Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sea Ray Pachanga 32 good beginner go fast boat? >

Sea Ray Pachanga 32 good beginner go fast boat?

Notices

Sea Ray Pachanga 32 good beginner go fast boat?

Old 08-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea Ray Pachanga 32 good beginner go fast boat?

Hello all just bought a very clean very low hour's searay pachanga 32 with twin 454's. To be honest this is my first "go fast" boat . So far I like it very much have only had her out a few times she has a spacious cabin and she run's just shy of 65 on the GPS which feels way fast when your like me and have mostly owned cruisers prior to this I had a Bertram which was great but I figured if I'm going to keep blowing through so much fuel I want to be getting some where hah. Any ways I live on the northern tip of lake michigan and seem to run into some pretty big waves. On my Bertram all you had to do was put the bow up and let the belly punch through the waves. You could hardly feel anything less than 5 footers. But as I learned my second time out . This pachanga will not be handling the waves the same way. So anyway I've heard opinions both ways some say it's a heavy old boat some say they were pretty light for the size. What can I realistically expect this boat to handle? And what is a good way to handle large chop ? Do j just force the bow all the way down with the tabs and then bring it up a few clicks so she is not stuffing the waves hard? I never leave my trim all the way down once I'm planed out is that wrong? Do I just have to get used to running at a slower cruising speed in the rough? There are some very large very expensive speed boats running out here and rough water doesn't seem to slow them down much. So are they just taking a pounding or is it a you get what you pay for scenario and I can't expect my 32 pachanga to do what they can? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 32 Pachanga, along time ago, it was quite a "wet" boat, in saying that it was pretty heavily built boat by sea ray standards, and I had it out in some pretty decent weather, they are no cigarette/outerlimits etc, but for the price of them not a bad old girl.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Greatguy66
No!
Haha ok well I didn't know what to expect. I would expect a 32 to take just about anything you could throw at it . She does look like she is sticking in the water alot more than the larger offshore boats cruising. But like I said I've had cruiser most my life so I didn't know what to expect I thought maybe I didn't know how to handle the pachanga yet. Being that long and I think around 6800?#'s you would think it could put through the rough just fine.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a 32 Envision for a few years, basically the same bottom with minor changes to the strakes. There's hardly any rocker in the hull so it runs pretty flat to begin with, you shouldn't need much tab on the top end. Yes, you do want to trim up the drives once on plane. As you trim up your speed will increase. You will know when you trim too far, just trim back down a little and leave it there.

The people in those large expensive speed boats look like they are comfortable because they are. On rough weekends at LOTO in the Envision anything over 40 mph was uncomfortable.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:22 AM
Registered

Yeah I am figuring that out now. I can't run near full speed in big choppy waves like they can still a nice boat just coming from large cruisers like I've had I'm not used to going that fast through big waves anyways. Just going through a bit of a learning curve I guess hah