48 MTI AND 40 Skater classic differences...my observations >

48 MTI AND 40 Skater classic differences...my observations

Notices

48 MTI AND 40 Skater classic differences...my observations

Old 08-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 48 MTI AND 40 Skater classic differences...my observations

I have had several people ask what my thoughts are on these two boats, so here it goes. Please keep in mind these are my personal observations only and your experience may vary!
Just for clarification, the Skater was set up with 1100 Q c4V turbo motors and 6 drives, the MTI has 1350's and 8R's. Also, the MTI is the new 48 G6 version.
First of all they are BOTH super nice boats in their own way so it really comes down to some relatively small differences between the two.
The fit and finish in both boats is outstanding! Being that Skater builds every deck to suit, there is more customization to be had. However, the new G6 deck and cockpit has enough built in molding in the deck to eliminate ALL flex. It is extremely solid even in rough water. Regarding paint finish, either boat taken to Visual Imagination will come out flawless. Mark takes the time to do them right.
Interior wise, the MTI is phenomenal. The windshield eliminates wind in the cockpit, even for the rear seat passengers. The 8 seat layout gives everyone a great view and normal conversation at 120 MPH plus is easily achieved. The access to fenders and lines, as well as ample storage for small items really make the boat useable for all outings.
Regarding handling, even though prop and spacer selection is not finished (8R's are different to set up than standard 8's), the MTI handles extremely well with no surprises all the way to the top speed range (let's say 170 plus for now). The Skater always felt "flighty" in that it required a more nose high trim angle to get the speed out of it. I know the 388 style hull dialed in correctly is not that way, I have run with one.
The ride of the MTI is where the extra length and weight really shine. I can run in LOTO slop all day long and not feel beat up at the end of the day. My wife likes riding in this boat and definitely did not like the Skater ride. It was just too flighty and rough riding for her.
Realize that set up and prop selection can change a lot, particularly with a classic bottom Skater. I have ridden a lot in orthobams 40 classic, and his rides much better than mine did.

At the end of the day, for the type of boating that I do, the MTI is a better fit, mostly because of the ride and convenience of the interior set up. MTI has a philosophy of building whatever the customer wants, regardless! That made the boat building experience a great one!

I post this to answer some question and not to start a bashing thread of any kind, so please do not turn it into one, that is not the intent! They truly both are great machines and get better with each and every new model. I look forward to seeing what both these companies and others release in the future!
The following users liked this post:
OPS VZLA (01-23-2023)
Old 08-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

That's interesting, I have always been told Skaters were better in rough cause of the deeper tunnel. I think the 2 companies make each other better with competition. I would say this tho- the more comfortable something is to drive and the less hung out it is- normally means it's slower. Lol ... And as far as building what u want, It shows that's true cause MTI builds some wild boats, which I for one is a big reason why I'm a skater fan, straight business and the way they look on Thier own is enough for me. I'd say some of the stuff people build into these boats are utterly ridiculous and unimaginable for performance boats, some options belong on cruisers, and I agree with Pete when he doesn't want to do some of the completely DUMB DUMB DUMB stuff that some of these people want in a PERFORMANCE boat. Just my opinion.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Registered

I agree. That, however is up to the customer at MTI.
There is a big difference in a performance boat and a race boat, IMHO. I want a boat that is enjoyable to use, handles well and is fast. The extra speed I would get from a race boat converted to pleasure use is not worth it to me. For that I will buy a race boat. Lol
Old 08-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
I agree. That, however is up to the customer at MTI.
There is a big difference in a performance boat and a race boat, IMHO. I want a boat that is enjoyable to use, handles well and is fast. The extra speed I would get from a race boat converted to pleasure use is not worth it to me. For that I will buy a race boat. Lol
All in fun, i really like how your boat looks, really dig the bull face/heads super cool.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Funny story from back in the day when Outerlimits was no body. A friend of mine went to see Skip and told him he wanted a generater and AC in a new Cigarette. Skip told him he does not build condos he builds boats....need to say my buddy was pissed and had Outerlimits build him a boat with AC and generator. Fast forward years later and look at Outerlimints. Good for MTI listening to their customers....since the customers do pay the bills.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Registered

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527625[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]527624[/ATTACH]A pic of both boats :
Attached Thumbnails 48 MTI AND 40 Skater classic differences...my observations-image.jpg   48 MTI AND 40 Skater classic differences...my observations-image.jpg  
Old 08-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For me (and I think for John), it would come down to the fact that we have breakfast with the guy who builds the boats. He has to look you in the eye every Saturday of the summer if your boat is not what was promised. You also have Bob Bull at the table who is going to win the worlds before it's all said and done and he's pumping his money to MTI.

Now if Peter buys a home at LOTO and brings a boat to run with us to breakfast then he would absolutely sell some new boats.

I think in these situations, it comes down to more than bottom design, tunnel width, and the blah blah blahs, and more about customer relations at least in this part of the country.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
[ATTACH=CONFIG]527625[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]527624[/ATTACH]A pic of both boats :
You should have kept the Skater as a spare. That is the still the most perfect boat I have ever seen.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks summer O ... my dream boat was a 36 mti with 1350's ... till now ... raising the steaks is insane from the paint to the 8 seats 170 + mph

may i ask one thing please .....

MORE PIXS AND VIDEOS

CONGRATS ITS ONE OF A KIND
Old 08-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Registered

Bunch of pics in the MTI section here! More coming throughout the rest of the summer!
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.