West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR >

West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR

Notices

West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR

Old 08-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR

So I'm working a project in the Boston area and will be out here for a couple months. Caught a ride with Sick Stinger (Mike and Denise) on 36 Apache with a pair of strong 600's for incredible day on the Eastern Seaboard. I can't thank you guys enough for getting me out and seeing some completely different boating!

There was a great turn out with a good number of boats. Not sure of exact count but I'm thinking maybe 40? A lot of Ciggy's, Outerlimits, Scarabs, Fountains and especially interesting to me were a few Sutphens. There is a Sutphen that I've been thinking about for a while now and know they have a great reputation but I've never actually seen one in person.
Attached Thumbnails West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3475.jpg   West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3478.jpg   West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3492.jpg  

West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3493.jpg   West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3495.jpg   West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3612.jpg  

Old 08-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Registered

Saw this pretty blue Sutphen. Loved the color but you couldn't run that on the west coast 'cause you'd melt your feet on the deck!

This 38 Sutphen had big blower motors and #6's drives....bad ass!
Attached Thumbnails West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3479.jpg   West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3609.jpg   West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3610.jpg  

West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3611.jpg   West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3614.jpg   West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3626.jpg  

Old 08-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Registered

Got to meet Mr Banana Boat himself, Charlie McCarthy. Very nice gentleman. Not only that, he had Bobby Saccenti on the phone to talk to Mike, the Apache owner! A couple of off shore racing royalty in one sitting!
Attached Thumbnails West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3613.jpg  
Old 08-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Registered

So all day long I'm looking at this Gun thinking it looks just like Dan's boat. At the end of the day they tie up next to us and I showed a picture of Dan's boat to the owners saying it looks just like my friend's boat. The guy asks if his name is Dan and I said yes. Turns out he just bought it from Dan about a month ago. So I've been in the same boat on both coasts!
Attached Thumbnails West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3496.jpg   West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3569.jpg  
Old 08-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Registered

The Pacific can get pretty nasty and I figured an Apache would be a great boat when the water gets rough out here. I've always liked Apaches but never had the opportunity to ride in one so when offered a ride in his I jumped on it. All my suspicions were confirmed. They call them a resin bucket but it really feels like a steel liner coated with concrete! We had very flat water expect for a couple spots but you can just tell how solid the hull is.

We're going to take a run out to Block Island in a couple weeks and I'll get to see how it runs in the open Atlantic but so far, I'm a drinker of the Apache cool aid!
Attached Thumbnails West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3616.jpg   West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3629.jpg  
Old 08-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Registered

Newport, CA has some rich fockers but I think Newport, RI has them beat!
Attached Thumbnails West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3599.jpg   West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3601.jpg   West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3603.jpg  

West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3604.jpg   West Coast Roving Reporter Heads East - Fall River PR-img_3607.jpg  
Old 08-10-2014, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
Got to meet Mr Banana Boat himself, Charlie McCarthy. Very nice gentleman. Not only that, he had Bobby Saccenti on the phone to talk to Mike, the Apache owner! A couple of off shore racing royalty in one sitting!
Pleasure meeting you guys too. I couldn't resist, as I was standing in the food line, the couple in front of me had Apache shirts on and we started talking about Apache and Bobby Saccenti. The guy told me that he spoke to Bobby once and he was a real down to earth guy and very helpful.

So after lunch I called Bobby and said there is a guy here who said you are a nice guy.....is that true? He laughed and I walked over and put the guy's wife on with Bobby. Couldn't find the guy himself, but at least the wife spoke to him.

Back in the late 50's I ran in a race that started in Newport and went out in the ocean around Jamestown island, back up the bay and just about covered the same course we ran yesterday. This has been one of my favorite poker runs because it brings back those old memories. Much nicer to do the run in something bigger than my original 14 footer molded plywood boat with a single 40 HP outboard. Yes, the ocean part of the course was a bit much for that boat, but that day started an addiction that I still have.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Good stuff Al! Thanks for the pics.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Cool story. Days like that is what great boating is all about.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Yesterday was a great day, minimal breakdowns, perfect weather, and great turnout!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.