Season over....tossed a rod... >

Season over....tossed a rod...

Notices

Season over....tossed a rod...

Old 08-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Manley makes a reasonably priced "h-beam" rod.
Made in USA.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by rmbuilder
Full Force,

The PBM connecting rod is a Scat with either a 8740 or 2000 bolt depending upon how it was optioned.

Secondly if you look at the connecting rod, what’s left of the bearing in both the upper shell area and the rod cap exhibit extreme bluing from excessive heat. The considerable heat buildup in that area resulted in the bearing grabbing the crankshaft, at that point the rod and bolts failed as a result of the bearing seizing. It appears the connecting rod assembly may be collateral damage rather than the root cause the failure.

Looking at the second photo it also appears a fracture occurred right in the radius of the rod bolt seat which would be consistent with a connecting rod seizure at the journal.

It’s a bit difficult to analyze from just these two pictures, however it would appear that this may not have been a parts related failure. If you shoot me over couple more pictures I’d be happy to take a look at them for you.

Bob
I will get more pics when I pull it and year down for sure, I am confident the cause was spun bearing not sure why but I know I don't trust the guy that built them before I had them, who knows if he checked stuff properly I was hoping to make it rest of season and redo them but this made me do it early.

Would you use the pbm stuff in a budget situation like this? I am so wise about having mismatched parts want both same but other engine runs fine, don't want to buy new stuff there besides rod bolts, wanna reuse crank and rods (both pbm) the cost to buy new for both engines and re balance isn't able to be done this year, but I can afford easily to re ring and bearing other engine
Old 08-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Are you sure the other motor has pbm parts? I'm tearing down a 468 out of a top gun that has 7 Oliver rods and one no name in it.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

But in the defense of whoever put it together, it's been this way quite a while and was not the cause of failure!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:44 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

I'd call it Beth, just because.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Full Force
Thanks guys I wonder like even with the pbm stuff in there who actually makes it? Stuff looks nice and is almost the same money as others .... Is there really much difference once it's all machined and checked? That's what I wanna research, I don't need crazy expensive parts as I have a 1985 35 cig I don't need 30,000.00 engines you know? Luckily the recipe parts are there just need to rebuild...
its all in the forging process,,you can take a piece of steel and compress it 10 times to make it strong (eagle,scat,ohio,procomp)..then you can take the same steel and compress it 100 times to smash steel tighter to make them stronger (crower,lunati,) which is why some cranks are more expensive.. then their are cranks like winberg and bryant which go to another level to make them look like a show piece and rods like oliver which are also strong as hell compared to the cheaper eagle and scat..
Old 08-18-2014, 05:17 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Yup,
And it's About the metal itself and metal's certification process too.
Not everyone's 4340 is the same. No, nope, no way, nada.
On top of that, some companies have special ingredients to make the rod stronger.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by lil red
Are you sure the other motor has pbm parts? I'm tearing down a 468 out of a top gun that has 7 Oliver rods and one no name in it.
Yes, both were same parts, I added oil pressure and at that time looked all over them, 55psi was not enough for me, had issues in past with that...
Old 08-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by lil red
But in the defense of whoever put it together, it's been this way quite a while and was not the cause of failure!
true kinda, past owners did not beat them at all, and the issues I found when I took them out made me not too confident, I wont even bring up the lack of port matching... that will be addressed also, like I said I am in them cheap, but don't wanna reinvent the wheel with them either, just maximize what's there...
Old 08-18-2014, 05:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I get all that, I guess my question is are the PBM rods ok for my application? they don't look like Chitty rods, I mean they are upgrade to something no? they look as good as Scat, Eagle and such, going to see my machinist tonight to see what he says.... open late on Mondays...

Originally Posted by FIXX
its all in the forging process,,you can take a piece of steel and compress it 10 times to make it strong (eagle,scat,ohio,procomp)..then you can take the same steel and compress it 100 times to smash steel tighter to make them stronger (crower,lunati,) which is why some cranks are more expensive.. then their are cranks like winberg and bryant which go to another level to make them look like a show piece and rods like oliver which are also strong as hell compared to the cheaper eagle and scat..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.