Best boat shop floor coating?

Notices

Best boat shop floor coating?

Old 08-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Best boat shop floor coating?

The new boat shop construction is finishing up, I'm looking for guidance as to what is the best coating to use. I used the Sears garage floor coating on the other shop and it SUUUUUUUUUUUUUKS. The floor is brushed concrete, so there needs to be some viscosity to cover. A relatively smooth finish would be nice. I'm willing to spend decent $, more concerned of a durable, easily cleaned surface.

I appreciate any advice you can share.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice would be to consult a professional. A true industrial floor epoxy will do anything you want and they'll know how to properly apply it.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I used the one from Home Depot on my house garage and it is awesome. I cleared it and everything wipes right up easily
Old 08-19-2014, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Should've kept the finisher going until the concrete was burned and sparks were flying then your floor would be polished concrete and better than any coating you could ever put on it, but it's too late for that.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528117[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by 302Sport
Should've kept the finisher going until the concrete was burned and sparks were flying then your floor would be polished concrete and better than any coating you could ever put on it, but it's too late for that.
Only way to go, cheap too if you contract the finishers yourself. I did have to buy them beer and fried chicken /pizza but they worked until 4am to finish 7000ft of concrete so smooth I could hardly walk on it when damp for six months
Attached Thumbnails Best boat shop floor coating?-p1020496.jpg  
Old 08-20-2014, 02:03 AM
Registered

I would strongly suggest you go for a professional first. Ask advice before you buy anything to save money.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:37 AM
Registered

google "Durabak"
Old 08-20-2014, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done a few exopy coatings. we use Benjamin moore industrial coatings, get the local factory rep involved . they are glad to help and give better pricing than the store can. if this is a working shop , water on the floor , you will want to add grit the epoxy gets real slippery. do not use the home depo / menards rustolium stuff it is worth the money and effort to use a 2part epoxy . you will probably have to grind floor and prime . the rep will come out and tell you and he will give you a complete list with good instruction, or steer you to a contractor
Old 08-20-2014, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
[ATTACH=CONFIG]528117[/ATTACH]

Only way to go, cheap too if you contract the finishers yourself. I did have to buy them beer and fried chicken /pizza but they worked until 4am to finish 7000ft of concrete so smooth I could hardly walk on it when damp for six months
Yup lots of beer and one late night, but it's well worth it, as it will look like that 25 years from now.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I may have to redo my garage floor and Thought about just dying the concrete when I go to re-apply. My dad did the epoxy in his garage a few years ago and after dropping a few wrenches (big wrenches) it was chipping. It was professionally done as well. If I don't Stain my floor I will be going with the Vinyl Composite Black and White tile. And it's cheap to boot! Good Luck Barry! Is the shop Local in our area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.