do with the format change too.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
I agree with the disorganization of participants vs spectators. I had thought that to myself a bit ago, as a spectator this format will ruin it because you have no idea when and where the boats will be coming from. I hadn't even thought about it from a safety perspective, but the same holds true. Hmmmmm....
others have commented on the tickfaw 200.... there was a time when it was run in one day with a not so mandatory but set time a lot of the boats would idle down the river under the bridge (photo op time) and Charlie would wave them off one at a time at the end of the idle zone if remember correctly...there were a few accidents during the day though with this type of start as well, none as tragic as what happened at cumberland thank god...after that you went to whatever stop you wanted and any order you felt like or group decided on as long as you were back by 7? it was/is right at 200 miles. it's now a 2 day event with groups having ferent departure times both days with just about any type boat and speed variations. a kick azz time to boot I can assure you!!! there are plenty of spectators all over the place both on land and on the water! that being said I can understand the change in this run making some think I wont be the same...well, it won't but I can just about bet it will be a kick azz time still!!! I hope we can make it out to this run soon!

Last edited by LAriverratt; 08-06-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by TBAG
It's a must visit lake, let me know I'd be happy to show you around. What kind of work are you doing in Lexington?

agreed 100%
I will be working on Blue Grass Station.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
I've done 100ish poker runs in the last 20 years and I like the 2 day laid back format. There was a time where WE were the ones that had to be first to the first stop, and those days are behind me. Like has been said before, the big dogs can still run with each other in this format. Most of us run around together and know each other. We also know who to run next to and who to stay away from. I think it works better all the way around and is much safer.

And for the record, I'll ride with Bill or run next to him any day of the week and twice on Sundays!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz_EnEx9m5g
Old 08-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
Yep. No one is immune. Very easy to get caught up in a "race" .
Old 08-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

What? There's a formal start, fast boats, racing? Hmmmm, all I've ever seen was a big raft up, hot chicks with teets out in a traffic jam. I think 90% of the people there are down just for that.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. Boobies and sun are the best parts of the whole deal. It will still be huge
Old 08-07-2014, 05:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been attending the lcpr for the last 14 years. And would hate to see a format change become the death of one of the best poker runs in the country. I agree the format of the thunder run seems safer
Old 08-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
If there is a race in the parking lot should the spectator be allowed in the middle of the "track".

It's kind of a no win arguement for any side being these are not races but in a way treated by the participants as well as spectator
I thought it wasn't a race?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.