Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat Renaming:  I have to do it, but I'm superstitious >

Boat Renaming: I have to do it, but I'm superstitious

Notices

Boat Renaming: I have to do it, but I'm superstitious

Old 08-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you arent the one doing the work, then technically, you arent changing the name...the sign guy/guys are.

Just sayin

edit: or maybe the boats pissed bc you took its bimini top and put it on the tractor ?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill
O.K. I bought a 1982 38' excaliber with twin 510ci TPI big blocks. I've overhauled just about everything on it over the last 8 weeks and finally got both motors running well yesterday. The boat has been on the trailer for the last 6 years and was in pieces when I bought it.

First the engines didn't want to turn over. Then every hydraulic cylinder on the stern had to be rebuilt (that proved to be a nightmare since they are the original cylinders). The fuel system wasn't delivering fuel so I had to clean it twice and that wasn't fun. All hydraulic lines, water hoses, and fuel lines have been replaced.

So here's the deal. It's named the BoilerMaker because the first owner had it in Michigan. Every time, literally, for the last 8 weeks that I've gone to work on her here in kinda not so crappy North FL, it has rained heavily or just had lightning storms. And all of this happens after years of drought conditions. I figure the boat is protesting because it doesn't like its name and you will see why if you look it up on urbandictionary.com (please don't post the results).

So, with that being said, I think I will have to rename and christen her the RainMaker. Thoughts? And since I'm stupid-stitious, what ceremonies do you guys think are appropriate? I've seen a ton out there and yes, part of the ceremonies are for fun with friends and a few drinks (without the boat being in the water or being put in the water afterwards).

Thoughts?

I think you have an awesome boat there! I for one am still very partial to the old school offshore look, and the prior owner must have been a Purdue fan so change that name!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the boat is new to you, you are allowed to change the name........Cant change it again if you dont like it though!!!!
Old 08-13-2014, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the name of a boat one time, and I'll never do that again. Worst luck I ever had, just make sure you get the towing insurance if you decide to change it without a proper ceremony.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:39 AM
Registered

Put bras on your head, wear girls panties and half shirts.....o wait, that's Wierd Science never mind!!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Changed the name on our boat for a poker run 2 weeks ago and blew up an XR drive. New drive and original name put back on and all is good in the universe. I'm not superstitious but if a sticker can keep the boat together, I'm all for trying.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Google it, there's a very elaborate procedure to change the name.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Registered

I did a rename and motor change all is good. nice transportation bet she pulls out of ramp real strong.

Last edited by trannyjoe; 08-13-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Registered

I renamed my boat and motor oh after my motors came apart

Last edited by trannyjoe; 08-13-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superstition is weakness.

I say perform the ceremony, have some fun, and good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.