If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: what to do?

My Boats:
    1993 baja shooter
    cleveland ohio

Angry what to do?

i want to be fair with mechanic,not sure what to do?.i was having problem with holley carb on 1993 503 mag.took boat in and mechanic said that i blew out power module?,and that holley marine carbs are junk and also this carb was to bigg for my i went along with his suggestion and replaced holly with a q-get{$885.00 installed}now the boat idles like crap,keeps on sputtering when i shut off and is smoking.i took back one time and they adjusted mixture,worked fine for 15 minutes and then back to running question is should i have mechanic rebuild holley and put back on ,and not pay the full $885.00 or have him just replace q-jet with another one.?

Platinum Member Platinum Member Quiet Storm's Avatar
    Lake Michigan
    If he ment the power valve, it takes about 15 minutes to change and cost about $8.00. Ask the guys on the technical Q & A section. They will know.

Charter Member #232 Charter Member Audiofn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
    Carlisle, MA USA
    I agree. He should have just replaced the Power valve for about 50 bucks with labor and sent you on your way!!! I do not know what engine you have now but if the engine was modified unless the guy really knows his stuff then he will have a VERY hard time getting the Q-jet to run correctly. There is a guy on the site called BO-Knows that seems to have these carbs fairly well wired so you can ask him. I have never heard ANYONE say that Holly marine carbs are junk.

Put your best foot forward!