Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Will 224 fall at this years shootout? >

Will 224 fall at this years shootout?

Notices

Will 224 fall at this years shootout?

Old 08-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was powering the Bud hydroplane boat back in 06 or 07 at Shooters when he went topgun? That was a single engine boat upwards of 180?
I don't think Qatar would be coming if they didn't feel they had a good shot at the record.

Safe travels to all heading that way next week.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not the "normal" boat wakes that will get you. It's those 3-4 50+ ft cruisers side by side heading up the channel pushing several thousand acre/ft of water that are killers! I saw several "<24ft boats" last year that literally disappeared in those holes! I was looking back at a small tri-hull and shouted "Hey! Where'd that boat go? Oh, there it is, nope, it's gone again." Crazy!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:37 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in a 36 footer and last year on our way home, I came up behind a 50+ foot cruiser, backed down a bit and got awesome air with a perfect landing. Then I got back on the sticks thinking I was in the clear. Ooops....forgot about the 6-8 ft frontal wave. Hit that thing, chopped the sticks and dropped straight down into a huge hole. No lie, I thought we were going to sink from a cracked hull we hit so hard !!! Lesson learned and shared
Old 08-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Does anyone know the top speed the Qatar boat has run on a longer test run and not a short mile course? What do you all think the top speed could be with all that extra HP on a long run with no restrictions? Can someone do the math on HP to weight? That's not a little more power than the T55 THATS A $HIT LOAD MORE. Is 300 MPH possible?
Old 08-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Are you gonna run?
im gonna run up one hell of a bar bill!
Old 08-14-2014, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Does anyone know the top speed the Qatar boat has run on a longer test run and not a short mile course? What do you all think the top speed could be with all that extra HP on a long run with no restrictions? Can someone do the math on HP to weight? That's not a little more power than the T55 THATS A $HIT LOAD MORE. Is 300 MPH possible?
It is a T55....
Old 08-14-2014, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
I'm in a 36 footer and last year on our way home, I came up behind a 50+ foot cruiser, backed down a bit and got awesome air with a perfect landing. Then I got back on the sticks thinking I was in the clear. Ooops....forgot about the 6-8 ft frontal wave. Hit that thing, chopped the sticks and dropped straight down into a huge hole. No lie, I thought we were going to sink from a cracked hull we hit so hard !!! Lesson learned and shared

LOTO waves have cracked many boats!! It's not open ocean or lake Michigan, but until you have experienced it, especially after the shootout, you want to be careful.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 573 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
im gonna run up one hell of a bar bill!
**** now you're speaking my language. Need someone to back up the trailer?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 573 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
They figured my way could do 240+. With all the extra power this boat has I suspect 250+ is theoretically possible. But damn, saying it and doing it are far different things. Serious cajones required.

Would phenomenon have a shot?
Old 08-15-2014, 05:09 AM
Registered

Received 794 Likes on 449 Posts

Having dramatic HP advantage over MY WAY isn't a guaranteed record setter unless they can put all that power to the water and have the driveline / props hold up.. it is after all a 50' cat on a liquid dragway. How much trial and error testing must Tomlison's crew have goine through to go from 208 to the 224?

That said I would like to see 224 fall just as a natural progression of people pushing the evolutionary envelope of man vs. machine.... providing everyone goes home at night safe and sound.

There is another Mystic that I would like to see make a pass or twol... pistons are cranking out some crazy HP since Dave/JT ran their 208 pass

Last edited by speicher lane; 08-15-2014 at 05:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.